NCAA tournament chat

Fun first round...a few things I saw:

--Nothing comes easy in this tournament! So many high seeds got pushed. 

--The jury's still out on Starocci. He didn't look like Starocci from this season, but he didn't need to. 

--Blake Boarman should have been in this tournament. Both of the other ranked guys from his conference that were in a 3-way results ring-around-the-rosey with him during the duals had very impressive R32 wins. And the 3rd guy that got an automatic bid won the 32/33 match over Cayden Rooks.

--IU has 3 guys with legit shots at being AAs. Lee continues to get it done in tight matches. G-Rooks continues to never show any quit and be a handful for anyone. And #23 Fongaro got a huge upset--coupled with the #26 also getting an upset so that he's now a 50/50 to get to the quarters. 

--Allred also got a big favor with the #26 from VA Tech upsetting #7 Glazier. Glazier crushed Allred during the year--but Silas tends to be about as steady as they come against guys he should beat. If he keeps his nerve and gets to the quarters, he obviously has two shots to win matches that would earn him AA status. 

More specifically with our Indiana interests in Session 1:

C-Rooks and Baumann lost

Bates and Willham won their pigtails before losing in the genuine first round

Mendez, Lemley, G-Rooks, Lee, Allred, Davison all won

IU got 3 of 6 into the Round of 16.  

Purdue got Ramos through (barely!) but lost their other 4 matches.

Session 2 at 7pm ET/6pm CT

Boilers had a rough showing yesterday. Ramos gets to the quarters by getting a first period takedown then stalling to a win. Greyson Clark is the last one going on to today, but barely. Baumann had a rough day going 0-2. Scored 9 points in the first period of his second match then proceeded to lose 13-9. He's done that a few times this year, maybe he has a gas tank issue? Or running too hot too fast? Buell looked awful, getting teched and then pinned after being up early. Blaze just had a bad tournament wrestling like he has all year. He has won a lot of close matches and they just didn't go his way yesterday. 

Still think there's a bright future for these guys. Purdue is trotting out one of the youngest teams in the country once again. Blaze has wins over two guys wrestling in the quarters today and Buell has another. Baumann and James Rowley still redshirt freshmen and Dustin Norris is a promising sophomore that just needs to heal up. Let's get Ramos a title this weekend, get Marcus Blaze to commit, and keep moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Boilers had a rough showing yesterday. Ramos gets to the quarters by getting a first period takedown then stalling to a win. Greyson Clark is the last one going on to today, but barely. Baumann had a rough day going 0-2. Scored 9 points in the first period of his second match then proceeded to lose 13-9. He's done that a few times this year, maybe he has a gas tank issue? Or running too hot too fast? Buell looked awful, getting teched and then pinned after being up early. Blaze just had a bad tournament wrestling like he has all year. He has won a lot of close matches and they just didn't go his way yesterday. 

Still think there's a bright future for these guys. Purdue is trotting out one of the youngest teams in the country once again. Blaze has wins over two guys wrestling in the quarters today and Buell has another. Baumann and James Rowley still redshirt freshmen and Dustin Norris is a promising sophomore that just needs to heal up. Let's get Ramos a title this weekend, get Marcus Blaze to commit, and keep moving forward. 

I don't know. Ramos is just not the Ramos of last year, nor does he seem like the Ramos we saw part of this year. At his best, he could be up 10-1 going into the second period on any of these guys. Why does he so rarely attack these days? Then his defense is good--but not the best on the planet. So he can get scored on and get matches stolen from him by guys that aren't nearly on his talent level. What gives?? Is he cutting too much for 125 at this point? 

Anyway...the truth is, if he can get past the quarters and face Davis and Ayala--I think he can still get it done. He'd be back in that underdog role he loves so much, and there's a good chance attack-mode could come back out. 

Posted (edited)

Summary of last night's results for our Indiana interests:

Baumann, Bates, Willham are out.

C-Rooks picks up two wins and makes it to the R24 in the consis. Lemley, G-Rooks, Lee all lose and fall into that round as well. Those 4 guys each need 3 wins to be AAs.

Mendez, Allred, Davison are in the quarterfinals.

Mendez beat Hardy, 11-3, during the year and is clearly favored. Allred will be a significant underdog versus #2 Hidlay, who's only gone the distance in 5 of his 26 wins during his undefeated season. Davison lost 5-3 to #2 Bastida this year, and should have a shot at the upset.

IU has 5 of 6 still alive in the consolations.

Purdue, as noted above, has Ramos in the quarters and Clark in the consis.

Edited by maligned

50 minutes ago, maligned said:

I don't know. Ramos is just not the Ramos of last year, nor does he seem like the Ramos we saw part of this year. At his best, he could be up 10-1 going into the second period on any of these guys. Why does he so rarely attack these days? Then his defense is good--but not the best on the planet. So he can get scored on and get matches stolen from him by guys that aren't nearly on his talent level. What gives?? Is he cutting too much for 125 at this point? 

Anyway...the truth is, if he can get past the quarters and face Davis and Ayala--I think he can still get it done. He'd be back in that underdog role he loves so much, and there's a good chance attack-mode could come back out. 

Honestly, I think that's just who he is as a wrestler. He very rarely blows guys out, even going back to last year. His run last year included three extremely tight matches before pinning Lee. He talks about letting it fly, but he rarely ever does against solid guys. He gets those takedowns so easily in the first and then doesn't go back and stalls, but no clue why he does it but that's his style at this point. I just wish he'd get two takedowns so I'm not so stressed. 

4 hours ago, maligned said:

Summary of last night's results for our Indiana interests:

Baumann, Bates, Willham are out.

C-Rooks picks up two wins and makes it to the R24 in the consis. Lemley, G-Rooks, Lee all lose and fall into that round as well. Those 4 guys each need 3 wins to be AAs.

Mendez, Allred, Davison are in the quarterfinals.

Mendez beat Hardy, 11-3, during the year and is clearly favored. Allred will be a significant underdog versus #2 Hidlay, who's only gone the distance in 5 of his 26 wins during his undefeated season. Davison lost 5-3 to #2 Bastida this year, and should have a shot at the upset.

IU has 5 of 6 still alive in the consolations.

Purdue, as noted above, has Ramos in the quarters and Clark in the consis.

Man, I wish Davison would open up his offense more. He is so solid in his technique and I almost get the impression he doesn’t really understand what an athletic freak he truly is.  Yonger is brutally strong and always seems to close out the close matches. I hope LD goes after him early and often and puts the pressure to him… I’m not sure a super tight match favors LD….if it comes to that, I hope I’m dead wrong.

1 hour ago, Beamaker said:

Man, I wish Davison would open up his offense more. He is so solid in his technique and I almost get the impression he doesn’t really understand what an athletic freak he truly is.  Yonger is brutally strong and always seems to close out the close matches. I hope LD goes after him early and often and puts the pressure to him… I’m not sure a super tight match favors LD….if it comes to that, I hope I’m dead wrong.

I think he ended up wrestling the perfect match. He pressured, pressured, pressured, wore him down, and kept testing the waters to snipe a low attack all through the last half of the match before finally getting that opening at the death. It was absolutely perfect and he needed every second to pull it off. What a thing of beauty!

3 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

Fix match crazy. Back to the landline! 

Next, John Smith and Bormet wrestle to decide it!

Edited by Ahap88

If ragusin woulda ride him out…wouldn’t he have won? He escaped at 28…he rides he has 30? What am I missing? Why cut him for takedown? Yes I’ve had some beers…and monitoring hoops. 

I have been informed the locked hands stopped time by my ihsaa reg kid. 

Edited by UncleJimmy