Most stacked weight class at semi-state

Coach Clev

I know that it has been discussed on what is the premier semi-state in Indiana wrestling. I go back and forth on this topic. Some semi-states are stronger than others, but I do not think that one is clearly more dominate than the other. I was looking at the rankings last night, and I realized the 189lb weight class at New Castle. You want to talk about a tough road look at these guys.

#2 Nick Hodges  Southmont

#5 Andy Dalton  East Central

# 8 Michael Johnson-Jones  Warren Central

#11 Chaz Brock  Crawfordsville

#12 Patrick Lux  Fishers

#14 Daniel Sandberg  Lawrence Central

#16 Zach Garrity  Hamilton Heights

Depending on the draw at state, I am pretty sure that all four of the qualifiers out of this semi-state will be on the podium. I challenge someone to find a tougher weight class at any semi-state. Good luck!!  ;D ;D

After thinking about it for a minute, I have come to this conclusion. I would say that New Castle and Merrillville semi-states are the same. If you match up the two champs from each semi-state in last years results in a dual meet this would be the result:

Brandon Nelson vs. Anthony Hawkins    Nelson dec 3-0

Brandon Wright vs.Justin Brooks    Wright dec 6-0

Chase' Quiroga vs. Donovan Alderman    Cash dec 9-0

Brian Vest vs. Josh Harper    Harper dec 9-3

Will Mascaro vs. Tommy Churchard    Churchard dec 9-6

Calvin Sullivan vs. Eric Galka    Galka dec 9-9

Chris Mascaro vs. Steven Sandefer    Sandefer dec 9-12

Gavin McGinley vs. Brennan Cosgrove    Cosgrove dec 9-15

Kyle Ulrey vs.  Kyle Long    Ulrey maj dec 13-15

Mike Duckworth vs. Andrew Howe    Howe maj dec 13-19

Jacob Blackwell vs. Brandon James    Blackwell dec 16-19

Nick Hodges vs. Jake Salas    Hodges dec 19-19

Zach Hahn vs. George Malone    Malone dec 19-22 

Chico Adams vs. Randy Morin    Chico dec 22-22

The match would have to go to criteria (probably first points scored). Even if you look a bit deeper, New Castle had 29 place winners and Merrillville had 35. A fairly close number could be closer depending on the draws Friday night. You go a little deeper, New Castle had 4 state champs and Merrillville had 5. Finally as deep as you can go New Castle had 12 finishers in the top 3 while Merrillville 14. These numbers are very close. That is why I have come to the conclusion that both semi-states are pretty much the same. I know that there are some changes in what has happened, for example Hawkins has a win this year over Nelson. However, I have Nelson winning in the dual meet score. The reason for this is that is what happened at state last year. In most cases the two wrestlers actually had a match at state last year and I used that for the dual results. I also used the state meet because that is when young men wrestle at the highest level. I would like to hear what you have to say.?     

125 at Merrillville Semi State looks pretty tough..

#2 Tsirtsis (CP)

#3 Napules (Mville)

#4 Thornton (Chesterton)

#8 Penn (Lafayette Harrison)

#12 Brady (Lowell)

#15 Acuna (Portage)

The first 3 mentioned all have a good shot to place top 4 at conseco with Ezra Penn possibly getting himself a medal too. There's a possibility here for some interesting ticket round match-ups.

Maybe 103 at New Castle

#1 Campbell NC

#2 Phillips UC

#5 McKinley

#8 Price Tech

#10 Harvey CA

#12 Todd PH

Not a bad weight classl

This weight is also very tough. There is two reasons why I noticed 189 more so than the 103 class. 1) I have seen all of the 189's I listed wrestle and they all looked very tough.  Along the same note I have only seen 3 of the 103's wrestle. 2) I have a 189 pounder and I tend to notice what he has to wrestle more.

I can think of 2 instances right off of the top of my head where 3 guys from the Merrillville Semi-State made the semi-finals.  In 2000 at 125 Alex Ramos from Hobart was the champ, Robert Maldonado from East Chicago Central was the runner-up, and Jeff Nyikos from Penn was 4th... and if it weren't for a close loss in the quarters, Rene Hernandez from Hammond Bishop Noll would have been in the semi's as well.  In 2006 also at 125, Eric McGill from Munster was the champ, Adam Walters from Portage was the runner-up, and Jeremy Burnside from South Bend Clay was 4th.

I would like to try this one 

189 Evansville semi state

#6 Andrew Leach        Avon

#7 Ethan cook              Providence

#9 Aaron Stevenson    Indian creek

#10 Todd Hacker        Mooresville

Previously Ranked

Tyler Tatgenorst          Jeffersonville

Patrick Price              North Posey

Tanner McGowan      Lincoln Vincennes

Honorable Mention   

Darren Eads              Bloomington south 

NC 112 is gonna be a tough one also

#2 Nelsen

#3 Mullins

#5 Kieffer

#10 Stewart

#12 Royteck

add in Gadient from Noblesville

if I'm not mistaken, Crawfordsville's wrestler's only loss was to Mullins at Bronco duals

Royteck and Mullins will meet this weekend at Cathedral

2002 275lb

Brent Surface Michigan City 2nd

Mike Pinter Penn 3rd

Jon Sandberg North White 4th

2003 275lb

Brent Surface Michigan City 1st

Matt Overman Mishawaka 3rd

John Sandberg North White 4th

Merrillville dominated the 275lb class for two years. Not to mention Kasten and Larimore in the following years.

Merrillville 103 is pretty stacked:

#3 Kyle Ayersman(Lake Central)

#7 Zach Stevens(Merrillville)

#9 Aurelio Medina(Munster)

#11 Cameron Halsted(Crown Point)

#13 Jarred Brooks(Warsaw)

#15 Paul Petrov(Hanover Central)

140:

#1 Steven Sandefer(Mishawaka)

#3 Alex Surma(Munster)

#8 Trace Hall(SB Riley)

#12 Darrius Richmond(Merrillville)

#13 Josh Flamme(Crown Point)

#15 Garrett Payne(Michigan City)

Has there been any recent occasions where the top 4 in a weight class at Conseco have all come from the same semi-state location? I remember last year at 130 the top 3 all came from Merrillville...1. Churchard 2. Roach 3. Young...

In 2000 at 119 from the Evansville SS Wiley Craft, Roncalli-2nd, Dustin Nosko,EMD-3rd,Matt Howe, Greenwood-4th, Chris Bailey, Vincennes-5th.  Bailey was defeated in the quaters by eventual State champ Bobby Howard.  Not to bad!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.