Mater Dei

iowawrestlingfan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mater Dei competed at a high level this year.  They did beat Castle early on in the year along with Merriville and Reitz.  If MD wins 140 and 160 against Castle last Wednesday (Appell pinning at 103) then they would be going to team state.  Sometimes things do not always work out.  I am sure they will be back on top soon.

WOW are you seriously calling out these kids on the internet?? Appell wrestled 112 and Lannert wrestled 103 and had the Castle kids shoulders buried in the mat but did not get the fall. Point is MD did not get the pin, so even if 140 & 160 win MD still loses 23-22.

The real question should be how does MD beat Castle 32-12 in December and then lose 29-16 in February??

it's simple caslte went in and worked over Christmas and came in with a chip on their shoulders and out wrestled mater dei and showed them no matter how much ski you drink you still have to come out and wrestle your hardest to win come tourney time or you oI home and watch it all from your couch

it's simple caslte went in and worked over Christmas and came in with a chip on their shoulders and out wrestled mater dei and showed them no matter how much ski you drink you still have to come out and wrestle your hardest to win come tourney time or you oI home and watch it all from your couch

I know what your saying I heard Castle has the toughest wrestling room in the state. Be careful with those bold predictions and statements they can come back to haunt you.......

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/feb/15/never-go-ot-with-this-wrestler/

How is that going to haunt you?

The score when MD beat Castle in December wasn't indicative of how close the matches and meet just as the score of the Team Regional wasn't idicative of how close the matches and meet were.

I can tell you that Castle's room is a very difficult place to practice.

I think you would agree that there is a big difference with being a difficult place to practice and the toughest room in the state.

All the petty b.s. aside, what does the future hold for Mater Dei and Castle?  I don't mean in the next two weeks, that much is clear.  I'm thinking three and four years down the road.  I personally think that Mater Dei has lost some of their best athletes to basketball since they won the state title a few years back.  I have talked to several Mater Dei backers that think this has happened.  That being said, their youth program is loaded with state placers.

How about Castle?  Can they build upon this season?  They look good for the next year or two at the high school level and  Harmon is obviously a fantastic coach because Castle's youth program has not been noted as strong in the past.

It will be very nice to have another high caliber program in the south to compete with all the teams up north.  The competition will force the teams to get better and better.

How is that going to haunt you?

The score when MD beat Castle in December wasn't indicative of how close the matches and meet just as the score of the Team Regional wasn't idicative of how close the matches and meet were.

I can tell you that Castle's room is a very difficult place to practice.

I think you would agree that there is a big difference with being a difficult place to practice and the toughest room in the state.

What I am saying man is Castle is going to go in there and wrestle as hard as they can.  If they wrestle as well as they have been lately, then they are going to be a very tough team to beat.

How is saying that we have the toughtest room in the state going to "haunt you"?  I can tell you that Coach Harmon has to be one of the toughest coaches in the state if not the toughest.  To me, that is a huge part of the "toughness" of the room.

Now if you are quoted as saying "I am going to go rip Andrew Howe a new one this weekend", or "we are going up to Center Grove and are going to walk through that field" it might haunt you.

But commenting on the quality of your teammates and practices will not haunt you.

Come on Max.  Why do you want to pick a Net fight with everyone?

I'm picking a fight are you serious.  I was commenting on someone from MD post and you two chimed in, and I'm convinced that you need some help, becuase anyone who thinks Harmon is the toughest coach in the state is in need of some counseling, or did you mean to say he's the shortest coach in the state?? LOL

Nick,

Let me try and explain it to you:

1. During this week and next you want to be low key and out of sight out of mind, you don't want a bulls eye put on your back, or a newspaper article(s) placed on Delphi's or Perry Meridian's/Mishwaka wrestling room wall. More importantly you don't want everyone to have extra incentive to take you down, or anymore than is already there.

2. You don't want Calvin Sullivan (40-1 Cathedral) to know that you love to take matches into overtime and hope you get the win there. Because Calvin now knows that he shouldn't tie up and he should attack from all angles and get you off your feet, which as stated in the article that you prefer being on your feet.

