Iran wrestling news

On 8/23/2023 at 10:37 AM, Uwwdoc said:

Kamran will not wrestle at the Worlds.

He is injured.

Azarpira will replace him

I read it’s a groin injury? Do you know if it’s a continuation of the earlier injury or he just redid it?

That's really a shame for Ghasempour but Azarpira is a great replacement - a gold favourite for a gold favourite. I am surprised he can make 92kg given he has only ever competed at 97kg since he was 19 years old (now 21).

Worlds line up and my predictions:

57kg (Valizadeh) - hopeless - DNP

61kg (Atri) - small chance of reaching a Bronze match with a good draw - DNP

65kg (Amouzad) - will be amazing to see Amouzad face off against Mamedov and Otoguru - Silver

70kg (Yazdani) - he is too unreliable to expect anything from - DNP 

74kg (Emami) - 74kg will be stacked with Dake, Sidakov, Kadimagomedov, Salkanazov but Emami is very good - Bronze

79kg (Nokhodi) - probably the best chance Nokhodi will get to win Gold, but Usmanov will be a problem - Gold

86kg (Yazdani) - we know how this goes, Yazdani has to hope for DT to age overnight or wait for him to retire - Silver

92kg (Azarpira) - a great talent and still so young, probably our strongest chance for Gold - Gold

97kg (Goleij) - reliable but not spectacular, really a shame Azarpira couldn't go in his place - Bronze

125kg (Zare) - very exciting match-ups here, especially Zare vs Gable, I'm backing Zare all the way - Gold

I expect 3 Gold, 2 Silver and 2 Bronze from this overall very strong team. Too optimistic? 

Edited by The Genius

On 8/27/2023 at 9:27 PM, The Genius said:

That's really a shame for Ghasempour but Azarpira is a great replacement - a gold favourite for a gold favourite. I am surprised he can make 92kg given he has only ever competed at 97kg since he was 19 years old (now 21).

Worlds line up and my predictions:

57kg (Valizadeh) - hopeless - DNP

61kg (Atri) - small chance of reaching a Bronze match with a good draw - DNP

65kg (Amouzad) - will be amazing to see Amouzad face off against Mamedov and Otoguru - Silver

70kg (Yazdani) - he is too unreliable to expect anything from - DNP 

74kg (Emami) - 74kg will be stacked with Dake, Sidakov, Kadimagomedov, Salkanazov but Emami is very good - Bronze

79kg (Nokhodi) - probably the best chance Nokhodi will get to win Gold, but Usmanov will be a problem - Gold

86kg (Yazdani) - we know how this goes, Yazdani has to hope for DT to age overnight or wait for him to retire - Silver

92kg (Azarpira) - a great talent and still so young, probably our strongest chance for Gold - Gold

97kg (Goleij) - reliable but not spectacular, really a shame Azarpira couldn't go in his place - Bronze

125kg (Zare) - very exciting match-ups here, especially Zare vs Gable, I'm backing Zare all the way - Gold

I expect 3 Gold, 2 Silver and 2 Bronze from this overall very strong team. Too optimistic? 

Not predictions really but…

65kg - Amouzad Otoguro was and still in the match I’ve been most excited about for the last year+ but I’m more worried about Mamedov tbh. Dunno maybe he was genuinely injured but Otoguro didn’t look his best at the Meiji Cup recently.

70kg - I’ve given up on Yazdani as serious medal threat, just way to inconsistent. I’m just gonna sit back and enjoy watching him wrestle, still love his style when he’s on it.

74kg - I’m going all in on Emami! I know Dake, Sidakov, Kadzi are all killers but I think on the right day Younes could pull of something special. Btw can Sidakov and kadimagomedov both wrestle? I thought only one wrestler per weight can rep AIN?

79kg - Agree I think Nokhodi is favourite but Usmanov looks really good.

86kg - Obviously after what Taylor did in the final last year he’s a big favourite. Remember a video from that Babak guy on insta after worlds where he said basically the Americans took what Tedeev cooked up for naifanov at Tokyo and added some sauce to it. Hassan will have to do something incredible for the win.

97kg - The last sec loss to Snyder is forgivable but after seeing Goleij get done similar in PWL and get run through by that Russian at Asians I can’t see him as reliable anymore. Hope he spam underhooks his way to bronze though.

125kg - Please god just bless us with Gable Zare. That’s all I ask.

10 hours ago, kmrabr said:

Not predictions really but…

65kg - Amouzad Otoguro was and still in the match I’ve been most excited about for the last year+ but I’m more worried about Mamedov tbh. Dunno maybe he was genuinely injured but Otoguro didn’t look his best at the Meiji Cup recently.

70kg - I’ve given up on Yazdani as serious medal threat, just way to inconsistent. I’m just gonna sit back and enjoy watching him wrestle, still love his style when he’s on it.

74kg - I’m going all in on Emami! I know Dake, Sidakov, Kadzi are all killers but I think on the right day Younes could pull of something special. Btw can Sidakov and kadimagomedov both wrestle? I thought only one wrestler per weight can rep AIN?

79kg - Agree I think Nokhodi is favourite but Usmanov looks really good.

86kg - Obviously after what Taylor did in the final last year he’s a big favourite. Remember a video from that Babak guy on insta after worlds where he said basically the Americans took what Tedeev cooked up for naifanov at Tokyo and added some sauce to it. Hassan will have to do something incredible for the win.

97kg - The last sec loss to Snyder is forgivable but after seeing Goleij get done similar in PWL and get run through by that Russian at Asians I can’t see him as reliable anymore. Hope he spam underhooks his way to bronze though.

125kg - Please god just bless us with Gable Zare. That’s all I ask.

