Poorly Run Sectionals, What can be done.........

SlickRodz

I didn't know that if you held a regional you couldn't hold a sectional.  I apologize ;D

Seems that Mooresville hosts both the individual sectional and regional.  Is there any other school that hosts both?

I would like to chime in here, about 4 years ago on the other discus board a person I think was southfan? really let the Northview coach know in a way I thought was maybe to direct, mostly about the vision problems, you cannot see the mat, mats on your side of the gym. You have to go from one side to the other to see your match.Coach Miksel sp. was very responsive if I remember to southfan. But this venue is a shame to the kids ,the fans and most of all to Indiana wrestling in general.And its still going on. Kind of tells me the old saying"quit beating the dead horse"  Every one wants to improve the sport but the status quo prevails.

Can't be held at Bloomington South as we have the Regional.  Bloomington North has a great gym and used to host the sectional. I take it anywhere other than Northview!

Bloomington South could always drop regionals and take the sectionals if they want to get it out of Northview that bad.  Then another school that is capable of also running it well could take on the regional duties.  That sounds like a workable solution.  I would guess Columbus North, Columubus East, or Seymour from the other sectional are all located central enough and have enough room to run a regional if Bloomington South got ride of it and took the sectional duties.

We are part of the Northview Sectional.

>:(The gym is terrible, spectators can only see the far mat as the close mat(s) is/are obscured by the floor and rail.

>:(The gym is so small they claim only 3 mats will fit....I'm no math-major, rectangular gym if 3 fit so will four!

>:(They charge $5 for admittance...I can live with that but, they charge, trainers, managers, JV wrestlers and newspaper photographers! (and would not let the photographer on the floor).

>:(No handicap access, told a grandfather, "you don;t have to stay, theres the door"!

Most schools try to improve wrestling in Indiana. The staff and in particular the AD at Northview would just assume wrestling not be a sport, and will tell you as much. Yet they host the Sectional.....what does it take to move it?

If they request a pass before the tournament each newspaper can send two people for free. This is from the IHSAA winter bulletin:

"VII MEDIA

A. Radio-Television Coverage ? All requests shall be made to Associated Sports Productions, Inc., 30 S. Pennsylvania Street, Suite 190,

Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Phone: 317-633-1462; Fax: 317-633-1461). Stations from cities or areas of the participating schools shall be given first

consideration with others being considered in order of requests, according to accommodations. Limit: 2 passes per station.

B. Newspapers

1. For Sectionals, Regionals, Semi-States ? Advanced written requests must be filed with the center principal allowing a maximum of 2

passes per newspaper.

2. For State ? Advanced requests must be filed with the IHSAA.

C. Photographers

1. General

Photographers MAY use electronic flash/strobe cameras during the progress of a sporting event as long as, in the opinion of the contest

officials, the flash does not hinder the actions of or endanger the contestants. The final decision as it relates to photography rests with the

judgment of the contest official. School administrators have the authority to designate certain areas from which photographers may operate

during a contest.

a. Each school competing in an IHSAA tournament may obtain 1 student photographer pass for the contest in which their school is

participating for the school?s yearbook and/or newspaper staff. Each individual or school shall be responsible for providing an admission

ticket.

b. The photographer should be dressed appropriately and ?neutrally? (not in blatant school colors, hats, etc.) where he/she is working.

c. The photographer shall not display conspicuous partisan support during the contest.

d. The photographer shall avoid contact with participants and coaches and inappropriate involvement with the crowd during the contest.

e. The photographer shall not interfere with the action of the match.

f. Advanced requests for photographer credentials must be filed with the center principal for sectionals, regionals or semi-states and with

the IHSAA for the state finals no later than 5 days prior to the day of the tournament.

g. Failure to follow these guidelines will cause the school to lose its photographers privileges for that tournament.

3. All Other Photographers

a. For Sectionals, Regionals and Semi-States, advanced written requests must be filed with the center principal.

b. The number of photographers and their locations shall be determined by the center principal.

c. For the State Finals ? Advanced requests must be made with the IHSAA."

I have to agree that Mooresville does a great job. I am not  fan of that kind of gym ( I like the old bowls that they do not build aymore) but besides that everything flows very smoothly. They have good table help and they let you set your chairs around.

Why are we even charged to get into events anyway?  God knows that here in Hendricks County our property tax is more than enough to cover the expense.

Brownsburg, Avon and Mooresville all run great tournaments. Avon could have used some floor scoreboards for sectionals.

I somehow knew that this thread was about Northview. It's true, it's not a good venue for a large meet such as a sectional, but I have seen other tounaments that were run even worse. I think that back years ago, 80's, that Bloomington North and Bloomington South traded Sectional and regional each year. I don't remember for sure but any of the bigger schools in this sectional would be better than Northview.

Warren Central did a great job hosting sectional this weekend also, but I think the best place that hosts a tournament I have been to yet is Perry Meridian.  They run the tournament smoothly, little or no problems if any with the scorers at the table.  Also plenty of room for people to stand on the side rails out of everyones way and watch the wrestling matches.  So congrats to both and I look forward to Perry Regional this weekend.

I'm not so sure TripleB would want to be on the "volunteer list" as he has to coach eight kids on saturday.  I, on the other hand would like to avoid that entrance fee.  Where do I sign?

I get your gest....but why should a person who volunteers to give up a Saturday (all of it) have to pay to help with the post season. It is also way more than money. The Northview AD is a jerk, rude angry man. He hates wrestling! Does not want the head ache.....So give it up...3 other schools in our Sectional will take it!

Very true! Gym really is terrible! View is awfull! I think South Vermillion has a much nicer facillity! Ours at Sullivan is capable of holding same # of mats, and has a much better view of them! That will never happen though! LOL!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.