Freshman Phenom

devildog47959

Quincy Richey (Brown County) looked very impressive today.  He was the 130lbs. champion at the Evansville Semi-State.

He is huge for a freshman.

His brother Michell looks realy good big also. Unbelievable he was a 112 lber last year :o :o

During freestyle and Greco last year he looked like he weighed about 160.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately Quiroz from Chesterton... A freshman 152 is something you dont see often. You can't say anything about his 11 losses either, this kid from what I understand was like Chestertons utilitie man, where they needed him, thats where he wrestled. Does anyone know how many Losses at 152 he really has? We all knew Tsirtsis, and brooks would be tough. Look at the background they come from. Berry from merrilville, everyone knows Coach Maldonado has his lineup ready to go.

Of all the good freshman at Merrillville, I was most impressed with Tsirtsis. He was coming off a defeat to Napules a week and a half ago, and just took it to him under the lights. He completely dominated that match, and Napules is an awesome wrestler in his own right. I think if Tsirtsis wrestles that good against Cashe, he has a good shot to pull off the upset.

Definately Quiroz from Chesterton... A freshman 152 is something you dont see often. You can't say anything about his 11 losses either, this kid from what I understand was like Chestertons utilitie man, where they needed him, thats where he wrestled. Does anyone know how many Losses at 152 he really has? We all knew Tsirtsis, and brooks would be tough. Look at the background they come from. Berry from merrilville, everyone knows Coach Maldonado has his lineup ready to go.

about 5 of his loses are probably mcmurray, and i know stein beat him

Was very impressed with freshman 171 pounder Kourtney Berry of Merriville.  Just as impressive was Berry's mom walking upstairs after the ticket round overtime match to congragulate Huey Hudson on his win and to wish him good luck in the rest of the tournament run.  Very classy family from a very classy program.

I would say Cathedral's 160 Tyler Willis, this kid is 14 wrestling against mainly Jr. and Sr.'s anda he is doing quite well I might add. He has knocked off some great competiton this year. It will be an exciting Friday night this week, let's see how he does at the State Finals. Good luck WIllis!!!!!!!!!

This kid fought off an inside cradle courtesy of a tough Greenfield Central kid like nobody I had seen before and never gave up near fall!  If he doesn't win a title or two before it's all said and done, I'll be surprised.  That was a gutsy performance for any kid, let alone a freshman.

All great postings regarding the Freshman Phenom's, however I would like to add a little more.  These young men work this sport like a job.  Most have been wrestling over 11 years and typically we see these freshman wrestlers noted in the postings more outside of Indiana than in the Indiana tournaments.  That just goes to show you their dedication, hard work and commitment.  So, how about we don't put these freshman against each other and sit back and watch their successes?

With that being said, a true "Good Luck" to each of you"

Kyle A.

Brendan C. (Please get better soon and we look forward to seeing you at Conseco next year.  I couldn't leave you off this list even though I know you can't compete this year.)

Anthony Q.

Kourtney B.

Tyler W.

Jarred B. (I know you will be at Conseco next year...and we look forward to it.)

Jason T.

Tanner L.

These boys have been representing the state wrestling for Team Indiana for years and are good friends.  This is a talent pool that will fuel Indiana Wrestling for years. 

These athletes represent so well and deserve everyone's respect.  Hats off gentlemen and slay the giants.  I think many fans who you may or may not know will be cheering for you.  Upper classmen are only older, not better so make your mark on them.

I gotta go with Kyle Ayersman being his coach and all.  Glad to have him aboard our team.  He'll get Lake Central back on the map for the next four yrs.  Also, he will help with our teams confidence and attitude.  He's a great kid.  Good Luck Kyle!

cant forget about two great freshman from wabash county hunter wells 135# he made it to fw sami- state and trever williams 119# from wabash h.s. sec champ made it to fw semi- state in one of the most talanted if not the most talanted weight class in the state. all  of wabash co. are proud of them

All great postings regarding the Freshman Phenom's, however I would like to add a little more.  These young men work this sport like a job.  Most have been wrestling over 11 years and typically we see these freshman wrestlers noted in the postings more outside of Indiana than in the Indiana tournaments.  That just goes to show you their dedication, hard work and commitment.  So, how about we don't put these freshman against each other and sit back and watch their successes?

With that being said, a true "Good Luck" to each of you"

Kyle A.

Brendan C. (Please get better soon and we look forward to seeing you at Conseco next year.  I couldn't leave you off this list even though I know you can't compete this year.)

Anthony Q.

Kourtney B.

Tyler W.

Jarred B. (I know you will be at Conseco next year...and we look forward to it.)

Jason T.

Tanner L.

These boys have been representing the state wrestling for Team Indiana for years and are good friends.  This is a talent pool that will fuel Indiana Wrestling for years. 

These athletes represent so well and deserve everyone's respect.  Hats off gentlemen and slay the giants.  I think many fans who you may or may not know will be cheering for you.  Upper classmen are only older, not better so make your mark on them.

Soda,

You can't leave Connor Mullins off this list. SQ Ranked #3 with a 49-3 record (all losses to SS champs, 2 to Kieffer whom he defeated 17-10 this year and the other  to Kenney 119), and won MS State championship every year he was eligible.  Also, won several titles as a member of Team Indiana and can never remember him throwing a single headgear.

kyle ayersman definitely has to be in the discussion. He beat Zac Stevens of Merrillville like 5 times and many other great wreslters. He is one of the best guys on his feet and he has a great top and bottom game. I think he might be a four time state champ.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.