MD to send 12 to Semi State

After consulting with InterMat, NASA, and a few Harvard Statisticians it is clear that the Wildcat will be sending 12 to semi state this year.  The number of champions is up for debate, but I see the possibality of 4 if they wrestle to their potential.  A tribute to a young team with allot of injuries.

After consulting with InterMat, NASA, and a few Harvard Statisticians it is clear that the Wildcat will be sending 12 to semi state this year.  The number of champions is up for debate, but I see the possibality of 4 if they wrestle to their potential.  A tribute to a young team with allot of injuries.

hahaha.

Glad to see NASA is still able to find funds to keep their Wrestling Analysis Department in tact through this time of massive budget cuts.  It was started to prepare for a inter-galactic wrestling championship showdown between Astronauts and Cosmonauts on the moon, but they almost disbanded the department back in the 1980's when the Cold War ended.

Glad to see NASA is still able to find funds to keep their Wrestling Analysis Department in tact through this time of massive budget cuts.  It was started to prepare for a inter-galactic wrestling championship showdown between Astronauts and Cosmonauts on the moon, but they almost disbanded the department back in the 1980's when the Cold War ended.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha AWSEOME!!!!

I don't get counting the chickens before they hatch. Why put that pressure on the kids? It's like NFL players that guarantee wins. Just doesn't seem to be necessary.

It's easy for Chi Town Hustler.....................he's not necessarily a MD fan...................just a wrestling fan making a prediction. 

I don't get counting the chickens before they hatch. Why put that pressure on the kids? It's like NFL players that guarantee wins. Just doesn't seem to be necessary.

That has been the focus of more than a few exchanges on various threads recently.  Writing checks for the kids that they may not have a chance to cash, and then "giving examples" as why they didn't win after they have not quite reached the goal someone else set for them.

I can only assume the people do this have never stepped out there in front of friends, family, and strangers; dresses in next to nothing, and competed in the one sport that will test you like no other.  Like the kids need the added pressure.

That has been the focus of more than a few exchanges on various threads recently.   Writing checks for the kids that they may not have a chance to cash, and then "giving examples" as why they didn't win after they have not quite reached the goal someone else set for them.  

While it is true that a lot of people say a lot of stupid things, this is a discussion board.  People will make predictions.  Try http://www.quiltingboard.com/ if you want to play it safe.

I can only assume the people do this have never stepped out there in front of friends, family, and strangers; dresses in next to nothing, and competed in the one sport that will test you like no other.   Like the kids need the added pressure.

I don't see any jack leg on this board putting any more pressure on a MD kid than the program and it's rich tradition already places on them.

While it is true that a lot of people say a lot of stupid things, this is a discussion board.  People will make predictions.  Try http://www.quiltingboard.com/ if you want to play it safe.

I don't see any jack leg on this board putting any more pressure on a MD kid than the program and it's rich tradition already places on them.

Thank you mtv2112...................this is a discussion board.  If all we did on here was congratulate the kids - it would be pretty boring.  That's what Grandparents are for!!

Thank you mtv2112...................this is a discussion board.  If all we did on here was congratulate the kids - it would be pretty boring.   That's what Grandparents are for!!

The only added pressure I could see is if he named them and gave a ridiculous score from which to win by. I think most wrestlers ignore these boards anyway and let mom and dad go here and make good and bad discussions. Mater Dei put 9 (right?) In the SIAC finals so predicting 12 to place in the top 4 isnt really earth shattering.

This is not a surprising statement nor added pressure for the kids considering the potential MD has.  The top four wrestlers move on.  To say MD will not finish in the top four is pretty ridiculous.  Sure there may be some surprises but this is a fair statement.

I think there will be a problem with holding a meet on Saturn.  Due to the size of the planet and the gravity involved the first weight class would start about 2,000,106.  I might pitch a for one of the far moons of saturn.  The other big draw back is travel time.  Until the warp drive is invented we are pretty much screwed on any site other than our own moon.

Honestly I can see both sides of this.  On one side the kids do have a ton of pressure that actually is made worse by people logging on and posting things that are honestly rather stupid. 

No matter what we may want to believe, they are still kids after all.

The other side is their are lessons to be learned from everything in life and Infortunantly one of those lessons is that people will say the damnedest things and then swear they meant something else.  If they learn anything at all from any of this I hope it is that adults are usually just as wrong about things as teenagers. 

I am just as guilty as the next person of being wrong but I have to say if you think the kids don't read this and it doesn't have any effect on them, then you are just plain nuts.  To illustrate that point I will tell you that one of the most common things I heard about this board while I was gone was why people are making excuses and what have you.  Who did I hear it from?  Wrestlers.  Now for what it's worth they were laughing their butts off at the adults for acting like that.  But you see they are around and they are paying attention everytime someone says something  negative, failed or not, about them, they get it. 

Disagree all you want, but the fact is wrestling is for the kids, not a bunch of pot bellied men in the stands. 

I think we should start a petition to get the inter galatic meet back on.  We could have it on saturn because I bet the view from the rings would be awesome!

"under the lights?" Psssh. "Under the Rings!"

Considering where this post started, it seems fitting that space wrestling is the direction it went.

Well said Jon H the message board is for fans.  I in no way tried to put any undue pressure on the kids from Mater Dei by perdicting 12 to semi state.  I was just putting my opinion up for debate.  I hope for good competative wrestling this weekend with zero injuries, and lets hope the kids settel it on the mat not the ref's.  Lets hope a bad take down call at the edge of the circle or bad stalling call doesn't keep a boy or girl from advancing.  From the pot belliest of the pot bellies.....Chi Town Hustler.

Honestly I can see both sides of this.   On one side the kids do have a ton of pressure that actually is made worse by people logging on and posting things that are honestly rather stupid.   

No matter what we may want to believe, they are still kids after all.

The other side is their are lessons to be learned from everything in life and Infortunantly one of those lessons is that people will say the damnedest things and then swear they meant something else.   If they learn anything at all from any of this I hope it is that adults are usually just as wrong about things as teenagers. 

I am just as guilty as the next person of being wrong but I have to say if you think the kids don't read this and it doesn't have any effect on them, then you are just plain nuts.   To illustrate that point I will tell you that one of the most common things I heard about this board while I was gone was why people are making excuses and what have you.   Who did I hear it from?  Wrestlers.   Now for what it's worth they were laughing their butts off at the adults for acting like that.   But you see they are around and they are paying attention everytime someone says something  negative, failed or not, about them, they get it. 

Disagree all you want, but the fact is wrestling is for the kids, not a bunch of pot bellied men in the stands. 

I understand what you're saying.  Kids do see these things and it does get to them, even if you think it doesn't.

But in the end all that matters is what happens on the mat.  The mental side of wrestling is what makes it so hard.  The training and the physicality are tough enough, but the pressure to win will break a kid down.  3 plus decades of coaching and watching kids deal with over bearing parents and social situations makes it completely clear that what seems harmless can be far from it to kids.  Usually they don't have to see the kid at any other time than on the mat every so often, so what do they care?  In the end the kids usually come out of it stronger and better equipped to deal with life- as long as they have a good understanding of what is really important and what is just talk.

I am glad I didn't have to contend with the whole "Social Media" thing back in the day.  It was bad enough dealing the parents harping on about their kids and other kids on the team when I happened to run into them at the store. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.