Triple Threat Rivalry

blueandgold

For those of you who witnessed it, could someone recount the seemingly three-way rivalry between Ty Mills, Asa Garcia, and Cayden Rooks? I had just mentioned in another thread that I couldn't remember if Ty was nationally-ranked or not his sophomore year due to the craziness of that weight. I'm pretty sure one of them knocked off Cayden at semi-state that year and he was ranked first with no losses. Absolutely wild. And to know they all met again in 2018 at 126 vying for the title, I was a firm believer that Ty would finally get his one and be called champion.

Edited by blueandgold

You got it mostly right.  

Im more fuzzy on where Mills fits into some of this but the other two I mostly recall.  Garcia took out Rooks their freshman year then Mills best Garcia in semi-state finals.  Asa then went on great state run.  

Different weights as sophomores with Rooks getting a title. 

Rooks got some payback his Junior year with a win over Garcia in the Semi-State finals. Before Garcia got him back in the state finals. Mills ends up 3rd in that one. 

Different weights again as seniors with both getting a title.  

Edited by MattM

12 minutes ago, MattM said:

You got it mostly right.  

Im more fuzzy on where Mills fits into some of this but the other two I mostly recall.  Garcia took out Rooks their freshman year then Mills best Garcia in semi-state finals.  Asa then went on great state run.  

Different weights as sophomores with Rooks getting a title. 

Rooks got some payback his Junior year with a win over Garcia in the Semi-State finals. Before Garcia got him back in the state finals. Mills ends up 3rd in that one. 

Different weights again as seniors with both getting a title.  

Thank you for this. Where Mills fills in is it seemed like he always beat Asa who would beat Cayden who would beat Mills. Just constant shifts in momentum.

2018- Ty was ranked Nationally #16? his Senior year, Asa was ranked on and off at #20 . Again that year Asa didn’t win Sectionals, Regional both loses to Mills that year,  lost 2-1 Cayden at Semi State that year. Cayden beat Ty in the Semis at Semi State for Championship . Asa avenged his losses on both Ty & Cayden at State . Beat Ty 8-1 in the Semis , and then beat Cayden (3-2) in the finals . I will say that bracket was loaded . Might go down as the most State Champs & Placers in one bracket through out their HS careers . 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Scores

1 minute ago, TeamGarcia said:

2018- Ty was ranked Nationally #16? his Senior year, Asa was ranked on and off at #20 . Again that year Asa didn’t win Sectionals, Regional both loses to Mills that year,  lost 2-1 Cayden at Semi State that year. Cayden beat Ty in the Semis at Semi State for Championship . Asa avenged his losses on both Ty & Cayden at State . Majored Ty in the Semis , and then beat Cayden (3-1) in the finals . I will say that bracket was loaded . Might go down as the most State Champs & Placers in one bracket through out their HS careers . 

I think 2009 103 might actually take that honor. That bracket had seven state champions if I remember correctly, but certainly crazy either way. I didn’t know who would win that weight. For Asa to have been able to catch fire at Bankers each year is absolutely insane. It’s crazy to think he was one point away from being a four-time champion.

Asa wrestled Ty so much through over the years.  Academy Practices, duals, County, Conference, Team State, Sectionals, Regionals, Semi State, State . They know each other very well . More than half his loses is to Ty. 

2018- Cayden only beat Asa 1x through their HS careers 2018 Semi State . (4-1) ? Head 2 Head 

2017- Alec only beat Asa 1x through their HS careers at State Finals Semi Finals. (3-1) ? Head 2 Head 

The best thing is that all of these kids are first class men.

I actually saw Ty today and had a good conversation with him. He is on pace to graduate from Duke university this year. Hes going to graduate from that prestigious school and has been able to be a D1 wrestler the whole time. That is no small feat. That kid is going to a very successful in anything he decides to do. I can just feel it when I speak with him. 

I look forward to seeing what my nephew Asa does at Rutgers. I think that he will start next year on. 

The whole Rooks family is first class. That whole Columbus East group were always a special group from elementary school on. They allowed my son to do summer stuff with them and will always be appreciated.

Big fan of all three, I wish them nothing but the best. 

@blueandgold bringing great takes to the board and starting great topics. Bravo my friend. 

Edited by Mattyb

42 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

The best thing is that all of these kids are first class men.

I actually saw Ty today and had a good conversation with him. He is on pace to graduate from Duke university this year. Hes going to graduate from that prestigious school and has been able to be a D1 wrestler the whole time. That is no small feat. That kid is going to a very successful in anything he decides to do. I can just feel it when I speak with him. 

I look forward to seeing what my nephew Asa does at Rutgers. I think that he will start next year on. 

The whole Rooks family is first class. That whole Columbus East group were always a special group from elementary school on. They allowed my son to do summer stuff with them and will always be appreciated.

Big fan of all three, I wish them nothing but the best. 

@blueandgold bringing great takes to the board and starting great topics. Bravo my friend. 

Thanks, man. I just enjoy talking about wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.