Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which of the above states are classed?  I really don't know. 

What else might explain the differences and what can we do to bridge the gap?  Class wrestling might help (still not convinced), but there have to be other ways Indiana can improve.

Bold Classless states

California- Worse

Texas- Better than

New York- Worse

Florida- Even

Illinois- Worse

Pennsylvania- Worse

Ohio- Worse

Michigan- Worse

Georgia- Better than

North Carolina- Better than

New Jersey- Worse

Virginia- Even with

States we are within 1 million people of and how we stack up

Washington- Even

Arizona- Better

Massachusetts- Better

Tennessee- Better

Missouri- Worse

Maryland- Better

Wisconsin- Worse

Minnesota- Worse

Other states that are better than us that have less population

Oregon

Oklahoma

Iowa

Kansas

If we assume that states with bigger populations are more likely to have more athletes that will be national caliber wrestlers, we are doing better than expected against 5 states with significantly larger populations (Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia), we are doing as good or better than expected against 5 states with similar populations (Washington, Arizona, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Maryland), and worse than expected against 7 similar sized or smaller states (Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Iowa, Kansas).

Only one of the states is classed (Texas), so we are doing as good or better than expected versus 9 classed states and worse versus only 7 classed states.  Something other than classes might explain the difference.  If there are ways to accomplish the goal of making Indiana a stronger wrestling state that are less controversial than classing the individual tournament, why don't we try to identify them?

So I just figured Id look at IUs wrestling roster to see if you have to place at state to wrestle at college, even Big Ten.

Christopher Tanner-  2nd at Sectionals

Wesley Fike-  Semi State Qualifier

Seth Parker- State Qualifier

For Purdue

George Petrov- Semi State Qualifier

Im sure there are more cases like this, but looks like you can still make it to college

Only one of the states is classed (Texas), so we are doing as good or better than expected versus 9 classed states and worse versus only 7 classed states.  Something other than classes might explain the difference.  If there are ways to accomplish the goal of making Indiana a stronger wrestling state that are less controversial than classing the individual tournament, why don't we try to identify them?

I'm all ears

ross-perot-big-ears.jpg

Texas just started sanctioning wrestling about 10 years ago.  I really don't want to compare us to Texas in terms of wrestling history.  They also have no collegiate wrestling teams, only NWCA teams.  The only state that is close to us that you spouted off is Tennessee.  All the other states are what most would call southern states.  The Midwestern states(where the wrestling hotbed is in the US) we are pretty much dead last.  I'm more concerned with getting our wrestling closer to the level of Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and Wisconsin than states like Florida, North Carolina, Texas and Arizona.

Those are all DIII(small school) guys.  I know they are the best by there performances in offseason tournaments and tournaments like the Ironman where the best of the best meet.  

Other guys I know are the best, David Taylor, Collin Palmer, etc.  Do you think the other 171lbs champions are ashamed of their medals because Chris Phillips would probably beat them?

They are probably just as proud as whoever will get 3rd at 171 at state this year.

So is their school and community not going to celebrate their state championships?  Is the principal going to say to them... we aren't going to put a picture of you in the hallway because you aren't the "true" state champion, we know Phillips would mop the mat with you?  Do you think the newspaper article will say "Joe Schmoe Non-True State Champion?"  Do you think he will get a ring that says "untrue State Champion" on it?

At least in my school, you will get your picture up for the hall of fame if you get 3rd because it is quite the accomplishment

So I just figured Id look at IUs wrestling roster to see if you have to place at state to wrestle at college, even Big Ten.

For Purdue

Im sure there are more cases like this, but looks like you can still make it to college

How many are starters on their teams?

For Purdue

anyone can walk on....now base your research on who aquires scholarships...and myabe ill listen

For Purdue

Who?  Who? Who? and Who?

Are any of these guys getting any mat time?  Are any getting any $$$?  Would a system that exposes them to a greater range of wrestling possibilities post high school have benefited them by giving them more choices?  Probably.

I'm all ears

ross-perot-big-ears.jpg

The burden of proof is on those trying to change the status quo.  The information above doesn't neccessarily support the position that classing the individual tournament will make Indiana a stronger wrestling state.  

I don't follow the national scene that closely.  Is there anything that the 7 states that we are doing worse than expected against are doing besides having a classed system that could explain the difference?  Why are we doing better than some states that are bigger or similar size as us even though they have classes?

Those are all DIII(small school) guys.  I know they are the best by there performances in offseason tournaments and tournaments like the Ironman where the best of the best meet.  

