headgear?

hbmcgee

I think kids should always wear headgear.  Cauliflower ear is nasty and very painful.  I would like to see more kids wear headgear during freestyle season and at practice.   I know headgear is uncomfortable for alot of kids, but if it eliminates getting cauliflower ear it's worth it.

I think kids should always wear headgear.  Cauliflower ear is nasty and very painful.  I would like to see more kids wear headgear during freestyle season and at practice.   I know headgear is uncomfortable for alot of kids, but if it eliminates getting cauliflower ear it's worth it.

we mandate headgear wear in practice for all live drilling and wrestling

The middle school coach mandates headgear at practice but we don't at high school.  Luckily, we haven't had anyone with cauliflower ear yet this year.

Meanie!

I think kids should always wear headgear. Cauliflower ear is nasty and very painful. I would like to see more kids wear headgear during freestyle season and at practice. I know headgear is uncomfortable for alot of kids, but if it eliminates getting cauliflower ear it's worth it.

Meanie!

You must really get after it coaching with a vocabulary like that. I'm sure the rat and the soon to be Mrs. will learn you sum gud wraslin lingo.

My wife mandates it of our son as a requirement for wrestling, just like grades.  He comes home with a swollen ear, or she happens to walk by the room during practice and see him without them on...he is done.  No questions asked, end of discussion.  He had one doozie a few years ago that ballooned up big, black and ultimately painful.  Mom laid down the law then and it is no longer a question.  I never understood why adults hesitate to enforce this idea with their kids? 

Would they let their kids practice football without a mouthgaurd?  Why not?  Heck they are just teeth and as long as the kid keeps his mouth shut the rest of his life, no one will even know that he was an idiot!  And the cosmetic dentistry today looks better than most originals!  Think of how COOL they would look walking around with no teeth!  Then people would recognize them as football players!  How awesome and tough is that!  :P

I have yet to see a good looking fake ear! ;)

Comfort shouldn't be an issue since the introduction of the Cliff Keen Tornado headgear and its subsequent imitators (Brute Zero-G).  Allegedy this not-so-new headgear allows for better hearing, but I've yet to see it work with my wrestlers. ::)

My wife mandates it of our son as a requirement for wrestling, just like grades.  He comes home with a swollen ear, or she happens to walk by the room during practice and see him without them on...he is done.  No questions asked, end of discussion.  He had one doozie a few years ago that ballooned up big, black and ultimately painful.  Mom laid down the law then and it is no longer a question.  I never understood why adults hesitate to enforce this idea with their kids? 

Would they let their kids practice football without a mouthgaurd?  Why not?  Heck they are just teeth and as long as the kid keeps his mouth shut the rest of his life, no one will even know that he was an idiot!  And the cosmetic dentistry today looks better than most originals!  Think of how COOL they would look walking around with no teeth!  Then people would recognize them as football players!  How awesome and tough is that!  :P

I have yet to see a good looking fake ear! ;)

For the record.....I know it's not COOL to have Cauliflower ear....I said in may look cool... but I agree with the masses, headgear should be taken more seriously in the room and during the off season...but it should be personal preference, in some cases.  On another note....we have had this problem with our kids, that is those who don't wear them all the time get themselves in trouble during matches, always messing around with them instead of wrestling.  It can be a huge distraction for a kid who doesn't get used to wearing their headgear!

As far as wearing them during practice, I think it should ultimately be up to the kids ....Once they are highschool age, they are old enough to make that decision for themselves.. They understand the risk that comes with not wearing one

I require them at the middle school. 

The technology of headgear has come a long way, and many are actually not that uncomfortable.  The more you wear it, the more you get used to it.

I always made it a rule to wear them in practice.  I felt it gave my guys an advantage against teams that didn't wear them except for meets.  Also my guys weren't the ones that were constantly adjusting or aligning headgear during a meet because they wore them constantly.  That time of adjustment was a good opportunity to shoot a takedown or make for any possible advantage.  Think how long it takes to reach to your head from a neutral stance, if your arms are at waist to chest high, and then return your hands from your head to their regular position.  If this is done over and over it makes for a pattern of opportunity to shoot a takedown.  Worked for us.

....Once they are highschool age, they are old enough to make that decision for themselves.. They understand the risk that comes with not wearing one

HA HAHA HAHAHAHA....yup.  Just like they understand the risk of unprotected sex, drinking and driving and guns.  Heck they are practically geniuses by the time they hit that frosh. yr....man I can't wit till the youngest one hits HS and my job is done, cuz them kids is super smart! :o :o

....Once they are highschool age, they are old enough to make that decision for themselves.. They understand the risk that comes with not wearing one

HA HAHA HAHAHAHA....yup.  Just like they understand the risk of unprotected sex, drinking and driving and guns.  Heck they are practically geniuses by the time they hit that frosh. yr....man I can't wit till the youngest one hits HS and my job is done, cuz them kids is super smart! :o :o

Haha actually awood the highest incidence of drinking and driving accidents occurs within the 21-34 year old demographic, not highschool kids  :)...Gun violence is similar 18-24. ...My point is highschool kids know they can get cauliflower ear from wrestling...If they choose not to wear headgear in practice, its their ears that are at risk...I say let them make their own decesion instead of forcing them...Whats next, are you gonna force your daughter to wear a chastity belt like in robin hood to stop her from having unprotected sex??  ;) haha didnt think so

Haha actually awood the highest incidence of drinking and driving accidents occurs within the 21-34 year old demographic, not highschool kids  :)...Gun violence is similar 18-24. ...My point is highschool kids know they can get cauliflower ear from wrestling...If they choose not to wear headgear in practice, its their ears that are at risk...I say let them make their own decesion instead of forcing them...Whats next, are you gonna force your daughter to wear a chastity belt like in robin hood to stop her from having unprotected sex??  ;) haha didnt think so

YES!!...And that my friend is why I thank the lord every day for blessing me with 2 sons!! ;D

Neither of the statistics suprise me, as they are both after these infinitly wise young men and women are allowed by the law and their parents to make choices on their own!  HS kids are not allowed to buy alcohol or guns for a reason!  Because a mistake has life altering implications!  So if my kid wants to get an earring, or a hair cut, or wear clothes that I think are stupid, or "hang out" listening to music that gives me a headache...etc.  I am cool with that, he can make those choices on his own and if he looks through the yearbook years from now and says "What the heck was I thinking when I got that haricut!?"  I am OK with that. 

If he turns 40 and says "Geez Dad, what the heck were you thinking when you let me wrestle without headgear and now I am scarred for life with these "idiot tumors" on either side of my head!"  Should I say, "Well gee whiz son, I thought that you were really smart and mature. I thought you realized that in your effort to show your new found machismo that you were choosing to live the rest of your life with those lumps on your head.  I certainly didn't want you to feel like I was "forcing" you to do something that you didn't want to do, despite knowing that it could all be avoided with a $15 piece of equipment that you were required to wear when you competed.  I thought it was best to avoid the confrontation and just let you make your own decisions....my bad OOPS."

Now if at 40 he comes back and says, "Dad, I hold resentment for the controlling nature I felt as a youth when you made me wear headgear to wrestle!"  I will tell him to grow up and get over it! HAHA ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.