SIAC Favorites and Sleepers

Say What?

• 2 weeks later...

The SIAC had a handful of kids at the IHPO this weekend and brought home two titles.  Ferguson and Kelley both looked great against some very good competition.  In addition to Kelley, Central had Kemper and AJ Dixon there, Reitz had Ferguson, Davis and Todrank and Mater Dei had Seng and Pierre.  I think each of them had at least a couple of wins, but I don't know how many for sure.  It would have been nice to have a few more from the area up there, but I'm sure most play football too.  Anyway, I think the SIAC could have at least a couple of State Champions this year and several very high on the podium. 

The SIAC had a handful of kids at the IHPO this weekend and brought home two titles.  Ferguson and Kelley both looked great against some very good competition.  In addition to Kelley, Central had Kemper and AJ Dixon there, Reitz had Ferguson, Davis and Todrank and Mater Dei had Seng and Pierre.  I think each of them had at least a couple of wins, but I don't know how many for sure.  It would have been nice to have a few more from the area up there, but I'm sure most play football too.  Anyway, I think the SIAC could have at least a couple of State Champions this year and several very high on the podium.

How do you think the central sectional stacks up against the castle sectional?

How do you think the central sectional stacks up against the castle sectional?

The change makes the sectionals so much more even. It used to be that in most weights, a #4 from Central Sectional could definitely compete with the #1 from the Castle Sectional. It's not like that anymore. MAJORITY of weights, you need to get top 2 in either sectional to get the draw you'd want going into Regionals.

I think Castle Sectional will get the most through though.

Ferguson looked ridiculously dominate. Todrank went 2 and 2(lopsided losses to good wrestlers), Davis went 4 and 2(losses were close matches to 3rd and 5th place)  and Pierre went 4 and 2 (Pretty lopsided loss to Kelly but looked good overall) Didn't see Kemper so not sure about his day. I could see all of those guys placing at State and depending on their weight one or two could place top 3. I see 3 possible State Champions from the SIAC.

SIAC will have the most gaps from 1st to 2nd then it probably has before.

Ferguson, Lee, Kelley, Kemper, Pierre, and Egli will all dominate at their weight as long as none of them end up in the same weight.

I see a lot of tech falls and pins happening.

Team wise, Mater Dei will win big most likely, if they can win last year by 40+ points or so. Then they shouldn't have too much of a problem this year.

• 2 weeks later...

SIAC will have the most gaps from 1st to 2nd then it probably has before.

Ferguson, Lee, Kelley, Kemper, Pierre, and Egli will all dominate at their weight as long as none of them end up in the same weight.

I see a lot of tech falls and pins happening.

Team wise, Mater Dei will win big most likely, if they can win last year by 40+ points or so. Then they shouldn't have too much of a problem this year.

Depending on Reitzs Davis and what weight he goes he will be added to this list as well. It would be nice to see the SIAC have some state medals come back home. All of these kids will/should bring home some hardware.

Davis wrestled 135 at the preseason open.  I would expect to see him at 132 and I believe he will be challenged at that weight.  I can't see him cutting to 126 although he might and I hear Todrank plans to go 138 so I dont' see him there either.  If he goes to 126 he will not win conference and I think he will be challenged anywhere else he ends up.  I'm not saying he won't win it, but he will have his hands full at 132 or 138. 

Kemper is not very offensive, but always gets the job done, he matches always seem to be 3-1, a stark contrast to Kelley who piles on the points. Crazy thing that their practice partners

Kelley is one of the most exciting to watch in the entire state. Craziest style I've ever seen.

Davis wrestled 135 at the preseason open.  I would expect to see him at 132 and I believe he will be challenged at that weight.  I can't see him cutting to 126 although he might and I hear Todrank plans to go 138 so I dont' see him there either.  If he goes to 126 he will not win conference and I think he will be challenged anywhere else he ends up.  I'm not saying he won't win it, but he will have his hands full at 132 or 138.

