Lets not ruin the gift

Salinas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this when you originally asked the question.  The answer is, no, it is not proportional.  The rate of success for entrants is progressively much lower as you go down the classes.  Not sure if you saw this:

Total sectional participants per class (not including a handful of participants with less than 10 matches wrestled and not placing top 6 at sectional):

3A: 1301 (21% of these advance to 2nd round of semi-state)

104 schools; 12.5 per lineup

2A: 1160 (12% of these to 2nd round of semi-state)

104 schools; 11.2 per lineup

1A: 945  (4% of these to 2nd round of semi-state)

105 schools; 9.0 per lineup

(late addition of Madison Shawe)

if thats the case why are there not more small school state placers? or at least a proportional amount compared to qualifiers.

wow. I guess we need to do a study on this. How many kids, and how many placers, and really look into the future of indiana wrestling as a class sport......... because when wrestlers are the same size and same age(roughly) its still not fair, so lets make it easier for some kids to accomplish something, that will not really mean anything anyhow. How about this..........work harder and do the best you can! And if dont reach your goals, well...... be happy with what you got and make the most of it. Thats life. I appreciate everyones stance, but no number, no arguement will ever lead me to believe that class wrestling in indiana is going to benefit anyone. especially the athletes. If anything, it will produce less competitiveness in our wrestlers, and will reward more athletes for accomplishing less. I say no way!

wow. I guess we need to do a study on this. How many kids, and how many placers, and really look into the future of indiana wrestling as a class sport......... because when wrestlers are the same size and same age(roughly) its still not fair, so lets make it easier for some kids to accomplish something, that will not really mean anything anyhow. How about this..........work harder and do the best you can! And if dont reach your goals, well...... be happy with what you got and make the most of it. Thats life. I appreciate everyones stance, but no number, no arguement will ever lead me to believe that class wrestling in indiana is going to benefit anyone. especially the athletes. If anything, it will produce less competitiveness in our wrestlers, and will reward more athletes for accomplishing less. I say no way!

I'm not sure what we will do with out the backing of Bonehead63. Pack it up folks....

i believe there probably is  i dont have the ability to get school enrollment numbers but id bet they are really close to proportional

MadtownX-  Didnt you say it wasnt about the numbers?    Might be dangerous to mess with the numbers again.  Ill be glad review them again and point out inconsistencies.

MadtownX-  Didnt you say it wasnt about the numbers?    Might be dangerous to mess with the numbers again.  Ill be glad review them again and point out inconsistencies.

here it is   

class.........pop%........state qualifier %......students per state qualifer

3A............62.75.........64.28.......................1311.14

2A............24.59.........26.78.......................1233.48

1A............12.65.........8.92.........................1903.45

so graphing out a single year class 2A gets the nod here  but i thought the big schools somehow had an advantage???

here it is   

class.........pop%........state qualifier %......students per state qualifer

3A............62.75.........64.28.......................1311.14

2A............24.59.........26.78.......................1233.48

1A............12.65.........8.92.........................1903.45

so graphing out a single year class 2A gets the nod here  but i thought the big schools somehow had an advantage???

According to Maligned: state qualifier numbers are below,  and your data is a little off. But like you said,"its not all about the numbers and you hate it when people change the numbers for their own agenda."  But here's the

State qualifiers

3A= 152 or 68%

2a =60 or 27%

1A= 12 or 5%

Ill go with your population numbers 

1A has 12% of the population but only gets 5% of the qualifiers if you use the right numbers.  Dang, looks like your mathematical argument fails again.

According to Maligned: state qualifier numbers are below,  and your data is a little off. But like you said,"its not all about the numbers and you hate it when people change the numbers for their own agenda."  But here's the

State qualifiers

3A= 152 or 68%

2a =60 or 27%

1A= 12 or 5%

1A has 12% of the population but only gets 5% of the qualifiers if you use the right numbers.  Dang, looks like your mathematical argument fails again.

He includes Mater Dei with 1A, thats where his numbers are coming from.

State qualifiers

3A= 152 or 68%

2a =60 or 27%

1A= 12 or 5%

That's one year. Has it been similar in other years?

What if we use 2 classes instead of 3?

Each team only gets to enter 14 at sectional

Using 14 per team assumes that a first year wrestler who is only in the line-up because they pulled him out of the hallways to fill a spot is equal to a wrestler who had to beat out 4-5 other wrestlers for his spot.

14 per weight is not an accurate starting point.  But neither is using total school enrollment.  The best numbers to start with would be total team members on the roster.  That would account for successful small schools and struggling big schools.  Unfortunately that is difficult to figure out for 312 schools, unless it is something that can be found on the NWCA body fat testing database.

FYI - I am slightly pro-class.  To me, it has nothing to do with these statistics that can be manipulated to whatever result you want.  It is about increasing our national recruiting from D2, D3, & NAIA colleges.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.