Mater Dei vs. Reitz

2016GrecoGold

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting match-ups this week.  MD is favored but they are not a dominate team.  They are very good and always will be.   There are a few clear favorites and many t0ss ups.  MD usually wins the toss ups but hey - I'm a Reitz fan so I'm keeping the faith!

103 - Reitz

112 - Toss up

119 -  Reitz

125 - Reitz  - match of the night

130 - Slight favorite to MD

135 - Slight favorite to MD

140 - MD - Reitz is coming on.

145 - MD

152 - Reitz

160 - MD

171 - Toss up

189 - Reitz

215 - Toss up

285 - Slight favorite to MD

Mater Dei wrestled great against Castle.  I was surprised after MD struggled against Jeffersonville - most of the people in the gym thought Castle would "get er done" but it didn't happen.  I think Castle is in much better shape now as is MD.  MD, Castle and Reitz are the clear leaders in the area with several teams loaded with individuals - Memorial, Mt. Vernon, Princeton,  North Posey, North, Heritiage Hills, Tell City and Harrison.

This is how i see it.

103 - Reitz 6-0

112 - MD 6-3

119 - Reitz 11-3

125 - MD 11-6

130 - MD 11-9

135 - MD 11- 12

140 - MD 11 - 18

145 - MD 11-24

152 - Reitz 14-24

160 - MD 14-27

171 - Reitz 17-27

189 - Reitz 20 -27

215 - MD 20-30

285 - MD 20-36

MD wins 36-20

There will be some good match ups.  If Reitz gets some more wins down low, it could be very interesting.

Last year:

MATER DEI 29 - REITZ 20

103lbs Brian Kuhn ® dec. Quinn Schroeder 9-7

112lbs Alex Johns ® major dec. Cody Moll 9-1

119lbs Alex Weinzapfel (MD) tech. fall Dylan Bakes 17-2

125lbs Nathan Jones ® dec. John Sims 5-1

130lbs Dan Schweizer (MD) dec. Shawn Robey 4-2

135lbs Adam Weinzapfel (MD) dec. Cole Schneider 6-4, OT

140lbs Drew Lappe (MD) dec.Tanner Babb 7-2

145lbs Josh Erkman (MD) dec. Conner Houchins 3-0

152lbs Nolan King (MD) major dec. Tyler Boyle 19-6

160lbs Shane Ritter ® major dec. Stephan Lovelace 11-1

171lbs Gus Haas ® dec. Matt Sims 4-2, OT

189lbs Jacob Schneider (MD) tech. fall Jeff Fentress 17-2

215lbs John Kercher (MD) dec. Zach Wimpelberg 8-4

285lbs Zach Campbell ® dec. Brad Niemeier 8-3.

Both teams have some flexibility in their line-ups which could throw some wrenches into the plans. If the line-ups stay as is, here's what I got.....

103 R maj

112 MD dec *

119 R maj

125 MD dec *

130 MD dec*

135 MD fall

140 MD maj *

145 MD maj

152 R dec

160 MD maj

171 R dec *

189 R dec

215 MD dec*

285 MD fall

I think thats puts the dual meet score at 36-17 MD. The * matches are swing matches that are good matchups and will go to who shows up for 6 mins. MD has flip-flopped Lannert and Appel, but Reitz could answer by bumping up in some places. 140 is an asterick because of the Simms saga...will he or Maruer wrestle? 215 because Kercher is the favorite, but as of late Wimp has looked better IMO. If the lower weight swings go Reitz's way, I see the score closer to 27-26 still for MD.

When was the last time Reitz beat EMD?  Which recent dual has been the closest?

Somebody help...but I seem to remeber Reitz and Mater Dei tied 2x, like in 78 and 79????? It seems that it was two years close together and I remeber that Reitz team that had Dan Durbin (yes, the teacher of the year) Randy Chips, Allen Grammer, the Barchet brothers...

Rumor has it Simms had some issues cutting weight at their dual meet last week. I heard he fainted between matches. Any truth to this from those in the "know"? I DONT KNOW THE WHOLE STORY AND I"M NOT SAYING THIS IS FACT.

I would have to say that is a rumor...Sims is Sims...

Rumor has it Simms had some issues cutting weight at their dual meet last week. I heard he fainted between matches. Any truth to this from those in the "know"? I DONT KNOW THE WHOLE STORY AND I"M NOT SAYING THIS IS FACT.

He seemed to do well in Oakville, so I'd say any saga that might have been rumored has ended...

Good luck to both teams...should be a good match-up as usual...it's always fun when the MD & Reitz fans come together!

Where would Reitz bump anyone around to get an advantage. I see Reitz disadvantaging themsleves if they bump anybody. That said, MD has, thus far, outperformed everyone's expectations. We'll see if they keep it up.

As far as the Sims comments. Maybe he had the flu, who knows, but he looked great in Oakville. Reitz only has two weight classes where I think they are certain to win but if they wrestle well they and get a few upsets it will be a heck of a dual.

I agree that Reitz only has a few clear favorites - but the same can be said for MD.  MD has the edge in the swing matches and I expect several 2-3 pt. decisions.  My prediction is both teams will score in the 20's with no pins.   Reitz does have a couple of interesting bump opportunities but not as many combinations as MD.  I expect both teams to play it pretty straight for Conference and Sectional seeding.  Seeds this year will be much more critical than in years past.

Both MD & Reitz fans wearing the black (westside) t-shirts should be a good photo opp.  (Senior Project to show support for Veterans) 

KarlHungus,

I can send text or email updates - send me a PM with your preference.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.