Regular Season MVP & Tournament Run MVP

wrestlinggods

Here is a thought for Y2 and the rest of his staff.

What about doing a regular season MVP and a tournament run MVP like the NFL does a regular season MVP which Peyton Manning won and then they give out a Super Bowl MVP which could be our Tournament Run MVP.

I know the Pound for pound could be a great resource for the Regular Season MVP but there could be others like

1. you must be undefeated at regular season end

2. quality of opponents wrestled

3. strength of schedule

4. domination of wins (pins, techs, maj. dec)

And then for the tournament run MVP it is open for all of the wrestlers

1. how deep you went into the tournament series (placement, runner-up, or champ)

2. quality wins over opponents

3. how tough the route the wrestler had to go through to get to state

4. domination of wins (pins, techs, maj.dec)

I think it would be fun for everyone and the dark horses or bracket busters could have a shot at the tournament run MVP.

What do you all think?

Pretty good idea. Cashe would get my vote as well for season MVP...Only part I'd change is instead of tournament run MVP just make it Conseco MVP because the NFL doesn't give an MVP for the wildcard, divsion, and conference games but just the Super Bowl which is what is equivalent to the state finals

How about the same idea with one from each of the rest of the semi-state getting honerable mention for regular season and tourny too.  That way we can throw some respect around to each area of the state.  It would also show the hard work of certain individuals in a few weight classes instead of just one guy at one weight.  Same concept as wrestler of the week but recognize the best of the entire season.  Maybe one MVP and the other three are honerable mentions.

If you wanted to get thorough you could do an overall MVP picked from a grade MVP. So there would be a Freshman MVP, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior as well as the best of the 4. That might get overly complicated, but would be an honor to those younger guys with a lot of skill. Perhaps rather than a tournament MVP, just an underdog award to the kid who breaks out and surprises everyone down at state.

wrestlinggods, did you see this as an IndianaMat crew voting, Pro Bowl style voting, or coaches poll?

There are a lot of ways that you could do this, you could do a weight class award, a semi-state award as regional(area not tourney) MVP's and then an all state MVP award. I mean once you start talking about this the possibilites become mind numbing. As far as what you end up doing, if anything will be greatly appreciated, and soundly discussed for a long time after the awards are given.

So are ya thinking just a mention only along with a cover story on the home page, or are ya thinking about something like a plaque. Y2, this can be something really sharp. Good luck, now that this has gotten traction, you might have to delete the thread to make it go away.....

What about taking something from college wrestling.  The Hodge Trophy.  We could take one of our past greats and name it after him.  The Ellis Trophy.  You could use similar guidelines used in college, given to a champ who had the most dominant season, pins, techs, majors or won the toughest weight class.  You could also name it after your website The Indianamat trophy.  I think this is something else that will help promote our sport. 

Coach Douglas

The Ellis Trophy would be a great respect to an excellent wrestler. It would be one of those things you would have to clear with the family. If my opinion counted for anything I would give that 2 thumbs up. I like incorporating percent pins and tech falls into it. There was a 215 in the finals 5 or more years ago who hadn't had any offensive points scored on him, the guys like that deserve the recognition.

I am guessing the "Bobby Cox" trophy is out of the question......but if we did, it could be in the shape of a donkey, or the south end of a north bound horse.

Actually if ya want to honor someone pick a person from the past that has demonstrated a love of this sport like few other. I would suggets asking TAE for some input as he seems to be a great source of wrestling facts and history.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.