Wrestling/ Cross Country Kids

I ran cross-country 3 seasons between middle school and high school combined, and my conditioning was definitely top-notch the years I gutted out cross-country (I didn't love it, so I "settled" for wrestling conditioning the other years...which was light compared to in-season training, as Fabio suggested).

My mantra is don't do a sport just to stay in shape.  Do it because you love it.  Saying that, I know that there are a few SW IN wrestlers on cross country teams.  They're not averaging 5:06 for 3 miles like the SIAC champ did this past weekend I can tell you that!

My mantra is don't do a sport just to stay in shape.  Do it because you love it.  Saying that, I know that there are a few SW IN wrestlers on cross country teams.  They're not averaging 5:06 for 3 miles like the SIAC champ did this past weekend I can tell you that!

So because some are doing it just to stay in shape and aren't as good as the conference champion you think they shouldn't run? Should they just run on there own time without anyone to help motivate them?  Most people don't enjoy recreationally running 10 miles. Having a team and/or coach is what helps push them to run harder and in turn be in excellent shape by the time wrestling season comes along. Usually the most in shape wrestlers are the ones who run and workout the hardest...usually.

Point well taken, Troll.  For kids that are not self-motivated or who do not have a pre-season wrestling program I do see where it can be a benefit.  We're lucky down here in SW IN that there are good pre-season options where wrestlers improve as a wrestler with great technique, drilling, cardio and live wrestling in a very solid wrestling room.  2 times a week in Aug, 3 times a week in Sept plus weights 3 times a week, and 4 times a week in Oct plus weights 3 times a week. 

Point well taken, Troll.  For kids that are not self-motivated or who do not have a pre-season wrestling program I do see where it can be a benefit.  We're lucky down here in SW IN that there are good pre-season options where wrestlers improve as a wrestler with great technique, drilling, cardio and live wrestling in a very solid wrestling room.  2 times a week in Aug, 3 times a week in Sept plus weights 3 times a week, and 4 times a week in Oct plus weights 3 times a week.

That I can agree with.  It is good for them to get that early technique in prior to the season, and we all know wrestling endurance and strength differs from running endurance and strength.

While there are numerous historical examples of successful wrestlers who also ran cross country, here is one from the current season:

Lake Central's Kameron Konopasek is the lead runner on a top-15-caliber team in the state. He is a fast-improving wrestler at the start of the lineup:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/30048802-556/wrestling-with-the-mindset.html#.VDVyn_ldWSo

I like seeing athletes playing multiple sports, in some schools this has to happen and a benefit is that it helps them be in shape for there primary sport while being a supporter of other sports in their school as well. We have several wrestlers on the Cross Country Team at Boonville. Josh Vandiver was third in the Big 8 Conference this last weekend and was all conference.

While I do believe that Cross Country helps kids get into better shape, the mental grind of running cross country is very underrated.  The competition and grind of that 3.1 miles really begins to prepare an individual for wrestling, as long as they take it serious.

I would run with the Cross Country team every day, but I was not on the team. The coaches kept trying to make me join because my uncle was one of the best in school history and they saw that I could compete with some of their better runners, but I just decided it was not really worth it saying I was just doing it for wrestling shape.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.