IU looking pretty good at the Southern Scuffle

The Hoosiers send 6 wrestlers into the semi finals tomorrow. Fongaro, G. Rooks, Lillard, Rogotzke, Washington, and Sollars. If Gilcher were available, I feel like he would be in there, too. Anyone know the extent of his injury and likely return?

Also Blake Boarman of the host UT Chattanooga from Mater Dei. Feel free to add any Indiana natives I might have missed.

Blake Boarman going for 3rd and 4th against 1 seed Nasir Bailey. Blake knocked off 2 seed Tyler Knox of Stanford 11-4. He lost to Kurt Phipps of Bucknell 8-3 in the semis.

IU in 2nd with three in the finals. Just ahead of Army and Oklahoma.

Rogotzke with a fantastic come from behind pin after whiffing on a cement mixer and nearly being pinned himself,  to take 3rd @ 184. 2 champions, G Rooks and Fongaro. Lillard and Washington defaulted out. Sollars a hard fought 4th place.

They ended in 3rd just a few points behind Oklahoma due to the HWT final.   2 Champs, 1 Runner Up, 1 3rd and 2 4th. Not a bad showing for the Hoosiers especially with a couple starters not in the lineup. 

Edited by MattM

29 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Lillard's injury looked bad.  The north Colorado kid got DQ for flagrant misconduct.  

Damn. I wasn't home in time to see that match and didn't know that.

40 minutes ago, Ahap88 said:

Damn. I wasn't home in time to see that match and didn't know that.

Lillard was in the splits defending a takedown the guy stands with Lillard's leg and drove his knee into Lillards knee hyperextending it.  Looked like he was frustrated not being able to score

25 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Lillard was in the splits defending a takedown the guy stands with Lillard's leg and drove his knee into Lillards knee hyperextending it.  Looked like he was frustrated not being able to score

I found it on the mat 2 replay and watched it. That wasn't a legitimate wrestling move.😠

Probably should've been stalemated in the first place, they were in that position too long.

Don't know any specific details, just saw that he (DJ) was helped up and off the mat after his win in the semi-finals. Hated to see him "limping" off the mat with assistance and hope it isn't serious. 

Edited by RAJR
clarification

On 1/2/2024 at 10:44 PM, Ahap88 said:

I found it on the mat 2 replay and watched it. That wasn't a legitimate wrestling move.😠

Probably should've been stalemated in the first place, they were in that position too long.

Right , I was a legitimate , intentional ,move to injure. Not unlike DJ’s injury a season or so back by Purdue wrestler at Wilkinson.  So what can be done ,or what can you do, about these intentional moves? 

Lillard is not the first person this POS has injured or tried to injure, there seems to be a host of others. What a shame for the IU wrestler. Head coaches ,in this situation ,need to speak up and take a leadership role in addressing conduct of this nature.  

13 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

Thanks to Tina Lillard the ball got rolling. Iu , NCAA , and coaches association should be in the middle of this discussion. No doubt she  lawyerd up and got some good advice. It can’t be tolerated. Too bad for the sport of wrestling neither coach ,for the respective teams involved here , spoke up. Everyone should be outraged. This kind of behavior has to be snuffed immediately as it happens.  It’s so easy to do because of the nature of the sport. This can put a damper on popularity or growth of wrestling real quick.