Mater Dei

iowawrestlingfan

First of all, I know the MD program very well. Wrestled in it, have done some coaching in it and have family that have wrestled and coached in it. I think it is fair to say that we have had a down year. However, I DO NOT want to take anything away from Castle, they are a great team with a very good coach that had built a great program with great fan support. The fact is without MD, Castle would be the premier program in S. Indiana. They were runners-up the last two years of the big tourney and have never had a chance to make it to team state because of the MD teams.

But with this being said. MD had a down year. Maybe what MatChick said with the "transition" seniors, but this is only the 2nd time that I can remember the seniors not stepping up and winning the matches they had to win( the first time was against Portage in '04) to win the dual meet. 2 out of 7 seniors win against Castle at the team regionals. This doesn't happen at MD very often. I know that the seniors usually prided themselves on winning the matches no matter what and always did what it took to pull off the win. This years seniors? Let's just say I am disappointed. Also, people who follow MD wrestling knew we had a chance of getting beat by a S.I. team the past two years. We are just pleased that the coaching staff was able to get us a runner-up placing one of these two down years(I know we shouldn't be glad with 2nd place, but being realistic, the coaches and wrestlers did a great job). I firmly believe that MD will be back and will be Team State champs again with a short period of time.

Good Luck Castle, Show the rest of the state what we in Southwestern Indiana already know,  that you guys are for real.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mayerna,

You just cost my company some $$$ - I was getting ready to log off and get some work done but now I feel the need to monitor the board to see what kind of responses you generate.   :o    Calling out the seniors will likely get you a few Private Messages..............I'm also trying to decypher your screen name ??? 

Nice to see you are alive, Andrew. And I wasn't really trying to call these seniors out, per se. But if you have been through the program and know MD, we rely on our seniors to get us through the tough duals and to pick up the underclassmen when they have tough matches. MD has done this well for the past 15 years and when it doesn't happen, it shocks people around the program, that's all. I do think the seniors had a good year in the fact that they beat some top-notch teams (Castle, the first time, included), they did well in Ohio and St Louis, but every MD team knows that not making it to Team State is a disappointment and a terrible way to end your senior year at MD. Every senior at MD wants to leave some kind of legacy and for yours to be the first team not to make it to state, it would be quite disappointing. In a way, I feel sorry for these seniors, and for their senior year at MD to finish this way.

Nick, graduated in 1996. Member of the 95 and 96 MD football and wrestling teams. Andrew and Jon H, can you answer me which year was MD's best team 03 or 96? I've been in an discussion with some friends and wonder what your opins would be. I could even write you the line-ups. I believe 96 wins hands down.

First of all, I know the MD program very well. Wrestled in it, have done some coaching in it and have family that have wrestled and coached in it. I think it is fair to say that we have had a down year. However, I DO NOT want to take anything away from Castle, they are a great team with a very good coach that had built a great program with great fan support. The fact is without MD, Castle would be the premier program in S. Indiana. They were runners-up the last two years of the big tourney and have never had a chance to make it to team state because of the MD teams.

But with this being said. MD had a down year. Maybe what MatChick said with the "transition" seniors, but this is only the 2nd time that I can remember the seniors not stepping up and winning the matches they had to win( the first time was against Portage in '04) to win the dual meet. 2 out of 7 seniors win against Castle at the team regionals. This doesn't happen at MD very often. I know that the seniors usually prided themselves on winning the matches no matter what and always did what it took to pull off the win. This years seniors? Let's just say I am disappointed. Also, people who follow MD wrestling knew we had a chance of getting beat by a S.I. team the past two years. We are just pleased that the coaching staff was able to get us a runner-up placing one of these two down years(I know we shouldn't be glad with 2nd place, but being realistic, the coaches and wrestlers did a great job). I firmly believe that MD will be back and will be Team State champs again with a short period of time.

Good Luck Castle, Show the rest of the state what we in Southwestern Indiana already know,  that you guys are for real.

WOW - You should be ashamed of posting something like this about these kids and the MD program. Did it make you feel better or where you just trying to make those seniors who have given 12 years of their life to this program feel even worse than they already do??  By getting on here and making a post like this you just demonstrates your lack of understanding of the issues around this program. It's good to know that from your perspective a coach or former coach that you feel the coaches were able to secure a 2nd place finish for MD last year. It's people like you that remind me of the phrase

"People in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones".