Mamedov is also a beast. 65kg is stacked with those 3 

In U20 Worlds multiple wrestlers from AIN wrestled at each weight class, so Sidakov and Kadi can both wrestle at 74kg

Soon we will have Azimi and Babaloo to add to Azarpira and Ghasempour at 92/97, so we don't need to rely on Goleij and Mohammadian much longer. 

5 hours ago, The Genius said:

In U20 Worlds multiple wrestlers from AIN wrestled at each weight class, so Sidakov and Kadi can both wrestle at 74kg

Good news for the neutral fan, not so much for Emami. Wonder what kind of shape Sidakov will be in for worlds, after his injury hasn’t looked his best.

Also at 92 Arash Yoshida won his play off last month so will be at worlds. Would love to see him against Azarpira.

Anybody got any GR predictions?

I’ve got:

Dadmarz - Bronze

Mohsennejad - DNP

Mohammadi - Bronze

MR Geraei - Gold (hopefully)

Sohrabi - DNP

MA Geraei - Bronze

Mohmadi - Bronze

Alizadeh - DNP

Saravi - Bronze

Mirzazadeh - Silver 

Sohrabi could go either way he’s largely untested at 72.

3 hours ago, kkiane said:

Anybody got any GR predictions?

I’ve got:

Dadmarz - Bronze

Mohsennejad - DNP

Mohammadi - Bronze

MR Geraei - Gold (hopefully)

Sohrabi - DNP

MA Geraei - Bronze

Mohmadi - Bronze

Alizadeh - DNP

Saravi - Bronze

Mirzazadeh - Silver 

Sohrabi could go either way he’s largely untested at 72.

I had a brief look at the entries the other day and jeez some of the GR weight classes are STACKED.

Your predictions seem not crazy, except MR Geraei probably won't win Gold. I love Saravi but 97kg is so stacked that a Bronze would be a good result for him

Gable Steveson (USA) no longer listed on the UWW website. Rumours that he will not be competing and Mason Parris (who pinned Zare in the U20 Worlds final a few years ago) will be going instead.

Huge news if true, with potentially significant implications for the team title.

Also rumours about the non-attendance of Sidakov and Sadulaev but these are mired in the messy Russian situation so they are harder to get a read on. We will find out in the next few days.  

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Gable Steveson (USA) no longer listed on the UWW website. Rumours that he will not be competing and Mason Parris (who pinned Zare in the U20 Worlds final a few years ago) will be going instead.

Huge news if true, with potentially significant implications for the team title.

Also rumours about the non-attendance of Sidakov and Sadulaev but these are mired in the messy Russian situation so they are harder to get a read on. We will find out in the next few days.  

It is true 

1 hour ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

It is true 

Yep, I just saw the Flo article confirming it. 

It's a shame because I really wanted to see Zare vs Gable (and still think Zare wins that) but it's a good opportunity for Zare to avenge his fluke loss to Parris and is good for the team title (for Iran). 

23 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Yep, I just saw the Flo article confirming it. 

It's a shame because I really wanted to see Zare vs Gable (and still think Zare wins that) but it's a good opportunity for Zare to avenge his fluke loss to Parris and is good for the team title (for Iran). 

Zare is the favorite now…. He might avenge  it just like Taylor avenged  his FLUKE to Yazdani…

Edited by BrodyHardcastle

14 minutes ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Taylor exposed Yaz last match, expecting a similar score 

Ha, I was just kidding. Agree Taylor is the superior wrestler and probably has Yaz's number. It could still go either way, even the last match was decided on fine margins at certain moments, but it's hard to argue with a 4-1 record. 

19 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Ha, I was just kidding. Agree Taylor is the superior wrestler and probably has Yaz's number. It could still go either way, even the last match was decided on fine margins at certain moments, but it's hard to argue with a 4-1 record. 

I was wondering if I was getting trolled😂😂. Iran the clear favorite for the team title.

58 minutes ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

I was wondering if I was getting trolled😂😂. Iran the clear favorite for the team title.

I think it will be very close. The US still has such a strong team, though a bit weaker without JB, Cox and Gable. Iran is hopeless at 57kg and 70kg but can medal at every other weight class IMO (not to say that we will). 

The previous core of your team of JB-Dake-DT-Cox-Snyder is starting to age and fall apart but what a group that was. 

I just hope Iran avoids a draw against Israel, that would really mess up our team title chances. 

Iran sent 6 wrestlers to the Dmitry Korkin Memorial games in Russia over the past few days. AH Firouzpour and Masoumi won Gold while Babaloo (2023 U20 Gold) did well to win Silver

65kg: Ebrahim Elahi (2022 U17 Gold, 2023 Asian U20 Silver) - lost 3-1 to Artur Badtiev in the SF and won Bronze

70kg: Mohammad Bakhshi - 5th 

86kg: Ali Mansouri - pinned Roman Chitadze (BLR) 9-8, teched a few guys and defeated Zainidinov 10-2 for Bronze (not sure who he lost to, either Naifonov or Shavaev)

92kg: Amir Hossein Firouzpour (2022 U20 and U23 Gold) - defeated Alan Bagaev 9-2 in the SF then teched Nurgun Sergin 12-2 in the final to win Gold

97kg: Abolfazl Babaloo (2023 U20 Gold) - lost 6-3 to Shamil Musaev and won Silver

125kg: Amir Reza Masoumi (2021 U17 Gold, 2022 U20 and U23 Gold, 2023 U20 Gold) - teched Zelimkhan Khizriev 14-4 in the SF then defeated Anzor Khizriev 8-3 in the final to win Gold

Masoumi is very good and only 18 years old! He's also a future superstar just by virtue of his antics and personality, lol.