• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait whats NC?

and i thought East Chicago Central was the biggest

NC = New Castle

East Chicago is 3rd largest high school gym in Indiana

As of 2/24/2004 in the USA today, these were the largest high school gyms in the USA

Indiana New Castle (Chrysler) 9,325

Indiana Anderson 8,996

Indiana East Chicago 8,296

Indiana Seymour 8,110

Indiana Richmond 7,929

Texas Dallas (Alfred J. Loos) 7,500

Indiana Elkhart 7,373

Indiana Michigan City 7,304

Indiana Gary (West Side) 7,217

Indiana Marion 7,054

Hmm, I dont see Merriville on here, but I do see a few other high schools in the area that might have a little more room for all you grumpy Mville fans. Any reason why these schools dont step up?

The attendencs at last years semi-states were as follows

Evansville ? 8,562

Merrillville ? 5,990

New Castle ? 7,171

Fort Wayne ? 8,111

That all makes sense if the maximum capacity of Merrillville's gym is about 2,000!  Plus it doesn't help that half the lower level is closed until the finals! DOH!

wait whats NC?

and i thought East Chicago Central was the biggest

NC = New Castle

East Chicago is 3rd largest high school gym in Indiana

As of 2/24/2004 in the USA today, these were the largest high school gyms in the USA

Indiana New Castle (Chrysler) 9,325

Indiana Anderson 8,996

Indiana East Chicago 8,296

Indiana Seymour 8,110

Indiana Richmond 7,929

Texas Dallas (Alfred J. Loos) 7,500

Indiana Elkhart 7,373

Indiana Michigan City 7,304

Indiana Gary (West Side) 7,217

Indiana Marion 7,054

Hmm, I dont see Merriville on here, but I do see a few other high schools in the area that might have a little more room for all you grumpy Mville fans. Any reason why these schools dont step up?

Why such the large gyms? Are we trying to compensate for something? (basketball) ;D

is the New Castle coliseum part of the actual school or is it something else?

It is part of the school. Andersons Wigwam was part of that school as well until they closed a school on the south side of Anderson a quite a few years ago, and moved AHS to the old madison hights location. Now the wigwam is a stand alone facility with a few offices there as well as a pool in the complex.

It is part of the school. Andersons Wigwam was part of that school as well until they closed a school on the south side of Anderson a quite a few years ago, and moved AHS to the old madison hights location. Now the wigwam is a stand alone facility with a few offices there as well as a pool in the complex.

so you mean when New Castle has a basketball game, its in that stadium?

Wow....hope they get alot of fans!

so you mean when New Castle has a basketball game, its in that stadium?

Wow....hope they get alot of fans!

Not sure if they sell it out any longer, but I have been in that facility when it was full, as well as the wigwam in Anderson when it was full. These were way back in the day, before class BB, when the NCC was consistently producing state teams as well as state champs quite a few years in the 70's and 80's

It is not a coliseum but rather a FIELDHOUSE. No it does not sellout anymore, it probably has been over a decade since it was last sold out. I believe in in 2006 when New Castle, returning 3A state champ, faced Muncie Central, returining 4A runner-up and Archrival, there was like 6,800 but I haven't seen much more for just a basketball game  >:( , I hope this saturday we have a good showing for these wrestlers  ;D, should be a lot of fun :)

It is not a coliseum but rather a FIELDHOUSE. No it does not sellout anymore, it probably has been over a decade since it was last sold out. I believe in in 2006 when New Castle, returning 3A state champ, faced Muncie Central, returining 4A runner-up and Archrival, there was like 6,800 but I haven't seen much more for just a basketball game  >:( , I hope this saturday we have a good showing for these wrestlers  ;D, should be a lot of fun :)

2007 - New Castle vs. Muncie Central

IMG_0047.jpg

i think also a reason why the semistate venue has been at M'Ville for forever is becuz i heard their AD is on the IHSAA board.

So yeah, it would be tough to change the venue if someone is always wanting it to be there

And why should they change? They make great money off it.  But someones gonna have to do a little convincing after this year, since there are extra wrestlers now. 

I only see the fans point of view being represented for these venues. With reguards to these venues we need to keep in mind if there is enough room next to the mat that good wrestling wont end up in the bleachers or falling over mats that are overlapping.

i believe a lot more people would attend M'Ville SS if there were a larger venue. Michigan City or East Chicago would work in my opinion. but who knows how long it will take for the state commission to change the location...

I was from the south end of the region drawing into that semistate and it was already an extremely long drive, East Chicago or Michigan City would make it even worse for people not already for the Region. Just my opinion though.

I only here bad things about the M'Ville SS. I always here it's a pack house. I want to see a picture of the gym... I fell sorry for M'Ville SS fans. At Fort Wayne it might not be sold out (13,000), but it gives you an advantage to move around to get a closer view of the match you want to see. The Only Bad thing for the Woodland SS is the Concession stand. Crazy Prices!!!!

Merrillville SS does need a new location. I know many more people would attend if it were at a larger venue. I as myself will be attending just for the finals because of the tight cramped seating.  There are other places in the Region that can host the event with more seating besides East Chicago, and Michigan City. They could host it at the Hammond Civic Center, The Genesis Convention Center in Gary, or as someone else mentioned Valparaiso University.  What do we fans have to do to get rid of Merrillville and move it to one of these other locations?  The IHSAA would make more money if they did move it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.