Iran wrestling news

2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I can't keep up. Only way to be sure is when we see them on the mats at the end of the week. 

Amouzad-Otoguru-Mamedov

Sidakov-Dake

Taylor-Yazdani

Kurbanov-Azarpira

Snyder-Sadulaev

Zare-Taha-Geno 

Monster matches.

12 hours ago, The Genius said:

I can't keep up. Only way to be sure is when we see them on the mats at the end of the week. 

Amouzad-Otoguru-Mamedov

Sidakov-Dake

Taylor-Yazdani

Kurbanov-Azarpira

Snyder-Sadulaev

Zare-Taha-Geno 

Monster matches.

57 unseeded Higuchi and Uguev.

65 unseeded Otoguro and Mamedov.

74 unseeded Sidakov and Kadi.

97 unseeded Sadulaev.

Gonna be a crazy worlds and I can’t wait!

11 hours ago, The Genius said:

The UWW really destroyed their website. It's so hard/impossible to find information on past tournaments/matches or wrestler profiles now. Not to mention paywalling all their streams. 

Serious? We have to pay for the worlds stream?? I assumed they were gonna role out uww+ after the world championships as it’s only a couple of days away and haven’t seen any details about price etc. 

I blame the Americans and their flowrestling model. Uww execs took one look at that and couldn’t resist.

7 hours ago, jross said:

I'm afraid there's nothing much fun to say from an Iranian perspective. Taylor is a huge favourite after last years performance.

Honestly can't remember anyone shutting down Yazdani's attack better than Taylor did last year. Even when Gazimagomedov dominated Hassan years ago, Yazdani scored at least a couple of points. Last year he scored zero points from open wrestling, not even one push out.

Not only that, but just watched the match again, and Taylor was scoring a couple of times off Hassan's underhook. He's evolved his game from dropping to his knees as soon as Yazdani secures an underhook, to hitting a leg from an angle. Plus he came in with heavy aggressive collars ties from the start that def troubled Hassan.

Hyped for the match as always. and obviously hoping Yazdani can do something spectacular, but 100% Taylor's a big favourite imo.

Edited by kmrabr

5 hours ago, kmrabr said:

Serious? We have to pay for the worlds stream?? I assumed they were gonna role out uww+ after the world championships as it’s only a couple of days away and haven’t seen any details about price etc. 

I blame the Americans and their flowrestling model. Uww execs took one look at that and couldn’t resist.

Yeah, if their only competitor is putting their content behind a paywall then it doesn't make financial sense for UWW not to do the same. 

It's only 15 EUR for the world championships, so it's not too bad. I am more annoyed at how they have ruined their website, it's borderline unusable now. All the wrestler profiles have disappeared too. Huge downgrade. 

20 hours ago, jross said:

Yazdani's gas tank held up well and he was on the attack against Taylor throughout the entire match. He had two main problems: he couldn't convert good positions / underhooks against DT (who would drop to his knees very quickly every time) on the edge of the mat, and DT's counterattacks kept catching him off-guard.

Three key moments:

With 35 seconds to go in the first period with Yaz leading 1-0, Yazdani gets the underhook and pushes DT towards the edge, DT circles and just about escapes (second photo). 5 seconds later, DT re-attacks and gets the TD to make it 2-1 to Taylor at the end of the first period. 

Screenshot2023-09-14at11_17_05.thumb.png.9cff118f5aac5c4d708663b40f875706.png

image.thumb.png.51888bafe8dc960ef3ebc73ea9ea8b6a.png

With just over 1 minute left, DT leading 5-1, Yazdani has DT (grounded) in a headlock near the edge of the mat, a very common position in this match. Yaz sweeps DT's left arm and gets behind but can't convert for a TD. It looks like a pin was in play with Yazdani's left arm holding DT's head up, but he doesn't convert anything and gets no points from this incredible position.

This was the only time Yaz was able to make something (almost) work from having DT grounded near the edge of the mat, it's a potential avenue for success in their next match.

Screenshot2023-09-14at11_20_07.thumb.png.98d19c633bba87b3f417b44fa4a5948b.png

With under 40 seconds left, Yazdani keeps attacking (no sign of major conditioning issues here). Yet again, DT is grounded near the edge of the mat and Yazdani has the headlock. Yazdani tries to get behind but leaves an opening and DT counters, springing up to grab Yazdani's right leg and converts the TD. Match ends 7-1 DT. 

Screenshot2023-09-14at11_20_40.thumb.png.cfa7d566f7795bcaaf924394a9902c21.png

Edited by The Genius

I do not think it will happen, as I believe the last match was the anomaly, but let's say DT wins something vicious... maybe a 12-2 Tech?

Does Yazdani then consider 97 KG and Ghasempour make the drop for 2024?

I am of the mind that he would succeed at whatever weight he goes.  He has one generational talent to deal with at 86 KG rather than two at 97 KG is the largest difference.

FTR - I believe it ends up being a 4-3/3-3 type match with one person getting a TD and that person winning.  I will go DT because of homerisms, but I would not bet on this match.

