What were the HAVE TO SEE matches from Semistate?

Ahawkeye

59 minutes ago, Bashin142 said:

I maybe obviously biased, however Cael Albaugh in the ticket round at NC Semi-State against Jef Waugh from Chatard with the reversal to a fall down 13-8 with 19 secs left fits the criteria for this post.  As the saying goes: If there's time on the clock you have a chance.  

That one was a close call for sure. Doesn't get much closer.

18 hours ago, Bashin142 said:

I maybe obviously biased, however Cael Albaugh in the ticket round at NC Semi-State against Jef Waugh from Chatard with the reversal to a fall down 13-8 with 19 secs left fits the criteria for this post.  As the saying goes: If there's time on the clock you have a chance.  

Agree. I foolishly looked away to another mat for a few seconds and heard the rumble from the crowd. It’s never over until it’s over. I had to utter those words to my family “uhh, what happened”!? Congrats.  Two tough kids and what a finish. 

Edited by Lawdiggity
Spelling

23 hours ago, MattM said:

I’ve believe several of Thrine’s opponents have said the same thing when he puts them on their back out of nowhere. 

He's got another gear, the presence of mind he had to turn the corner after that body lift and run through that finish was disgusting.. The week before wolf shot a outside single, Ty lifted that leg to make wolf whiff and he commenced to Finish it quick.. the 10-3 Dec over Ingalls is the only match this year he didn't get bonus points, 34 pins, 2 maj, 1 tech and that 10-3 dec

On 2/11/2023 at 10:02 PM, Ahawkeye said:

I can understand the frustration but I think the ref got it right in the first OT. I suppose there was some off camera action at the end?

waiving off the two was the right call. but from a fan perspective, my biggest frustration is a referee that incompetent officiating matches this important in the first place. that whole sequence was a total meltdown. not only did he give two wrongly, but then he continued to let them scramble for 15 seconds afterwards. my man, it's sudden death! if you give two it's over. lewis is actually the guy that got screwed there. he was in position to come out the backdoor and score off his leg pass if the two isn't given.

i know some are going to say "officiating is hard" and we shouldn't criticize the guys who are out there because we have a shortage, but if you're out there you have a responsibility to the kids. watch wrestling. be a student of the sport. these issues occur because we have old guys who have no idea what they're looking at. anybody who stays current with wrestling knows that wasn't close to two. 

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

waiving off the two was the right call. but from a fan perspective, my biggest frustration is a referee that incompetent officiating matches this important in the first place. that whole sequence was a total meltdown. not only did he give two wrongly, but then he continued to let them scramble for 15 seconds afterwards. my man, it's sudden death! if you give two it's over. lewis is actually the guy that got screwed there. he was in position to come out the backdoor and score off his leg pass if the two isn't given.

i know some are going to say "officiating is hard" and we shouldn't criticize the guys who are out there because we have a shortage, but if you're out there you have a responsibility to the kids. watch wrestling. be a student of the sport. these issues occur because we have old guys who have no idea what they're looking at. anybody who stays current with wrestling knows that wasn't close to two. 

I hear you. I hear you from a lot of angles there. But I will say there's one really good way to help out the official shortage.

13 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

I hear you. I hear you from a lot of angles there. But I will say there's one really good way to help out the official shortage.

Already looked up the info for signing up. Will just have to see if I can make it work for my schedule and other responsibilities. Been thinking about it for a while now.

16 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

And unfortunately ,this is and always will be part of wrestling. You see it every year. Breaks our hearts for it to be this consequential for the wrestlers,in the state tournament, but it will always be part of the sport. 

1 hour ago, Disco said:

And unfortunately ,this is and always will be part of wrestling. You see it every year. Breaks our hearts for it to be this consequential for the wrestlers,in the state tournament, but it will always be part of the sport. 

I disagree. Will there always be mistakes? Absolutely. But this is a different kind of mistake.

For example, the Turner-Day mistake (assuming the clock on screen was right) will always be a part of the sport as long as there isn't replay. Day did not get a reversal until a full second after time runs out. But he did gain control and it's a bang bang call that human beings can miss in the heat of the moment. 

This mistake is different. It's a mistake of ignorance that can be easily rectified if you take a couple hours each week to watch wrestling and learn what is going on out there. The leg pass has been in popular use for 15 years now. It is as basic a technique as a single or double at this point. There is no excuse for not understanding it.

4 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

For example, the Turner-Day mistake (assuming the clock on screen was right) will always be a part of the sport as long as there isn't replay. Day did not get a reversal until a full second after time runs out. But he did gain control and it's a bang bang call that human beings can miss in the heat of the moment. 

Just as a clarification, depending upon the venue the TrackWrestling clock is not the official clock and mainly used as a backup. At Fort Wayne the TW clock and the main clock were not synchronized so there were obviously times where the clock on the screen was different.