Iran wrestling news

1 hour ago, LJB said:

so...

U23 worlds start monday at 4:30 in the am on the right coast with the good stuff... greco...

the US has two medal hopefuls...

schultz at 130kg monday...

peak at 72kg tuesday...

i don't have warm fuzzies for the rest of the US squad...

Greco? Is that like gyros, saganaki, and stuff?

2 hours ago, LJB said:

so...

U23 worlds start monday at 4:30 in the am on the right coast with the good stuff... greco...

the US has two medal hopefuls...

schultz at 130kg monday...

peak at 72kg tuesday...

i don't have warm fuzzies for the rest of the US squad...

Schultz is by far the best chance for USA if he can avoid Yousefi and the Hungarian. Everyone else he can beat. How good is the USA rep at 82? That weight is wide open so Cunningham could sneak in for a medal imo.

In terms of this Iran team, it's very good but I don't see us winning many golds. At least one gold is guaranteed with Yousefi. And then we have another 3 possible golds. Dadmarz and Mokhtari are our two senior members and should do well but they both have to worry about an Oslo world champ in their weights! Not sure how well they'll do but it's a good test, specially Mokhtari against Amoyan. I also think Mohmadi can win gold because of how open 82 is. I'm predicting 2 golds and 6-8 medals for us but the draw will be important.

11 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Schultz is by far the best chance for USA if he can avoid Yousefi and the Hungarian. Everyone else he can beat. How good is the USA rep at 82? That weight is wide open so Cunningham could sneak in for a medal imo.

In terms of this Iran team, it's very good but I don't see us winning many golds. At least one gold is guaranteed with Yousefi. And then we have another 3 possible golds. Dadmarz and Mokhtari are our two senior members and should do well but they both have to worry about an Oslo world champ in their weights! Not sure how well they'll do but it's a good test, specially Mokhtari against Amoyan. I also think Mohmadi can win gold because of how open 82 is. I'm predicting 2 golds and 6-8 medals for us but the draw will be important.

the main thing i can say about cunningham is that i do not know him at all...

which, take that for whatever it is worth, but, it does not feel me with very high hopes...

and yes, i get my heart ripped out almost every worlds...

but, that is going to change soon enough...

8 minutes ago, LJB said:

the main thing i can say about cunningham is that i do not know him at all...

which, take that for whatever it is worth, but, it does not feel me with very high hopes...

and yes, i get my heart ripped out almost every worlds...

but, that is going to change soon enough...

I hope so too. As much as I hate to admit it, USA being good at Greco is good for the sport. I don't believe Greco is less popular in the US because it's "boring". I think it's less popular because the US sucks. Casual watchers don't care as much about points scored. If USA can win a few olympic medals then people will watch it. 

And Arami is good but nothing close to Esmaeli-Leivesi. Esmaeli is by far our best up and coming guy, has some very impressive wins already. I believe the reason he's not here is because he cuts too much and they want to save him for the world cup. I didn't watch the match but your kid shouldn't feel bad about losing to a future olympic champion :).

9 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

I hope so too. As much as I hate to admit it, USA being good at Greco is good for the sport. I don't believe Greco is less popular in the US because it's "boring". I think it's less popular because the US sucks. Casual watchers don't care as much about points scored. If USA can win a few olympic medals then people will watch it. 

And Arami is good but nothing close to Esmaeli-Leivesi. Esmaeli is by far our best up and coming guy, has some very impressive wins already. I believe the reason he's not here is because he cuts too much and they want to save him for the world cup. I didn't watch the match but your kid shouldn't feel bad about losing to a future olympic champion :).

i could rant for longer than anyone wants to hear about why US greco is sub par...

but...

we got some things going on right now that will help change that... at least in my world...

my kid wrestled tough against leivesi and i have no complaints at all, but, it was hard to watch him just run through everyone domestically, be in the finals of seniors at the open and then just be totally ineffective against leivesi and then again against the japanese wrestler... 

FWIW... i din't get the sense leivesi was over sized for the weight, but, obviously some hold their weight differently... he is a total stud and i love watching him wrestle...

my younger son was 5th at cadets in hungary in 21, but, got jobbed a little in the semis at trials this year... 

those things have made us change up some stuff... 

i expect much better results next summer...

7 minutes ago, LJB said:

i could rant for longer than anyone wants to hear about why US greco is sub par...

but...

we got some things going on right now that will help change that... at least in my world...

my kid wrestled tough against leivesi and i have no complaints at all, but, it was hard to watch him just run through everyone domestically, be in the finals of seniors at the open and then just be totally ineffective against leivesi and then again against the japanese wrestler... 

FWIW... i din't get the sense leivesi was over sized for the weight, but, obviously some hold their weight differently... he is a total stud and i love watching him wrestle...

my younger son was 5th at cadets in hungary in 21, but, got jobbed a little in the semis at trials this year... 

those things have made us change up some stuff... 

i expect much better results next summer...

Good luck to them!

6 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Here is hoping you get over 256 pages. (I was Wrestleknownothing over there).

Why did you change your name? To confuse us or are you in the times protection program ? 😀

grest to have you here

9 hours ago, Irani said:

Why did you change your name? To confuse us or are you in the times protection program ? 😀

grest to have you here

I changed my name there, not here. I was on this message board first. I challenged my brother in law to figure out which username was mine and he got it on the first try. So when I found out about themat I decided to use a different username. He guessed that one right away too. 

For completeness, both names are accurate. When I came on this board I was brand spanking new to the sport.