Team State Who Wins and Why

M109R

I know I'm biased but I'm going with Penn , based off the Individual rankings. If it's not Penn it should be either PM or MD .

Total # Ranked          Top 10  Ranked

Penn------------------10 ------------------------8

PM----------------------9-------------------------7

MD---------------------10------------------------4

Perry because of bonus points I would also add franklin in the mix with 7 ranked wreslters and both of the Reese right out side the top 16

The same could be said about About wrestlers from Penn , Pm and MD that are not ranked . I just think these 3 are a level above everyone else . With Franklin , Cathedral and Warren just below . But hey I've been wrong before .

Which guys I do the spread sheet. For penn 145 is behind sebahar. Maybe top 20 for sebahar, 132 and 120 are not and 285 was hurt at the harvest classic. Mater deis 195 and 220 have had some solid wins their heavy was also injuried against union county. Perry is closer with Tonte@170 at 17, Hawkins at 106 was ranked but dropped after his loss to Avon. Then you have Wilson coming back who ranked preseason and Corman was ranked before the last 2 rankings.

Franklin

106 Reese

113 smith(top 5)

120 Wilkerson

126 Reese

138 Lykins(top 5)

145 van horm(has been at 52)

170 Stevenson(top 5)

182 petole(14)

195 burnside

220 Tolley top 5

285 York(10)

All wrestlers ranked or have been ranked they are pretty tough. Also cathedral has 6 wrestlers(if Stewart is healthy) who score bonus points against almost every team. The depth of team state is so good

Which guys I do the spread sheet. For penn 145 is behind sebahar. Maybe top 20 for sebahar, 132 and 120 are not and 285 was hurt at the harvest classic. Mater deis 195 and 220 have had some solid wins their heavy was also injuried against union county. Perry is closer with Tonte@170 at 17, Hawkins at 106 was ranked but dropped after his loss to Avon. Then you have Wilson coming back who ranked preseason and Corman was ranked before the last 2 rankings.

Franklin

106 Reese

113 smith(top 5)

120 Wilkerson

126 Reese

138 Lykins(top 5)

145 van horm(has been at 52)

170 Stevenson(top 5)

182 petole(14)

195 burnside

220 Tolley top 5

285 York(10)

All wrestlers ranked or have been ranked they are pretty tough. Also cathedral has 6 wrestlers(if Stewart is healthy) who score bonus points against almost every team. The depth of team state is so good

As stated Before , I believe Stohler will be Penn's 285 like he was at the Elkhart Memorial Invite. Kyle Trieber was Penn's 220 , was looking very good until he Injury defaulted . Had a very good match going with , I believe #15 Wickery  from Northridge when he was injured .  I believe Beam , Varner and Trieber are close to the top 20 .

Perry will be lucky to get 3rd.  More likely for them is 4th or 5th.  They have 2 elite wrestlers in James and Lecount.  Then they have 3 pretty good wrestlers in Elliot, Cottey, and Kenny.  The rest of their line up is very vulnerable when facing this kind of competition.  Does anyone really believe they put kids out there at 06, 38, 52, 60, 70, 82, 95, 220,  and Hwt that will be favorites in most matchups at this event?  Maybe I will be proven wrong?  Doubt it.

I'll take Catherdral, Penn, EMD, and Franklin as my top 4 in any order depending on brackets and if they are at full strength.  Penn and EMD can probably still win even if they lose 1 or 2 guys to injury where Catherdral and Franklin must be at full strength to have a shot.

Perry will be lucky to get 3rd.  More likely for them is 4th or 5th.  They have 2 elite wrestlers in James and Lecount.  Then they have 3 pretty good wrestlers in Elliot, Cottey, and Kenny.  The rest of their line up is very vulnerable when facing this kind of competition.  Does anyone really believe they put kids out there at 06, 38, 52, 60, 70, 82, 95, 220,  and Hwt that will be favorites in most matchups at this event?  Maybe I will be proven wrong?  Doubt it.

I'll take Catherdral, Penn, EMD, and Franklin as my top 4 in any order depending on brackets and if they are at full strength.  Penn and EMD can probably still win even if they lose 1 or 2 guys to injury where Catherdral and Franklin must be at full strength to have a shot.

91-

I think you may be pretty close. The problem that perry, and a number of other schools have, is the first round draw.  The wrong draw and you are competing for fifth. I think the only school immune to a first round knockout is penn.

Beyond that, it's all about match-ups. What a tournament!  Congratulations to the ihswca for sponsoring a superior tournament.

Perry didn't use their 06, 60, 70, or Hwt last yr to help them win anything.  I believe 1 or 2 weak links could be enough to keep a team from winning THIS tournament let alone 4 weak links!

But they did win an AAU National Title with those 4 weak links. But this state is going to be a good one.

Perry didn't use their 06, 60, 70, or Hwt last yr to help them win anything.  I believe 1 or 2 weak links could be enough to keep a team from winning THIS tournament let alone 4 weak links!

Which team is returning all 14 starters and has no holes? Either way it's your opinion it should be a great day of wrestling. Good luck to your team bud.

Lol I can't believe you are calling Hawkins or Tonte a weak link. Pretty sure Hawkins wrestled hildebrandt to a one or two point match last year. And Tristen Tonte has been wrestling since he could walk. I will take him as a "weak link" any day of the week. A freshman at 170 who is 15-1 with his only loss coming to Fargo All-American Lydy.

Not trying to offend you Zach or any of the Perry people.  I'm just saying this tournament is a step up in competition.  Your 106lb Hawkins has NO chance against Perry's 3 most dangerous opponents in MD, Penn, and Cath and will have a battle with Franklin's 106.  Not taking anything away from him as he is a decent wrestler.  He just can't help them win a team championship.  As far as Tonte goes, kind of the same problem.  Yes he is good, but he is a Freshman and I just don't think he is at the level of the competition in this tournament.  No doubt in my mind, in a year or two he will be a stud.  Just not on Jan 4th at this tournament.  Your 160lb and 220lb got 5th at Marion County last week.  I'm sure you will let me know when and if I am proved to be wrong.  Can't wait for the 4th

ill take new prairie in 2A over yorktown, plus they are getting freestone 120, and irbarra 220 back in time ........as for why i watched them this weekend beat up east noble, chesterton,lake central,laporte,munster......and not sure but i dont think yorktown has wrestled that tough of a schedule...np 18-0 and they have beat every team pretty good.... just my opinion, should b great match up hopefully they meet in finals and not first round , no telling with these rankings

I guess when you are on top of the mountain, people want to knock you off.  No disrespect to Perry as they have the program others want. It sounds like you understand this Zach and should take it as a compliment. I am simply trying to talk about the reasons why I think there may be a changing of the guard. If Perry pulls this tourney out, then by all means they will be the champion of champions. I however don't see it happening. Too many tough teams to get through!

I guess when you are on top of the mountain, people want to knock you off.  No disrespect to Perry as they have the program others want. It sounds like you understand this Zach and should take it as a compliment. I am simply trying to talk about the reasons why I think there may be a changing of the guard. If Perry pulls this tourney out, then by all means they will be the champion of champions. I however don't see it happening. Too many tough teams to get through!

Someone has to get through them, right? 

Catherdral 3 studs?  That is pretty funny.  Bernard, Cosaro, Rypel, Harvey, Bailey, Stewert.  There are 6 studs I would take to battle with me any day.  Then throw in their 2nd tier guys in Turner, Larson, Devine, Guhl.  Not bad if you ask me.

Guhl just got beat 12-0 by a kid our jv kid beat last weekend and from the sound of it Stewart is hurt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.