Edit: You could add two points to the victor on an errant last second failed TD attempt that gets countered - similar to 2021 Worlds.

Edited by nhs67

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I do not think it will happen, as I believe the last match was the anomaly, but let's say DT wins something vicious... maybe a 12-2 Tech?

Does Yazdani then consider 97 KG and Ghasempour make the drop for 2024?

I am of the mind that he would succeed at whatever weight he goes.  He has one generational talent to deal with at 86 KG rather than two at 97 KG is the largest difference.

FTR - I believe it ends up being a 4-3/3-3 type match with one person getting a TD and that person winning.  I will go DT because of homerisms, but I would not bet on this match.

Edit: You could add two points to the victor on an errant last second failed TD attempt that gets countered - similar to 2021 Worlds.

The difference between Yazdani and Sadulaev is that Yazdani has already moved up from 70/74kg. Sadulaev was small/underpowered at 97kg for the first 1-2 years after moving up from 86kg. Yazdani won't have that luxury if he decides to move up this close to the Olympics. 

I don't see Yazdani moving up to 97kg whatever happens. In the first two matches against DT he dominated the first period then gassed in the second period. In the third match he controlled the match and led throughout, but lost to a last second TD in a a razor close match. The fourth match was similar to the third, but Yazdani did a better job of shutting down Taylor's attacks and won 6-2. In the fifth, Taylor did a great job of shutting down Yazdani's underhook attacks and won 7-1. Notably, Yazdani has not had major conditioning issues since the first two times he wrestled DT, so a blow out match for either guy isn't likely IMO. 

DT is obviously the clear favourite going forward, but I expect the next match to be similar to the last three, decided by small margins influenced by adjustments made by each wrestler. Age is also on Yazdani's side, DT has been wrestling for a long time and won't stay in his prime forever. It's anyone's guess whether age will noticeably impact DT by next year (when he will be 33). 

Edited by The Genius

23 hours ago, The Genius said:

Yazdani's gas tank held up well and he was on the attack against Taylor throughout the entire match. He had two main problems: he couldn't convert good positions / underhooks against DT (who would drop to his knees very quickly every time) on the edge of the mat, and DT's counterattacks kept catching him off-guard.

Three key moments:

With 35 seconds to go in the first period with Yaz leading 1-0, Yazdani gets the underhook and pushes DT towards the edge, DT circles and just about escapes (second photo). 5 seconds later, DT re-attacks and gets the TD to make it 2-1 to Taylor at the end of the first period. 

Screenshot2023-09-14at11_17_05.thumb.png.9cff118f5aac5c4d708663b40f875706.png

image.thumb.png.51888bafe8dc960ef3ebc73ea9ea8b6a.png

With just over 1 minute left, DT leading 5-1, Yazdani has DT (grounded) in a headlock near the edge of the mat, a very common position in this match. Yaz sweeps DT's left arm and gets behind but can't convert for a TD. It looks like a pin was in play with Yazdani's left arm holding DT's head up, but he doesn't convert anything and gets no points from this incredible position.

This was the only time Yaz was able to make something (almost) work from having DT grounded near the edge of the mat, it's a potential avenue for success in their next match.

Screenshot2023-09-14at11_20_07.thumb.png.98d19c633bba87b3f417b44fa4a5948b.png

With under 40 seconds left, Yazdani keeps attacking (no sign of major conditioning issues here). Yet again, DT is grounded near the edge of the mat and Yazdani has the headlock. Yazdani tries to get behind but leaves an opening and DT counters, springing up to grab Yazdani's right leg and converts the TD. Match ends 7-1 DT. 

Screenshot2023-09-14at11_20_40.thumb.png.cfa7d566f7795bcaaf924394a9902c21.png

Concerning things about their last match:

- Hassan couldn’t score a push out.

- Taylor scored off Yazdani’s underhook.

- great Yaz didn’t tire but we could put this down as a factor in all previous loses, this time just means 100% Taylor out wrestled him.

I know the match came down to just a few specific moments but that’s almost all wrestling at the top level. 

I do think Yazdani could beat him, and obv hope he does, but how Taylor wrestled last year was seriously impressive.

17 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I add the last 2 pts Taylor scored last year to that category tbh. 5-1 down with like 30sec to go so Hassan put himself in a position he never does against Taylor out of desperation. But I mean that’s wrestling so it doesn’t really matter. 

To answer your question, can’t see Yazdani going up all the way to 97, we saw him at 92 in the league before but 97 seems a stretch. Plus we’ve got a couple of promising guys coming up at the weight anyway.

54 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Concerning things about their last match:

- Hassan couldn’t score a push out.

- Taylor scored off Yazdani’s underhook.

- great Yaz didn’t tire but we could put this down as a factor in all previous loses, this time just means 100% Taylor out wrestled him.

I know the match came down to just a few specific moments but that’s almost all wrestling at the top level. 