Do you have it now? Not adhering to these rules may in effect create a "Haunting" effect for you or your team.

Lastly I'm officially picking a net fight with you......LOL

103 Appel, Lannert - Freshman

112 May, Adler - Freshman

119 Schroeder - Sophomore

125 Henderson - Sophomore

130 Weinzapfel - Sophomore

135 Senior

140 Sims - Sophomore (with a strong Dane Maurer as freshman reserve)

145 Senior

152 Senior with a strong freshman reserve (Brandenstein)

160 Senior

171 Boots - Sophomore

189 - HVY Seniors

MD has a few holes to fill in the upper weights but this is a young team overall. Plus they have a decent group of 8th graders this year.

Nick,

Let me try and explain it to you:

1. During this week and next you want to be low key and out of sight out of mind, you don't want a bulls eye put on your back, or a newspaper article(s) placed on Delphi's or Perry Meridian's/Mishwaka wrestling room wall. More importantly you don't want everyone to have extra incentive to take you down, or anymore than is already there.

2. You don't want Calvin Sullivan (40-1 Cathedral) to know that you love to take matches into overtime and hope you get the win there. Because Calvin now knows that he shouldn't tie up and he should attack from all angles and get you off your feet, which as stated in the article that you prefer being on your feet.

Do you have it now? Not adhering to these rules may in effect create a "Haunting" effect for you or your team.

Lastly I'm officially picking a net fight with you......LOL

Those are well-reasoned, well oraganized thoughts.  As an English teacher, I 'd like to give you an B+.  Now if you would have given specific evidence to support either one  of your points, you would have recieved an A.

I can't Net Fight man.  My wife made me get of the computer last night to "spend time with" her.

Ok I don't want you to get in trouble with your wife. I officially withdraw my net fight challenge.

135 Senior

145 Senior

160 Senior

171 Boots - Sophomore

189 - HVY Seniors

MD has a few holes to fill in the upper weights but this is a young team overall. Plus they have a decent group of 8th graders this year.

I agree.  MD had a very young team this year, and those young boys performed quite well throughout the season, so they'll be back next year with another year of Varsity competition under their belts.  Also, the JV team has some solid talent throughout, and as you mentioned, the 8th graders coming in next year show a lot of strength.  And, another thing that hasn't been mentioned, but begs to be said (I think), is that MD is graduating those, what I call "transition" kids.  What I mean by that is that some kids have trouble adjusting to different coaching styles.  The kids next year will have had Schaefer for their wrestling coach the whole time and I think that does make a difference.

I think it's fair to say that MD may have had a down year, but even so, they managed to be competitive everywhere they went.  I would never look past MD, I think that's just asking for trouble.  Castle has had a very good team this year, but they are losing quite a few team members.  In fact, I'm looking at some of the young kids Reitz has this year, and wondering how tough they'll be next year (they've definitely got some young talent...with some good 8th graders coming in). 

Not that I'm letting MD off the hook...they'll have to be in the wrestling room busting their butts next year, but I'm not worried...that's what they train their entire life for.  MD will be back...I don't doubt it one bit.

Mater Dei competed at a high level this year.  They did beat Castle early on in the year along with Merriville and Reitz.  If MD wins 140 and 160 against Castle last Wednesday (Appell pinning at 103) then they would be going to team state.  Sometimes things do not always work out.  I am sure they will be back on top soon.

WOW are you seriously calling out these kids on the internet?? Appell wrestled 112 and Lannert wrestled 103 and had the Castle kids shoulders buried in the mat but did not get the fall. Point is MD did not get the pin, so even if 140 & 160 win MD still loses 23-22.

The real question should be how does MD beat Castle 32-12 in December and then lose 29-16 in February??

