Bumping up to HWT

Bigdac

I wouldn't say that it is because it is "wide open". If anything, it is kids trying to find a spot on varsity or teams needing to fill a spot to have a full lineup.

Agree.  It definitely helps skew some of the FF data.  Many schools can find a JV kids that can eat enough to fill in a upper weight void, but many times it doesn't work the same for the light weight classes around 106 and 113.

I had to eat/drink before weigh-ins so i weighed above 152 so I could wrestle 171. It was a nightmare Jr. year for me and an absolute confidence crusher. The difference between being a strong 152 lb and a strong 152lber wrestling 171 was a lot more difficult than I had ever imagined. The hardest part for me was sprawling on a shot..I couldn't believe how easily I was able to be sucked in at times. Losing to guys you beat the year before because of no other reason than they grew into the next weight and I didn't but I had some good wrestlers in front of me was very humbling. But you do what you can for the team.. I had a sub .500 record then placed top 6 in ISWA state at 154..Guys would ask me why would you cut for freestyle? I'm like I didn'..I am wrestling my weight now. I got pinned a lot..I mean a lot..20 lbs makes a bigger difference than I thought it would so I was always amazed at the guys like Damon Hummel who weighed like 200 and launched GOOD not slouches but GOOD 260 or 270lbers.

Hummel was on my jr olympic team.  He was fun to watch.  He would have one state if there was a 220 back then.  It jumped from 189 to HWT.  How do you think he would have competed against our 220s this year?

Hummel was in my conference, so I got to see him wrestle a few times a year.  I always said there should be a 220, and if there was he would have won a couple titles imo.  That said, he wouldn't be throwing Gelen, and for that reason I give the nod to Gelen.  He takes all others though. I also think Gelen could go up to HWT & win last 2 years.

Hummel was in my conference, so I got to see him wrestle a few times a year.  I always said there should be a 220, and if there was he would have won a couple titles imo.  That said, he wouldn't be throwing Gelen, and for that reason I give the nod to Gelen.  He takes all others though. I also think Gelen could go up to HWT & win last 2 years.

I think Gelen wrestled Donte in the offseason before Donte's senior year and I think Donte won that one. Donte was very tough to score on.

I hate the word Epic but Hummel v.s. Gelen might just be that..and I don't know who would win..but I also wouldn't bet that Hummel couldn't toss Gelen..not saying he would but Hummel  was explosive. I think he tossed Andy Schnieder(?)hwt champ once then did a power laydown 2nd time. I could be misremembering 20 yrs..geez I'm old.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.