Flowrestling Radio Live Says Indiana Wrestling is Second Tier

8 minutes ago, AndyStJ said:

It could be worse. Michigan doesn't even exist in a tier.

I would put Michigan behind us, but not that far. They got dudes in high school and great college wrestling. 

Edited by Mattyb

The top tier(in somewhat order)

Pennsylvania
Ohio

California
New Jersey
Illinois

Second tier(not too much order)
Wisconsin
Michigan
Minnesota
Indiana
Oklahoma
Missouri
New York
Georgia(sneaking up there)

Look at NCAA qualifiers and All-Americans, Junior/16U/14U Duals results, Super 32 results, etc and you'll see most of these states in the mix. The second tier has good runs, then small lulls at times.

20 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

I would put Michigan behind us, but not that far. They got dudes in high school and great college wrestling. 

Recently Indiana has been better than Michigan, but over the course of 10-15 years Michigan is slightly ahead.

20 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Pennsylvania
Ohio

California
New Jersey
Illinois

Wisconsin
Michigan
Minnesota
Indiana
Oklahoma
Missouri
New York

Look at NCAA qualifiers and All-Americans, Junior/16U/14U Duals results, Super 32 results, etc and you'll see most of these states in the mix. The second tier has good runs, then small lulls at times.

Recently Indiana has been better than Michigan, but over the course of 10-15 years Michigan is slightly ahead.

Georgia is moving up quickly!!! They have some dudes!!!! With that said, they have 7 classes in high school. Our class wrestling advocates, need to research their recent success and bring that to the class wrestling debate!  @Thor

At the youth level they had Compound. I still see Minons. Lately.. Roundtree has been really tough. These dudes are tough as HELL. 

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

Georgia is moving up quickly!!! They have some dudes!!!! With that said, they have 7 classes in high school. Our class wrestling advocates, need to research their recent success and bring that to the class wrestling debate!  @Thor

At the youth level they had Compound. I still see Minons. Lately.. Roundtree has been really tough. These dudes are tough as HELL. 

Ugh, it is two weeks til tax day, I don't think I have the energy for this right now..... 

But I looked it up anyway, and my gosh their websites and state brackets stress me out. Even if they had a GeorgiaMat it would be hell figuring that system out. Still can't figure out what the order is from biggest to smallest. Caleb Henson was 5A, which helps me none. 

Either way, 7 is way too many divisions. Georgia had 1246 state qualifiers this year! That's insane! I just want two classes, or more qualifiers with wrestlebacks. 

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Pennsylvania
Ohio

California
New Jersey
Illinois

Wisconsin
Michigan
Minnesota
Indiana
Oklahoma
Missouri
New York

Forgot Iowa. They're the #1 per capita producer of top-level talent, despite the small numbers. California is second-tier in per capita talent, but the sheer numbers are big. Colorado and Florida are in the second tier discussion too despite not being in the wrestling belt, and Nebraska is top 10 in per capita talent.

12 hours ago, maligned said:

Forgot Iowa. They're the #1 per capita producer of top-level talent, despite the small numbers. California is second-tier in per capita talent, but the sheer numbers are big. Colorado and Florida are in the second tier discussion too despite not being in the wrestling belt, and Nebraska is top 10 in per capita talent.

Iowa definitely in the second tier. Colorado, Nebraska, and Florida are on the back end of tier 2 or the top of tier 3, they aren't consistent enough to be considered in tier 2.

We aren't doing the per capita stuff though. Per capita is the way Iowa justifies being relevant.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Ugh, it is two weeks til tax day, I don't think I have the energy for this right now..... 

But I looked it up anyway, and my gosh their websites and state brackets stress me out. Even if they had a GeorgiaMat it would be hell figuring that system out. Still can't figure out what the order is from biggest to smallest. Caleb Henson was 5A, which helps me none. 

Either way, 7 is way too many divisions. Georgia had 1246 state qualifiers this year! That's insane! I just want two classes, or more qualifiers with wrestlebacks. 

Georgia, Arizona, and Virginia love having as many classes as possible. I can't even imagine trying to rank seven classes of wrestling, that would be a disaster.

9 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Georgia, Arizona, and Virginia love having as many classes as possible. I can't even imagine trying to rank seven classes of wrestling, that would be a disaster.

As they said (not seriously) in the video, Virginia should be top tier because they have more state champions than anyone. It almost makes sense until you actually think about it.

3 minutes ago, AndyStJ said:

As they said (not seriously) in the video, Virginia should be top tier because they have more state champions than anyone. It almost makes sense until you actually think about it.

That was sarcasm, Pyle is from Virginia and coached there.

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Imagine all the profiles you would have on the site, 7 times as many as you have now. Sheesh. I would have a profile on here, and most of my wins came from the other team being too scared to send someone out.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Iowa definitely in the second tier. Colorado, Nebraska, and Florida are on the back end of tier 2 or the top of tier 3, they aren't consistent enough to be considered in tier 2.

We aren't doing the per capita stuff though. Per capita is the way Iowa justifies being relevant.

That's true. I agree that we shouldn't put much value on populations or enrollments to evaluate relative success. 😉

D1 Qualifier data is a limited way of evaluating who produces the top talent, but it's a decent starting point. 

Top 20 D1 Qualifiers, combined 2023 & 2024:

1    pa    89
2    il    54
3    oh    50
4    nj    49
5    ca    39
6    ny    33
7    ia    29
8    mn    28
9    mi    24
10    ok    23
11    wi    21
11    fl    21
13    mo    18
14    in    17
15    va    16
15    ga    16

17    co    13
18    nc    10
19    id    8
19    ks    8

Top 20, per capita (Qualifiers for 2 years, per 1 million residents):

1    ia    9.0
2    pa    6.9
3    ok    5.7
4    nj    5.3
5    mn    4.9
6    il    4.3
7    oh    4.2
8    id    4.1
9    wi    3.6
10    ne    3.5
11    mo    2.9
12    ks    2.7
13    in    2.5
14    mi    2.4
15    co    2.2

16    va    1.8
17    ny    1.7
18    ga    1.5
19    ct    1.4
20    al    1.4

(no CA or FL)

A little surprised to see ID and KS ahead of IN in per capita, but their populations are so low that 1 or 2 extra qualifiers would make a big difference. 

On 4/1/2024 at 3:08 PM, Mattyb said:

I may know a dude down in Georgia! We do always bust his, ugh marbles about the toughness of his competition. Definitely some hammers down there though. The Lovett School for anyone that was wondering. 

9 hours ago, XCard said:

I may know a dude down in Georgia! We do always bust his, ugh marbles about the toughness of his competition. Definitely some hammers down there though. The Lovett School for anyone that was wondering. 

Wasn't that dude the Georgia High School Wrestling Coach of the year?