Davis will have all he wants at 132 with Jordan or at 138 with Seng.

I definitely feel there are some favorites for SIAC but refuse to think there isn't a kid from a program outside who we have talked about that couldn't come in and win a title. I am not ready to say that Ferguson, Kelly and Kemper and the rest of Mater Dei are going to win either. I know Nick Lee is perhaps the best high school wrestler in the nation at 126 lbs but that doesn't mean overnight the rest of the team became the best in the SIAC. There are tough kids from every school in the SIAC. What about the Freshman first year wrestler from Harrison who made a deep run into semistate last year? Anyone know if he is going to continue wrestling this year? If he wrestles 220 lbs who can give him trouble?

Obviously, there are other kids with chances to win, but with that being said we have all seen these kids enough to know which kids are the clear cut favorites.  I don't think you can argue that Kelley, Ferguson, Egli and Lee will be clear favorites to win titles.  There always are some competitive weight classes and there will be again this year.  Castle has a couple of quality wrestlers in Brown and Schnell.  Kemper will probably be a favorite too and A.J. Dixon from Central will battle.  Kyle Todrank from Reitz has been training hard all off season and will be someone to contend with.  Memorial has some talented wrestlers in Barnes and Stotlar and I'm sure a few others in lower weights.  Harrison's young heavyweight probably has to be the favorite there.  Mater Dei has been the team to beat in the SIAC for years and probably is again this year because of their depth.  That isn't to say MD will have 10 champions.  It won't happen.  They will have a handful though and most of the rest of the lineup will place near the top.  Should be a good year for the SIAC.  Lots of top end talent to make some noise on Saturday at Banker's Life.

My mistake. I meant to say that Ferguson, Kelly, Lee and Kemper are clear cut favorites to win it but I'm not going to say hand the rest over to Mater Dei. I think they will walk away with the SIAC trophy as a team without trouble and will have more in the finals than any other team. Has anyone heard what weight Schweitzer and Johnson will try to make the team at. They are in the heart of the meat grinder for sure.

I definitely feel there are some favorites for SIAC but refuse to think there isn't a kid from a program outside who we have talked about that couldn't come in and win a title. I am not ready to say that Ferguson, Kelly and Kemper and the rest of Mater Dei are going to win either. I know Nick Lee is perhaps the best high school wrestler in the nation at 126 lbs but that doesn't mean overnight the rest of the team became the best in the SIAC. There are tough kids from every school in the SIAC. What about the Freshman first year wrestler from Harrison who made a deep run into semistate last year? Anyone know if he is going to continue wrestling this year? If he wrestles 220 lbs who can give him trouble?

Harrison's heavy weight has been bulking because he plays defensive end at football, and has no intention of going 220. He should be at the top at 285 though in SIAC.

Obviously, there are other kids with chances to win, but with that being said we have all seen these kids enough to know which kids are the clear cut favorites.  I don't think you can argue that Kelley, Ferguson, Egli and Lee will be clear favorites to win titles.  There always are some competitive weight classes and there will be again this year.  Castle has a couple of quality wrestlers in Brown and Schnell.  Kemper will probably be a favorite too and A.J. Dixon from Central will battle.  Kyle Todrank from Reitz has been training hard all off season and will be someone to contend with.  Memorial has some talented wrestlers in Barnes and Stotlar and I'm sure a few others in lower weights.  Harrison's young heavyweight probably has to be the favorite there.  Mater Dei has been the team to beat in the SIAC for years and probably is again this year because of their depth.  That isn't to say MD will have 10 champions.  It won't happen.  They will have a handful though and most of the rest of the lineup will place near the top.  Should be a good year for the SIAC.  Lots of top end talent to make some noise on Saturday at Banker's Life.

I forgot to mention Luke Petrig from Memorial.  I would guess he will end up at 152 or 160.  He is another quality wrestler from a good program.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.