IHSAA weight class changes ?

Inthecave

Well i must say this... i would not like it if 103 was eliminated... but if it is, I do hope that they will have a weight class where the really tiny kids can compete.... maybe a 108 and then bump up the 112 to about 114

I would have to say that the weight classes are all fine but if any of them are going to get looked at for removall, i vote Heavyweight, least amount of action and technicallity in my mind. For 99% of these heavyweights once they go to their back they are done.  There is a round side and a flat side  ;D

I began my high school career in 1979 at 5' tall and weighing in at a whopping 92lbs. If they didn't have a 98 pound weight class, then I don't know that I would have the passion for the sport that I do, and now you're wanting to  drop the already raised to 103lbs. all together. I feel that you're taking a sport made for all sizes and trying to make it football.  Please look out for the little guy!

If they add a weight class around 200-240 lbs I will puke.  There is so much less quality wrestling around those weights.

I think that the addition of this class would be interesting...so many kids in the weight range weighing 235 or 240 have so much trouble with a 285 stud and this will give them a better competition class and i think it will increase some more of the kids coming out to wrestle. so many come from football and dont want to lose the 20 lbs for 215 and dont want to get hurt at 285. I think there is a happy median to be reached for these guys. After all it is all about the kids, not what is considering "quality" wrestling. Anyone that has wrestled HWT or 215 can tell u there is more going on than they are given credit for.

If they add a weight class around 200-240 lbs I will puke.  There is so much less quality wrestling around those weights.

I think that the addition of this class would be interesting...so many kids in the weight range weighing 235 or 240 have so much trouble with a 285 stud and this will give them a better competition class and i think it will increase some more of the kids coming out to wrestle. so many come from football and dont want to lose the 20 lbs for 215 and dont want to get hurt at 285. I think there is a happy median to be reached for these guys. After all it is all about the kids, not what is considering "quality" wrestling. Anyone that has wrestled HWT or 215 can tell u there is more going on than they are given credit for.

Very true! Try stepping on the mat with a guy 70 lbs heavier than you and see how much "Quality" time you have during that 6 minutes! LOL!

Very true! Try stepping on the mat with a guy 70 lbs heavier than you and see how much "Quality" time you have during that 6 minutes! LOL!

Ask Daniel Meyer from Bellmont.  He just won his conference tourny at hwt and only weighs 195!

Ask Daniel Meyer from Bellmont.  He just won his conference tourny at hwt and only weighs 195!

That was probably because he's athletic and knew how to do actual wrestling moves. That's more than most heavyweights are able to do.

Down at New Pal this weekend the smallest weight class was heavyweight. 103-125 had quite a few people, and some good skill too. Weights shift around, if they want to eliminate a class they should look to a 5 or 10 year composite, not 1 single year.

if y2 has his say... 103 will be eliminated  ;D

y should 103 be eliminated?

personnally I don't think 103 should be, atleast at my brothers high school, they had 2 103 pounders and had a potential 103 pounder before deciding to stay at 112, it would be the coaches whos team doesn't have a 103 pounder's fault for not taking the time to look around the school for small kids, have your wrestlers try to find kids to fill in the weight class, and you might find that its easier to fill then it seems

I was at a tournament Friday night and overheard discussion of IHSAA changing some weight classes for 2010 , is there any truth to that ?

Funny, I don't see anything in this post about 103.  Yet all the subsequent posters are freaking out about 103 being eliminated or dropped.

At the SIAC, there were more 103's than 285's.

Adding a 240 lb weight class does not make much sense.   Just bump 103 up a few pounds.

It certainly would to a 216lb lb on the mat with a 285lb one! Try it a few times bud and see what its like!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.