State Day 2: Placement and FINALS Discussion

Figured I’d get it out early so people could start talking things up as they return from the late lunch break. 

image.gif.1a50c6b31cc3865a52a1ea9a775058b8.gif

And @JayinSTL I apologize up front this time for any disappointment you may have after waking up from your late afternoon nap and not seeing this thread full of ridiculous takes while you sipping on your Ensure Plus Supplement drink. 

Edited by MattM

• MattM changed the title to State Day 2: Placement and FINALS Discussion
4 minutes ago, purdue02 said:

Should consolation matches at state have 1 minute first periods?  Always thought it was weird that the guys wrestling for 3rd place in the state only have a 5 minute match. 

NO, they shouldn't.  Just like the 3rd/4th place match at SS should not be shortened.

8 minutes ago, purdue02 said:

Should consolation matches at state have 1 minute first periods?  Always thought it was weird that the guys wrestling for 3rd place in the state only have a 5 minute match. 

I agree, especially at the state tournament level that 2-2-2 for consolations should be implemented.  One added minute is a lot to work with work for many of these razor thin matches. 

At one point the rule book used to give the choice of using  2-2-2 or 1-2-2 for consols.   But almost all of the time the event organizers went with 1-2-2, likely because it slightly sped things up.  I’m assuming that this trend caused them to adjust the rule book awhile back because last I read it now say all consolations are to be 1-2-2. 

Edited by MattM

11 minutes ago, rdrodd1 said:

No sound on mat 1 for me.

Checked, same for me on mat 1. Mats 2 & 3 have sound for me.

Mat 1 working for me now....

Edited by RAJR

Sounds has been going in and out all day on that mat.  It was Mat 2 until they rearranged the setup for the final round to make it the spotlight mat thus Mat 1.  

We may only have 1 or 2 undefeated kids at the end of the night.   There are 4 total still with unblemished records but on paper most look to be the underdog.  

I’m assuming that could be an all time low record, but also shows more top kids are getting battle tested as the season progresses.  

4 minutes ago, purdue02 said:

Finals start at 8:30 EST.  Is that matches or the face off?

Stream Broadcast says it starts at 8:30.  So I would assume that would include the Face-Off as it has in past years. 

14 minutes ago, Josephfloyd said:

So even if we have flo we're expected to pay to watch the finals?

Yes. Flo has never been given the rights to the live State Finals since it started broadcasting.   That has been exclusive to the IHSAA TV deal and is now just on their Streaming service.  

However, from what they are saying all the Finals matches (Not the Faceoff) will be recorded and available for playback on Flo or Trackwrestling with a Flo subscription.  Although you will have to click on them one at a time.