Iran wrestling news

Arami ended up losing. In the U20 Asian Champs Greco in the first five weights we got 2 golds and 3 bronzes. Golds were Choubani at 87 and Hedayati at 130. Both teched their opponents in their finals.

Edited by kkiane

Any news on our team for World Cadets (31 July - 6 August)?

If we don't see Khateri, Khalili, Hosseini, Rahmani and Noory I will riot. We should win the team title with those 5 alone. 

Khateri (and maybe Rahmani) is a superstar in the making. Another Amouzad.

Edited by The Genius

I’m unsure if this is entirely accurate but according to the UWW site the FS team for the cadet world champs consists of:

45- Khateri

48- Sayar

51- Navazi

55- Teymorizad

60- Pirdayeh 

65- Khalili

71- Hosseini

80- Rahmani

92- Noory

110- Mohammadnejad

19 hours ago, kkiane said:

I’m unsure if this is entirely accurate but according to the UWW site the FS team for the cadet world champs consists of:

45- Khateri

48- Sayar

51- Navazi

55- Teymorizad

60- Pirdayeh 

65- Khalili

71- Hosseini

80- Rahmani

92- Noory

110- Mohammadnejad

Amazing. A fantastic team. Team title is inevitable. Very excited to see our Asian champs against international competition. 

On 7/24/2023 at 12:08 PM, kkiane said:

The U17 FS team has been released by UWW and it is exactly the same as the one I already sent.

Interesting that the UWW article seems to make Iran favourites in GR but the USA and India favourites for FS... I think they are in for a surprise. 

Monday will see Greco-Roman action and it will be on Iran to lose the team title which they won in Rome, Italy last year.

The US, team title winners in 2022, will look to continue its success in World Championships. It will be challenged by India, winners of 2021. Azerbaijan, which almost won the tittle last year, will be in focus as well along with Iran and AIN teams.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:15 PM, The Genius said:

Interesting that the UWW article seems to make Iran favourites in GR but the USA and India favourites for FS... I think they are in for a surprise. 

Monday will see Greco-Roman action and it will be on Iran to lose the team title which they won in Rome, Italy last year.

The US, team title winners in 2022, will look to continue its success in World Championships. It will be challenged by India, winners of 2021. Azerbaijan, which almost won the tittle last year, will be in focus as well along with Iran and AIN teams.

The Greco team has changed, 45 has been replaced, 65 has moved up to 71 replacing the silver medalist at 71 and a new guy is there at 65. 80 has been replaced. Everyone else is the same I think.

Strange day at the U17 Greco world champs. Two going for bronze, one going for gold and one in repechage for tomorrow, so there’s a chance at 4 medals from 5 weights. Our one wrestler going for gold is the one I thought was the worst wrestler in the whole team, Balootaki at 48, but he performed quite well today touch wood. Abdevali at 110, related to the great Abdevali, lost to the reigning world champ but I think some of the ref calls were suspect. Our 65 is just a bit bad. The 80 lost to a really really good Japanese guy, and the biggest shock and disappointment, Gholami, world silver medalist loses to an American in the semis in the final moment.

Abbasi at 80kg is in the repechage and Israeli is in his half of the repechage too, so that could be an issue (unlikely because the Israeli has to beat the Turk first). 

Poor day 1 for GR. Days 2-3 will need to be a lot better if we want to retain the GR team title. 

17 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Abbasi at 80kg is in the repechage and Israeli is in his half of the repechage too, so that could be an issue (unlikely because the Israeli has to beat the Turk first). 

Poor day 1 for GR. Days 2-3 will need to be a lot better if we want to retain the GR team title. 

Hopes lie on mini Mohmadi and the 92

Edited by kkiane

18 hours ago, The Genius said:

So an Israeli is there. Okay. Since it burns your ass is good news.

Day 1 GR wrestlers:

48kg: Balootaki beat Uzbek 4-0 in the final and won GOLD (25 points)

55kg: Gholami lost the Bronze medal match 11-2 (10 points)

65kg: Saeidi lost in first round and his opponent lost the next round. Horrible performance (0 points)

80kg: Abbasi lost the Bronze medal match 2-1 (1*-1 before a failed challenge) to a Russian (10 points)

110kg: Abdevali won his Bronze medal match 2-0 against Egypt and wins BRONZE. He only lost a close match against the European (and now World) Cadet champ, so he's promising, although we are already strong in this weight class (15 points)

Day 1 wrestlers win 1G and 1B, total = 60 points

Day 2 GR wrestlers:

45kg: Amiri lost in the SF 5-1 to a really good Azerbaijani, will wrestle for Bronze 

51kg: Mohmadi was pinned by a fantastic Armenian (best GR wrestler so far, pinning everyone), caught in headlock in first 10 seconds then hold in/near pin position for over 60 seconds, fair call. He is in the repechage and has a chance for Bronze

60kg: Dezfoolinezhad lost a close match to Russia in the QF who lost in the SF, so he is out. But he won two matches, so he will win some points (2-6 points)

71kg: Mohammadian went 3-0 and will wrestle Greece (who beat the European champ) for Gold 

92kg: Asghari (Asian champ) lost in QF to Georgian but is in the repechage and has a chance for Bronze

4 guys are still in, best case scenario for the day 2 group is 1 Gold + 3 Bronze. No one was really amazing. This group of GR cadets is not very good (probably top 3 team title).