FS/GK State

UncleJimmy

Maybe HWAY will capitalize on ISWA huge blunder and do a freestyle state this year.

Or maybe the northern area will find a way to host some more qualify event in order to boost interest in participating. As I mentioned before something has had to occur in the area over the last several years (like lack participation) to cause many clubs/schools to cancel or stop hosting events all together. If more events had remained available (over multiple dates and proximity wise) in the area Im guessing their would be far less backlash towards the qualification process.

Or maybe the northern area will find a way to host some more qualify event in order to boost interest in participating. As I mentioned before something has had to occur in the area over the last several years (like lack participation) to cause many clubs/schools to cancel or stop hosting events all together. If more events had remained available (over multiple dates and proximity wise) in the area Im guessing their would be far less backlash towards the qualification process.

So applying this logic to a real world business issue...RadioShack should have opened more stores at a time their customers were dwindling and they would not have gone bankrupt! Got it....

So applying this logic to a real world business issue...RadioShack should have opened more stores at a time their customers were dwindling and they would not have gone bankrupt! Got it....

Well that would work if they were the same issue. RadioShack as a buisness at this point has very few customers interested in their product due to past decisions of the company. As a result they have few people frequenting their stores. This was causing people to search father and longer if they want a product from them.

If you want to compare that to the Freestlye/greco programs in the north thats fine. But based on all the complains and length of the thread it sure sounds like there is still much interest in the wrestling product (unlike RadioShack). So the problem isn't interest as much as product availability. It sounds as if the product has become harder to find based past decisions of either the customers (participants) or the buisness (schools/clubs). So finding ways in make a quality product available may help fill the needs of the customers. However, if you are saying instead that their is no interest (like RadioShack) then there is no need for the complaints since the people do not intend to use the product even if it was available.

So is there no interst in the events and thus it doesn't matter? Or is there just lack of quality available options for those interested? My suggestion is that if the interest is truly there then maybe it's time to try providing more events to capitalize on that and ensure they are done in a quality way in order to attract repeat customers.

Edited by MattM

My issue is that we are forced to wrestle in 'local' freestyle tournaments where we would only get 3 matches at best.  We love spending our time and money at wrestling events, but they have to be worth it.  Instead of wasting our time qualifing my kid could get 5-8 matches a weekend against some of the best kids in the country at National tournaments.

There should be some type of wild card for state or atleast allow placers from the year before get an automatic bid.  Or kids that place at folkstyle state get a bid for freestyle. The state tournament is supposed to be tough, but by doing it this way the tournament will be missing all the studs that did (USA nationals, Dominate the Dells, Tour of America Nationals, TN Duals, Heartland Duals, Ohio TOC, Viper Pit Duals, Middle School Duals just to name a few). 

I did a very quick and unscientific count of the ISWA Board and all it's Directors (not counting the office staff who are employees). 32 Board positions and 16 have 317 area codes. One of those lives in Ft Wayne. So now you are down to less than half the ISWA Board living in the Indy area.

My 'unscientific' count shows 22 of 32 board members live within an hour of Indy. Actual Geography is a little more important than gerrymandered area code.

Another scenario is one in which few of us find ourselves in - finding matches for our kids...

Local tournaments do not have competitors in my son's age/weight class, heck, Liberty Nationals only has 1! So, if I pay Franklin and Center Grove's entry fees (or any in northern Indiana tournament) and no other wrestler is near his weight, would I still need to make the hike to weigh-ins in order to qualify for ISWA FS/GK state?

Some others on this thread have articulated the concerns about competing priorities better than I could, so I won't echo their sentiments. Mattyb, please consider changing the rule to participation in one (1) event prior to ISWA as a qualifier.

BTW - I emailed two ISWA regional reps about this after the September 2014 annual meeting and didn't get a reply... 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.