interesting on flo wrestling

dpetty

you cant compare wrestling with football, basketball,  baseball, and those other "classed" sports, becuz wrestling is an INDIVIUAL sport.

if you want classes, make it for teams only

as an individual, i say "no way Jose".

of course, i understand that with more classes you get more champs, which makes more kids and their families proud.

but hey, this sport is about being the best at your weight.  if you got 3 other guys who won state at your weight, are you really the best?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant compare wrestling with football, basketball,  baseball, and those other "classed" sports, becuz wrestling is an INDIVIUAL sport.

So since it's an individual sport, does that mean we should drop dual meets? Then when it comes to Invitationals, we change them to open tournaments that way an individual chooses where they go and teams aren't invited.

I'll be honest, I haven't read through all of the threads about this topic because a lot of people refuse to see the other side of the coin. I see pro's and con's to both sides but when the dust clears, I have to side with class wrestling for the team competition and don't touch the individual tournament. It makes absolutely no difference at Conseco if you wrestle for a school with 500 kids or 5,000. What makes the sport of wrestling so great is the fact that you're one on one with an opponent who weighs the same as you. If you lose, you have no one to blame but yourself. The rhetoric I've read about making the individual tournament a class system all has one thing in common...excuses. From "practice partners" to "more kids will be labeled a state champion"...it's all just excuses and anyone who has wrestled knows, this is not a sport of excuses. I have not read one plausible reason why the individual tournament should go to a class system. My ears are open so please enlighten me.

As for the following weekend at Center Grove, I am in favor of going to a class system. The school enrollment issue is a very reasonable logic to follow and I hope the IHSAA will see that one day.

As for the following weekend at Center Grove, I am in favor of going to a class system. The school enrollment issue is a very reasonable logic to follow and I hope the IHSAA will see that one day.

Wouldn't school enrollment be an excuse too?

No, it's not an excuse. It's a logical argument to propose that a school with 500 kids is at a disadvantage compared to a school with 5,000.

Individually, I have not heard a logical argument. Enrollment does not apply, in my opinion.

Again...Karl and the rest of this community can enlighten me.

just over the wall on the left is the Swimming pool, Millions of dollars went into that!

Hey we're gonna get our State Champs! real soon! with in the next few years!!!!! we'll have a few....maybe a few a year, who knows!

Be careful, it was your AD who took our original wrestling room.....and gave us what we have....of course he was looking down the road, and knew he'd be back at Garrett, so he thought he'd make it hard for us! lol....that didn't work out to well, SA and Garrett will continue to battle it out for the next 10+ years in the ACAC, before too long, all the other teams are gonna get sick of us!

Basketball School! lol....thats funny, but true!  I don't get it we have been 83-21 in the last four years, 2 ACAC championships, 3 SA Invite Championships, 2 ECIC Championships....7 semi-state qualifiers (1/2 our team) this year....and the basketball team hasn't been over .500 in the last four years!  Our BB Program hasn't done any good since they went to Class Basketball! go figure!  

Y2.....just so ya know, I get along great with your AD....he always did what he could for our kids....plus my girls are big Cross runners, so...ya' see the connection.  Hope you didnt take that last post wrong

So if size is what is going to make a wrestling power house how is it that there are not more 5a school power houses in wrestling? There are plenty of 5 a schools that are not represented that well at State.

Crown Point                         2289    #14     5A

Perry Meridian                   2132    #23    5A

Castle                                     1786    #43    5A

Mishawaka                           1692    #47   5A

Indianapolis Cathedral     1286     #83    4A

Roncalli                                  1111    #104   4A

Bellmont                                894     #127   3A Biggest 3A school

Delphi Community            522      #224   2A

Do I need to say any more?

I know people get sick of me saying this, but I brought this up on the 103 lb post a month or so ago, I do not know much on Delphi, my guess it is like the others, but the rest all have great youth programs.

Just my opinion!

Are more practice partners and more quality practice partners good for kids?

Are more paid coaches better for kids?

Are better facilities better for kids?

Is less pressure to be a 2 or 3 sport athlete better for a wrestler?

All of the above still don't explain why the individual tournament needs to be changed to the class system. A class system for the team tournament would help all of the above. Still waiting for a logical reason to change the individual tournament...

Here is the solution once and for all...

There will be 7 High Schools in Indiana from this point on.

They will be:

Gary High School

South Bend High School

Terre Haute High School

Muncie High School

Indianapolis High School

Evansville High School

and

New Albany High School

ALL students will attend the school closest to them.   NO OPTIONS.

Now the arguement about there being TOO Many kids in each school and my kid doesn't have a chance to compete can start.

Of course this is rediculous...

They will be:

Gary High School

South Bend High School

Terre Haute High School

Muncie High School

Indianapolis High School

Evansville High School

and

New Albany High School

Now the arguement about there being TOO Many kids in each school and my kid doesn't have a chance to compete can start.

You better put one in Ft Wayne that way we dont have an odd number at team state.

They will be:

Gary High School

South Bend High School

Terre Haute High School

Muncie High School

Indianapolis High School

Evansville High School

and

New Albany High School

You better put one in Ft Wayne that way we dont have an odd number at team state.

I thought about doing that...But that would eliminate all the controversy and besides...7 is my lucky number and I am making the rules  ;-)

Are more practice partners and more quality practice partners good for kids?

Are more paid coaches better for kids?

Are better facilities better for kids?

Is less pressure to be a 2 or 3 sport athlete better for a wrestler?

All of the above still don't explain why the individual tournament needs to be changed to the class system. A class system for the team tournament would help all of the above. Still waiting for a logical reason to change the individual tournament...

If you don't think those advantages help individuals then I don't know what to tell you.  I know I got better in college because of the higher quality practice partners and better and more coaches.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.