WOW - You should be ashamed of posting something like this about these kids and the MD program. Did it make you feel better or where you just trying to make those seniors who have given 12 years of their life to this program feel even worse than they already do??  By getting on here and making a post like this you just demonstrates your lack of understanding of the issues around this program. It's good to know that from your perspective a coach or former coach that you feel the coaches were able to secure a 2nd place finish for MD last year. It's people like you that remind me of the phrase

But if you are trapped in a glass house, you should throw a stone. ;)

I guess your right if you like a thousand pieces of glass falling on your head.

Its from Demetri Martin's stand up routine on Comedy Central.

Its from Demetri Martin's stand up routine on Comedy Central.

i thought i was the only one who liked dimitri. only people in glass houses should throw stones- hilarious

Well Nick, I know you?ve got a soft spot for the '96 team and it was an awesome lineup, how many went to state that year 13? That was impressive, I can remember semi-state that year and during the ticket round I couldn't believe my eyes! Now as for the 03 team with 4 state champs and one runner-up if I remember right that's hard to beat. If you had the line ups side by side I'd be able to at least make an informed guess. Needless to say both were outstanding years for MD I'm not sure we'll see another squad like them, but we all thought that after the '96 team too. Nice to hear from you.

Maximus, I think you need to pipe down a bit, Mayorna's got a point, even in the early 90's when Team state was a dream MD wrestlers and fans were more than confident of a top 5 finish year in and year out in a team format. When they announced the team state we all thought "This is our bread a butter" so yes, it is a disappointment not to be at state.

Well Nick, I know you?ve got a soft spot for the '96 team and it was an awesome lineup, how many went to state that year 13? That was impressive, I can remember semi-state that year and during the ticket round I couldn't believe my eyes! Now as for the 03 team with 4 state champs and one runner-up if I remember right that's hard to beat. If you had the line ups side by side I'd be able to at least make an informed guess. Needless to say both were outstanding years for MD I'm not sure we'll see another squad like them, but we all thought that after the '96 team too. Nice to hear from you.

Maximus, I think you need to pipe down a bit, Mayorna's got a point, even in the early 90's when Team state was a dream MD wrestlers and fans were more than confident of a top 5 finish year in and year out in a team format. When they announced the team state we all thought "This is our bread a butter" so yes, it is a disappointment not to be at state.

Although I will agree the 96 team was good, I'm gonna have to go with the 03 team.  4 Champs, 1 runner-up, and two 3rd place(those two being knocked out in the semis by Angel Escobedo and Alex Tsirtsis, respectively)...that's just hard to beat.

You know Hawk I respect your thoughts I've read many of them. I don't think you should be telling me to pipe down, until you or Nick has a son wrestle on MD team I'm pretty sure you are not there yet.

I think you two need to be asking some basic questions before getting on here and calling the team and the seniors out:

1. Did I do anything this year to help these guys have success? I know the answer to that is NO

2. Do you really think these guys aren't disappointed? I'm pretty sure neither of you will truly understand how disappointed they are.

3. You implied the seniors didn't have pride? I disagree with you and my evidence of this is that Castle qualified 8 kids for State, that was the second most of any school that qualified for Team State the only one with more was Mish with 9. I don't care who you are, there are days that sometimes a team or a kid is better than you on that day.

4. Is there nothing in your lives that haven't left someone you care about with disappointment?  I would guess there is, (I wonder how they acted toward you? Did they get on the internet and blast you?) and yes these guys understood and cared about the fact that they were wrestling for the ones that came before them, and the MD families, and their coaches past and present.

Lastly I'm going to send you and Nick a private message and I can only hope you understand what the heck I'm talking about......

MD Seniors and Wrestling Team:

Were proud of you guys!! Regret is a double edged sword, you can use it to wallow in self pity and ulitimately gain nothing, or you can use it as a cataylst to propel yourselves to bigger and greater things. I know each of you will take this and turn it into something positive in your lives.

With slight modifications!

Bruce Springsteen

Song: "Glory Days"

Album: "Born In The USA"

I had a friend was a big wrestling star

Back in high school

He could throw that side headlock

Make you look like a fool boy

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar

I was walking in, he was walking out

We went back inside sat down had a few drinks

but all he kept talking about was

Glory days well they'll pass you by

Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye

Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block

back in school she could turn all the boy's heads

Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by

and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed

Her and her husband Bobby well they split up

I guess it's two years gone by now

We just sit around talking about the old times,

she says when she feels like crying

she starts laughing thinking about

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight

and I'm going to drink till I get my fill

And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it

but I probably will

Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture

a little of the glory of, well time slips away

and leaves you with nothing mister but

boring stories of glory days

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.