I do think Yazdani could beat him, and obv hope he does, but how Taylor wrestled last year was seriously impressive.

Push out points haven't been a major avenue for Yaz the last few times since DT was able to drop to his knees near the edge to avoid giving up the point (a dumb rule which he takes full advantage of). Yaz was about 1mm away from getting a push out in the first period last time anyway (which would mean the first period ends 2-0 Yaz rather than 2-1 DT). He needs takedowns, not push out points. 

The biggest problem for Yazdani is not being able to convert his dominant positions at the edge of the mat into points. If he works hard on that scenario the result can be different. DT is overall the better wrestler, there's no denying that, but I think people are making too much of the last result and it will be another close match. 

59 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Plus we’ve got a couple of promising guys coming up at the weight anyway.

We are very well stocked at 92-97kg. Ghasempour (26), Azarpira (21), Azimi (19-20), AH Firouzpour (21), Goleij (27), Babaloo (19-20) and others. 

Ghasempour is only 26 so he could even go back down to 86kg if Yazdani (28) retires earlier than expected. 

Azarpira is the stand out talent there for me. Crazy that he became U23 World Champ at the age of 19 and has a recent tech fall victory over Tskaulov (current World Silver medalist at 97kg). I think he will be our rep at 97kg for 2024 and 2028 and I expect him to medal at both. 

Edited by The Genius

Insane top half bracket at 65! Musukaev, Otoguro, and Mamedov all together. Fingers crossed Rahman makes it to semi final then he has to meet one of those three.

Tough draw for Emami, Sidakov in his second match. But if he can pull off something special he’ll avoid Dake, Kadi, Chamizo, and Salkazanov who are all bottom half.

Valizadeh in a stacked bottom half at 57, was expecting much from him any just hope he wrestles well.

Goleij stuck with Snyder and Sad.

Azapira gets Valencia in his second match, hoping for a repeat of last time.

Imminent quarter final showdown with Usmanov for Nokhodi at 79, bit worried can’t lie.

7 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Insane top half bracket at 65! Musukaev, Otoguro, and Mamedov all together. Fingers crossed Rahman makes it to semi final then he has to meet one of those three.

Tough draw for Emami, Sidakov in his second match. But if he can pull off something special he’ll avoid Dake, Kadi, Chamizo, and Salkazanov who are all bottom half.

Valizadeh in a stacked bottom half at 57, was expecting much from him any just hope he wrestles well.

Goleij stuck with Snyder and Sad.

Azapira gets Valencia in his second match, hoping for a repeat of last time.

Imminent quarter final showdown with Usmanov for Nokhodi at 79, bit worried can’t lie.

Any Israelis?

My predictions after draws:

57 - Valizadeh probably wins first round but then loses to Richards and Richards loses to one of Uguev or Abakorov (DNP)

61 - Atri has a good shot at finals again as long as the Israeli loses in the first round. His biggest opponents on his side are Vito and the Kyrgiz guy and I will take Atri over both. He will lose to Abasgadzhi though. (Silver)

65 - Amouzad got Otoguro, Mamedov and Musukaev all on his side of the bracket but thankfully they face eachother before they face Amouzad. I think I'll take Amouzad over a tired Otoguro but it's tough. Other side's best guy is Aliev who Amouzad beats easily. (Gold)

70 - Pretty good draw for Lil Yaz, Zherbaev and Zain both on the other side. His biggest opponent has to be Ekmataliev who he has history with but I just don't trust Lil Yaz to beat him again. He's by far our most inconsistent wrestler. (Bronze)

74 - Unfortunately Emami gets Sidakov early but every other great wrestler is on the other side. Should be a sure thing for bronze. (Bronze)

79 - Again we get the best guy early but Nokhodi is closer to Usmanov. That's a 50-50 bout but we should medal either way because Chance has proven that he's nowhere near Nokhodi. (Bronze)

86 - Draw doesn't matter. It will be the same final as always. I don't even want to predict this weight because I feel it will give negative energy. Let's go Hassan!

92 - Azarpira will probably have to go through Zahid, Nurmagomedov and Valiev just to get to the finals. I love Azarpira but there's no way he doesn't drop 1 if not 2 of those matches. (No medal but should get points)

97 - Another terrible draw. It's even worse because Goleij gets Sadulaev first, potentially tiring him before he meets Snyder. Best we can hope is for Goleij to qualify us for Olympics. (5th)

125 - Draw is fine. Zare get's a rematch with Taha but I am a firm believer that last year was a fluke. No Gable so Zare shouldn't have a problem. (Gold)

Edited by Amir.Sol

Atri has a good draw and could make the final (Silver), or at least win Bronze.

Amir Yazdani has a great draw, Silver if he can beat Akmataliev, Bronze if not. 

Yazdani has a very easy path to the final, not that it matters. The Russian is in DT's bracket but he's not very good anyway.

Zare vs Taha SF incoming as usual lol. Gold if he beats Taha, Bronze if not. 

I'll take 4/4 medals from the day 1 wrestlers.