Frosh-Soph State Qualifier Idea

If you have bigger kids and you have to travel 3 hours for a qualifier on Super Bowl Sunday you usually find yourself getting home after the big game and approaching midnight if you change time zones. Idea - could the qualifiers swap low weight and high weights between the a.m and p.m. sessions every year instead of always doing the smaller guys in the morning?  Assuming many will compete both freshman and sophomore year, it’s a fair balance and means you only have to experience that extremely long day once. Advanced apologies to you middle weights that jump from light to heavy between 9th and 10th grade 🤣

I was actually thinking about that myself at Hobart. I was so proud of everyone today knocking 3 hours off last years time.  We had less wrestlers but we also went from 11 mats to 18 this year. I totally feel for the people traveling long distances. Now there is some rumbling. (See if it ever gets traction) of the NFL pushing back the Super Bowl to Presidents Day weekend ( or state weekend) because of the Monday after being a holiday. Or if the NFL gets what they really want an 18th regular season game that would do it as well.

Obviously we are just a host site and don’t run the tournament but I think there are some more tweaks we could do  as a host site to make it even better, and maybe have suggestions for tweaks of the overall format. 

27 minutes ago, Slop Drop and Roll said:

I was actually thinking about that myself at Hobart. I was so proud of everyone today knocking 3 hours off last years time.  We had less wrestlers but we also went from 11 mats to 18 this year. I totally feel for the people traveling long distances. Now there is some rumbling. (See if it ever gets traction) of the NFL pushing back the Super Bowl to Presidents Day weekend ( or state weekend) because of the Monday after being a holiday. Or if the NFL gets what they really want an 18th regular season game that would do it as well.

Obviously we are just a host site and don’t run the tournament but I think there are some more tweaks we could do  as a host site to make it even better, and maybe have suggestions for tweaks of the overall format. 

Well done on streamlining your event and thanks for being a host site. I know the Super Bowl is secondary to some good ole’ wrestling so my suggestion was partially tongue in cheek. Nevertheless, when people are willing to take suggestions in the name of continuous improvement for these events it is always appreciated. 

44 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

As big as it is we could do one per semi-state. I would be happy to host one at Homestead next year. 

428 total wrestlers at the South qualifier

540 total wrestlers at the North qualifier

Great numbers, but it would be nice to see these distributed a little more evenly. It seems like the Indy area prefers to come up to the North as opposed to heading South. I would imagine if you did add a Central qualifier on the same day as both the North and South, it would help shorten up the days at each location. Probably would add to the overall numbers too, as I would imagine some of the centrally located wrestlers would be more willing to wrestle without having to travel to different time zones. 

4 hours ago, XCard said:

428 total wrestlers at the South qualifier

540 total wrestlers at the North qualifier

Great numbers, but it would be nice to see these distributed a little more evenly. It seems like the Indy area prefers to come up to the North as opposed to heading South. I would imagine if you did add a Central qualifier on the same day as both the North and South, it would help shorten up the days at each location. Probably would add to the overall numbers too, as I would imagine some of the centrally located wrestlers would be more willing to wrestle without having to travel to different time zones. 

Central Time Wrestling is the best wrestling.