I know Appell wrestled 12 last Wednesday, but at the SIAC he pinned Doud in less than a minute.  Then if Lannert does not get pinned at 12, MD wins.  As far as calling these kids out on the internet, both of these wrestlers won the next time they wrestled a Castle wrestler (so did the MD 135).  As a MD fan, I think we expected these two to win, amoung others.  But this whole thread is calling out the WHOLE MD program. 

I do not want to take anything away form the MD wrestlers, they wrestled hard and have a lot to be proud of.  Castle has a great team this year.  Sending 8 to state is an acomplishment for any program.

I know Appell wrestled 12 last Wednesday, but at the SIAC he pinned Doud in less than a minute.  Then if Lannert does not get pinned at 12, MD wins.  As far as calling these kids out on the internet, both of these wrestlers won the next time they wrestled a Castle wrestler (so did the MD 135).  As a MD fan, I think we expected these two to win, amoung others.  But this whole thread is calling out the WHOLE MD program. 

I do not want to take anything away form the MD wrestlers, they wrestled hard and have a lot to be proud of.  Castle has a great team this year.  Sending 8 to state is an acomplishment for any program.

Mater Dei has always been a powerhouse of Southern Indiana.  Yes we have all established this, but what about all the other schools in Southern Indiana who produce great teams year after year and never get any recognition out of it.  For instance, Mater Dei has produced numerous state team titles but the rest of the teams who have finished behind them could have easily been beaten by other teams in Southern Indiana who are constantly being overshadowed by the ever great Mater Dei.  Look back to the Memorial era between '98 and 2004.  These Memorial teams held records of over 20 wins and under 5 losses.  However they never even produced a state champion until 2007.  Memorial in that era saw Mater Dei at least once before the team tourny was held.  Then they were in Mater Dei's regional (until 2002-2003 season).  Now they are in Mater Dei's sectional.  The point is Mater Dei is not the standard for Southern Indiana wrestling, they are the standard for Indiana high school wrestling.  Keep in mind they have been nationally ranked numerous times.  Don't count out the others that could set standards if Mater Dei never was.  Look at Castle High School.  They are the standard in Southern Indiana this year.

*This comment is in no way a shot at Mater Dei.  Eventually even the best of the best get beat.

Mater Dei is the one team in the state that has been able to consistantly produced high caliber line ups.  It's that plain and simple.

Castle, Reitz, Memorial, Mt Vernon, Princeton, Gibson Southern, and a host of others have produced strong teams frequently.

Strong individuals have come from every school in the South Western corner of the state!

In short, it has been a WILD race to see which team would be the first to beat Mater Dei.  Hat's off to them for making it such an insanely hard task!  BUT...It had to end someday, and it did. 

I think anyone who keeps up with local Wrestling will agree that year in and year out, a couple of local schools have been at the forefront of this Wildcat chase...Castle and Reitz.  Memorial, Princeton, and Gibson Southern have all fielded teams in the past that had the horses to get the job done.  But to their credit Mater Dei has defended their postion as the top dog with staggering success. 

Now that the string has been broken, I personally hope the years of single team domination are over.  It's really not been all that great for the sport as a whole.  Diversity is the key to growth in the States Wrestling Community.

Bluebolt,

I agree.  Last year I got on the other site and said that Castle had a chance to win a state championship.  Coach Harmon got on the site and ripped me.  Castle lost a 112 pounder that did not go out.  Their 130 got hurt this year and one of the varsity kids from last year could not find a home because his weight fell into too many studs.  This Castle team had a chance to be even better and they advanced 8.  They advanced as many as anyone in the state in a region that had the most ranked wrestlers.  Could have easily been 10.  Coach Harmon was sandbagging.  Mater Dei people were shocked they lost until Saturday when Castle sent 8 and they sent 2.  The perfect storm happened and Mater Dei fans left early.  Next year could be Reitz.  Mater Dei could be back.  But this is the year the Knights hard work has paid off.  Coach Harmon has even got to eat crow about calling me out.