Other guys I know are the best, David Taylor, Collin Palmer, etc.  Do you think the other 171lbs champions are ashamed of their medals because Chris Phillips would probably beat them?

They are probably just as proud as whoever will get 3rd at 171 at state this year.

So is their school and community not going to celebrate their state championships?  Is the principal going to say to them... we aren't going to put a picture of you in the hallway because you aren't the "true" state champion, we know Phillips would mop the mat with you?  Do you think the newspaper article will say "Joe Schmoe Non-True State Champion?"  Do you think he will get a ring that says "untrue State Champion" on it?

At least in my school, you will get your picture up for the hall of fame if you get 3rd because it is quite the accomplishment

so teams that won class sectional titles or placed in the state in classed sports probably don't get recognized?

Texas just started sanctioning wrestling about 10 years ago.  I really don't want to compare us to Texas in terms of wrestling history.  They also have no collegiate wrestling teams, only NWCA teams.  The only state that is close to us that you spouted off is Tennessee.  All the other states are what most would call southern states.  The Midwestern states(where the wrestling hotbed is in the US) we are pretty much dead last.  I'm more concerned with getting our wrestling closer to the level of Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and Wisconsin than states like Florida, North Carolina, Texas and Arizona.

The problem with Indiana is it's a state rich in basketball history and culture, stuck in the middle of the "wrestling hotbed of the U.S."

The burden of proof is on those trying to change the status quo.  The information above doesn't neccessarily support the position that classing the individual tournament will make Indiana a stronger wrestling state.  

I don't follow the national scene that closely.  Is there anything that the 7 states that we are doing worse than expected against are doing besides having a classed system that could explain the difference?  Why are we doing better than some states that are bigger or similar size as us even though they have classes?

The states we are better than are from non-traditional areas for wrestling... which is mainly the south and the eastern seaboard except New York.  We are in the heart of the wrestling hotbed, smack dab in the middle of Illinois and Ohio(two top 5 states).  That is the biggest difference.  

The status quo nationwide is to have classes.  Reasons probably have nothing to do with the quality of wrestling but more about creating an equitable playing field (ala Div 1, Div 2 and Div 3 in the NCAA) and of course $$$.

Besides, Indiana already classes other sports.  Be consistant.

The problem with Indiana is it's a state rich in basketball history and culture, stuck in the middle of the "wrestling hotbed of the U.S."

So lets give the kids in wrestling more recognition and therefore get more exposure for the sport.  The more exposure the more fans and wrestlers we will have.  If football and basketball had the same amount of exposure we did, they wouldn't be the kings.

Besides, Indiana already classes other sports.  Be consistant.

Some, not all.  What's good for the geese isn't necessarily good for the gander.

I obviously feel that what is good for the geese is good for the gander.

It depends...has the goose faced any recognized good competition?  The gander wrestled in the Al Smith.

ok what would you rather have?

Complete Class wrestling with no wrestle backs at state and I'm sure the IHSAA would take away team state

Team Class wrestling individual is still in the same format

or Complete wrestle backs so every individual will reach go the fatherest they can and not have to pray for a "good draw"

I'm sorry be the IHSAA won't give into wrestling so I'd vote complete wrestle backs.

ok what would you rather have?

Complete Class wrestling with no wrestle backs at state and I'm sure the IHSAA would take away team state

Team Class wrestling individual is still in the same format

or Complete wrestle backs so every individual will reach go the fatherest they can and not have to pray for a "good draw"

I'm sorry be the IHSAA won't give into wrestling so I'd vote complete wrestle backs.

I am of the mind that the IHSAA would at least listen to a well constructed and well supported class plan that was supported by school principals. 

Poor Horse!  Lets take Mishawaka and divide it into 4 teams. 2 or 3 first stringers in each school. Lets say 103,145, and 215 in school A, 112,125, 285 in school  B, 119, 130, 171 in school C, 135, 189, 152 in school D. 140 and 160 choose basketball in Indiana and at a smaller school, you know. We now need 4 rooms, 4 head coaches, 4 assistants. None of these teams get invited to the Al Smith because last year they had the dreaded forfeits.  Remember with the IHSAA the coaches can not work with each other, the wrestlers can not work with each other until spring. With the smaller schools more of the wrestlers are multiple sport atheletes in order to help the schools in conference races, so much of the ISWA stuff is out. I would gladly schedule them with my 15-20 wrestlers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.