There is still honor in this sport... Nick Smith

jchas

Nick got an escape.  Nick was out of bounds.  Jack took a shoot from inbounds to out a bounds.

They clashed heads.  Ref. called Jack for unnecessary roughness.

Just curious what was the score in the match when this happened? I have no clue about anything surrounding this situation, but I do think that the point in the match that these type of things happen does make a difference.  I used to think these issues where pretty cut and dry,  but in reality i think that they can be tough on both sides.  Also did the LN kid keep wrestling?  Or did they forfeit?  Again I have no clue about anything that went on in this match, just more curious than anything.

Score was 12-1 with about 30 seconds left.  He did finish but I have seen others in the same situation.

Take the win.  I am grateful we were wresting against these guys this tme.

Good to read this, glad these coaches decided not to take your sons win/ shot at the podium away, sounds like an accident & non intentional unnecessary roughness call

Did something dishonorable occur?

An illegal slam was called in the 120 ticket round match between Torres/Hartman.  Hartman was unable to continue and looked to suffer a concussion. There was 10 seconds left in the match and Torres was winning.  Now, I personally missed the actual move in question, I seeked  several opinions on the move and there was some debate on whether the the slam should have been called in the first place.  It is unfortuanate situation to have a match of this magnitude decided in the manner it was.  Hartman never wrestled the rest of the day and Defaulted the rest of the tournament, so I assume that he was not medically cleared to wrestle.  I thought with the amount of time left the outcome of the match was going to be a Torres win. Would I call it dishonarable, I think that is harsh because Hartman was totally within the rules to be awarded the win after the illegal slam occured.  Do I think it could have been handled differently, absolutely!

An illegal slam was called in the 120 ticket round match between Torres/Hartman.  Hartman was unable to continue and looked to suffer a concussion. There was 10 seconds left in the match and Torres was winning.  Now, I personally missed the actual move in question, I seeked  several opinions on the move and there was some debate on whether the the slam should have been called in the first place.  It is unfortuanate situation to have a match of this magnitude decided in the manner it was.  Hartman never wrestled the rest of the day and Defaulted the rest of the tournament, so I assume that he was not medically cleared to wrestle.  I thought with the amount of time left the outcome of the match was going to be a Torres win. Would I call it dishonarable, I think that is harsh because Hartman was totally within the rules to be awarded the win after the illegal slam occured.  Do I think it could have been handled differently, absolutely!

That is a horrible way to end a season, but I don't think anybody wanted it to turn out that way. I saw the match and thought that the slam was enough to be called illegal. And I think that Hartman was clearly dazed pretty badly from it.

I heard that the ref and trainer made the call to end the match, not the wrestler or coach.

What really disturbed me was the 1,000+ adults that booed a child. We have to remember that these athletes, as great as they are, are still kids. And that stands for any match or any situation. Adults should not be booing children.

Who impressed me the most in the entire situation was Gaige Torres. He didn't throw a fit. He took off his ankle band and shook his opponent's hand and walked off. That young man handled the whole deal with a great amount of class. Kudos to him. Looking forward to seeing him wrestle next season with a vengeance!

What really disturbed me was the 1,000+ adults that booed a child. We have to remember that these athletes, as great as they are, are still kids. And that stands for any match or any situation. Adults should not be booing children.

A whole other thread  could be started on this, which it has before.  I agree the booing if aimed at the wrestler is distasteful. However I again think it was more of the situation and official being booed rather than the kid.

That is a horrible way to end a season, but I don't think anybody wanted it to turn out that way. I saw the match and thought that the slam was enough to be called illegal. And I think that Hartman was clearly dazed pretty badly from it.

I heard that the ref and trainer made the call to end the match, not the wrestler or coach.

Who impressed me the most in the entire situation was Gaige Torres. He didn't throw a fit. He took off his ankle band and shook his opponent's hand and walked off. That young man handled the whole deal with a great amount of class. Kudos to him. Looking forward to seeing him wrestle next season with a vengeance!

So you don't think that the trainers would have let him step on the line for 1 second, the ref blow the whistle, then the South bend coach throw in the towel and default with 8 seconds left in the match?There is no way the trainers would stop this situation from happening. I've seen it be done.

Also, fans booing a situation is not always "picking" on a high school  kid. My heart hurts when I see these things.

So you don't think that the trainers would have let him step on the line for 1 second, the ref blow the whistle, then the South bend coach throw in the towel and default with 8 seconds left in the match?There is no way the trainers would stop this situation from happening. I've seen it be done.

Also, fans booing a situation is not always "picking" on a high school  kid. My heart hurts when I see these things.

Like I said, that's just what I heard. I don't know what their regulations on that are. And it seemed like the booing was aimed at the kid. Just my opinion. Sorry for getting this topic off course. Not trying to open up a can of worms.

Great job to LN and their wrestler for toughing it out!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.