Bluebolt,

I agree.  Last year I got on the other site and said that Castle had a chance to win a state championship.  Coach Harmon got on the site and ripped me.  Castle lost a 112 pounder that did not go out.  Their 130 got hurt this year and one of the varsity kids from last year could not find a home because his weight fell into too many studs.  This Castle team had a chance to be even better and they advanced 8.  They advanced as many as anyone in the state in a region that had the most ranked wrestlers.  Could have easily been 10.  Coach Harmon was sandbagging.  Mater Dei people were shocked they lost until Saturday when Castle sent 8 and they sent 2.  The perfect storm happened and Mater Dei fans left early.  Next year could be Reitz.  Mater Dei could be back.  But this is the year the Knights hard work has paid off.  Coach Harmon has even got to eat crow about calling me out.

Bob Harmon Eat Crow?  I would pay to see that happen!  LOL  I have NEVER met a more competitive person in my life.  I will also add that the lessons I learned from him have served me VERY well in my life....So all the Haters can Get Bent and Deal With It.

I don't see Coach Harmon Sandbagging at all.  He put a VERY talented group of kids on the mat last year and they fell (literally) a couple of inches short of beating Mater Dei at their own tourney.  This year the team has been magical.  I won't mince words on this - and no disrespect intended - the 112 that didn't come out...He QUIT his brothers on the mat.  He isn't missed at all.  The world has gone on without him in the Blue and Gold singlet and look what they have accomplished.  Sorry if that is "rude" but it's honest.

As for Zach Thomason getting hurt...My heart goes out to that young man.  He stepped up at the end of last season and filled a gap when Philip was hurt.  He performed EXCELLENTLY!    This year he wrestled his tail off too and proved he is "Knight Tough!".  He has handled his injury with class and maturity he and his family should be proud of!  This young man will succeed in whatever he choses to do in life.

The fact that a returning STUD kid had trouble making the line up is testiment to the talent of this team.  What other teams in the state can make the statement they couldn't get a kid into the line up that had beaten Drew Lappe of Mater Dei the year before?  No disrespect to the Mater Dei faithful - it's actually a compliment. 

The year is JUST STARTING Gentlemen...We are still waiting to see you wrestle your best! 

The Junior class is a blip.  I think only about 6 went out their freshman year 2 years ago.

I also don't think there are as many MD feeder league kids wrestling in the off-season trnys as there used to be.  At least I don't recognize a lot of names in the box scores in the paper or in the ISWA website results.  Back in the hey-day, you would see Macke, Weinzapfels, Nosko, Mauer, Coughlins, etc, etc. (plus a whole bunch of other not so well known names from the MD program) wrestling all most every weekend.

A few years ago, I started seeing a bunch of Reitzs' names in the box scores.  That wave has reached High School and their success reflects that participation.  Since I was unfamiliar with the names in the Castle program, I can't comment on their participation in the off-season trnys (I am definitely familiar with their names now).

Summer wrestling makes winter champions.

Re: Mater Dei

? Reply #41 on: Today at 03:16:21 PM ? Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: boiler10 on Today at 02:36:59 PM

135 Senior

145 Senior

160 Senior

171 Boots - Sophomore

189 - HVY Seniors

I agree.  MD had a very young team this year, and those young boys performed quite well throughout the season, so they'll be back next year with another year of Varsity competition under their belts.  Also, the JV team has some solid talent throughout, and as you mentioned, the 8th graders coming in next year show a lot of strength.  And, another thing that hasn't been mentioned, but begs to be said (I think), is that MD is graduating those, what I call "transition" kids.  What I mean by that is that some kids have trouble adjusting to different coaching styles.  The kids next year will have had Schaefer for their wrestling coach the whole time and I think that does make a difference. 

8th graders coming up:

189 - Wright ( he is a Boots) 4rd at MSST in 195

Hwt - Schapker (1st year wrester ) 7th at MSST in 195

140 - Schneider 2nd at MSST

150 - Schoettlin - 3rd at MTTS

Schroeder, Collins, Parkinson, and Staggs all had tough brackets, but thats what makes you better and stronger

and thats just the ones who could go! so as  Matchick said so the future looks good with a great group of up and comning kids and their great coackes that they had this year. you'll remember thier names -- Mackes and Martin

Bluebolt,

Cant agree more. This team has been working their buts off. I wrestled with all of these guys and they work so hard in the room. The intensity is up and they want to be the best. Thomason is a great guy and a best friend and i know what it can be like to get hurt and lose time. Seitz is a man for coming back from being hurt and winning like he is. Also another hard worker for the room. Taking 8 to state is absolutely amazing and it is a testament to the hard work

Castle came close to beating Mater Dei last year and we all knew it would be soon. And this year it happened because of everyone coming out to wrestle. No doubt Mater Dei has had some great kids wrestle and they start learning early with the youth programs and such. THis year Castle showed up and Mater Dei couldnt defend. About time but i am sure they will be back....

Who doesnt want the Evansville SS to be on the top of the podium on Saturday getting those blue Ribbons and a pretty picture to show mom and dad?

Bob Harmon Eat Crow?   I would pay to see that happen!   LOL   I have NEVER met a more competitive person in my life.   I will also add that the lessons I learned from him have served me VERY well in my life....So all the Haters can Get Bent and Deal With It.

I don't see Coach Harmon Sandbagging at all.   He put a VERY talented group of kids on the mat last year and they fell (literally) a couple of inches short of beating Mater Dei at their own tourney.   This year the team has been magical.   I won't mince words on this - and no disrespect intended - the 112 that didn't come out...He QUIT his brothers on the mat.   He isn't missed at all.   The world has gone on without him in the Blue and Gold singlet and look what they have accomplished.  Sorry if that is "rude" but it's honest.

As for Zach Thomason getting hurt...My heart goes out to that young man.   He stepped up at the end of last season and filled a gap when Philip was hurt.  He performed EXCELLENTLY!    This year he wrestled his tail off too and proved he is "Knight Tough!".   He has handled his injury with class and maturity he and his family should be proud of!  This young man will succeed in whatever he choses to do in life.

The fact that a returning STUD kid had trouble making the line up is testiment to the talent of this team.  What other teams in the state can make the statement they couldn't get a kid into the line up that had beaten Drew Lappe of Mater Dei the year before?   No disrespect to the Mater Dei faithful - it's actually a compliment.   

The year is JUST STARTING Gentlemen...We are still waiting to see you wrestle your best!   

The Junior class is a blip.  I think only about 6 went out their freshman year 2 years ago.

I also don't think there are as many MD feeder league kids wrestling in the off-season trnys as there used to be.  At least I don't recognize a lot of names in the box scores in the paper or in the ISWA website results.  Back in the hey-day, you would see Macke, Weinzapfels, Nosko, Mauer, Coughlins, etc, etc. (plus a whole bunch of other not so well known names from the MD program) wrestling all most every weekend.

A few years ago, I started seeing a bunch of Reitzs' names in the box scores.  That wave has reached High School and their success reflects that participation.  Since I was unfamiliar with the names in the Castle program, I can't comment on their participation in the off-season trnys (I am definitely familiar with their names now).

Summer wrestling makes winter champions.

I think the box score thing is more of a factor that no one is calling them in.  The Reitz folks do an excellent job of calling in the box scores, so they are always in there.  I have seen the Mater Dei groups at a lot of the local youth meets, so they are going to those.

8th graders coming up:

189 - Wright ( he is a Boots) 4rd at MSST in 195

Hwt - Schapker (1st year wrester ) 7th at MSST in 195

140 - Schneider 2nd at MSST

150 - Schoettlin - 3rd at MTTS

Schroeder, Collins, Parkinson, and Staggs all had tough brackets, but thats what makes you better and stronger

and thats just the ones who could go! so as  Matchick said so the future looks good with a great group of up and comning kids and their great coackes that they had this year. you'll remember thier names -- Mackes and Martin

____________________________________________________________________________________

Wow - nice size 8th graders......I'm sure Coach Goebel and the football faithfull are licking their chops!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.