Need Input on Dates for 2012 Fall Coaches' Clinic

The steering committee for our 2012 fall coaches' clinic is beginning to plan for next fall's event.  In recent months we have had several coaches request to minimize the the number of week days that the clinic falls on due to difficulty getting days off of work.  A number of "teacher coaches" have indicated a hardship due to the new state RISE evaluation tool that penalizes teachers for being away from school no matter what the reason.  Lay coaches have shared that it is tough for them to take personal days to attend the clinic.

The corresponding dates for next fall's clinic would be Thursday-Friday, Oct. 11 and 12.

Options:

1. Keep the corresponding dates

2. Go to a a Friday-Saturday format?

3. Go to a Saturday-Sunday format?

4. Go to a one day event (Friday or Saturday)?

Thoughts and positive suggestions welcome.

Coach McCormick

Coach,

I think that the dates are fine. I know that the majority of the schools in the Indy area are now or should be on a balanced calendar for the school. Speaking particular for the IPS school system we have a two week Fall Break. One week is intersession the other week is the official break. Just my two cents. If a change is needed I would like to suggest a one day format Saturday). It makes for a long day but the attendance should be increased allowing for more coaches to attend. http://www.about.ips.k12.in.us/fileadmin/Assets/AboutUs/calendars/12-13_calendar_Approved_29April11.pdf

My vote would be to go to a Friday Evening/Saturday.  Coaches could leave after work or school and make the Friday session without needing to take days off of work.  Then the Saturday session could end in the 4ish range giving individuals a chance to get back home at a reasonable time.  I don't like the idea of a Saturday/Sunday schedule as Sunday is a Church and Family day for me, but that schedule or a one day Saturday schedule would be optimal for coaches avoiding taking off of work.  Just my thoughts.........

Eric Myers

As a football coach also the Friday/Saturday is not good.  I like the later Thursday evening and Friday until 3ish option.  This helps eliminate a day of being off and would allow for football guys to be back. 

It was this way a few years ago and I thought the attendance was better than many years.  We could do round table, rules clinic, and social on Thursday evening.  Have the guest clinician teach on Friday.

Jeremy Bane

Richmond Red Devils

The only problem with ending Friday about 3:00 is that for those of us who live three and a half hours away.

There is no good solution to this.

I'm in favor of a Thursday - Friday clinic:

Thursday - morning clinician session 9-11 - lunch with business meeting 11:15-12:15 - afternoon clinician session 12:30-2:30

2:30-6:30 break to check in hotel, relax and eat dinner - evening session 7-10 rules meeting, round table, etc.

10:00 Coach's Social

Could have the Thursday evening session and social at the host hotel like we did in the past.

Friday - morning clinician session 9:30-11:30

This gives everyone time to get back for games and still have your weekend.

I don't think Thur. evening/Friday or Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday will be well attended.

I'll attend whichever format we go with, but I think Thur./ Fri. has worked out the best over the years.

Obviously, wrestling coaches who are also in football or a few other fall sports won't like anything that may take up Friday night or Saturday morning due to their schedules.  Other wrestling coaches without fall sports ties may not like the idea of taking off from their school or work day to attend a weekday event.  I personally have no fall sport ties, so an event that involves the weekend is more convinent with my school schedule.  You would need a membership profile to figure out which dates work for those willing to attend.  I'm sure this post was an attempt to do so, but it may not be on a wide enough scale to cover all members.

The only problem with ending Friday about 3:00 is that for those of us who live three and a half hours away.

There is no good solution to this.

I'm in favor of a Thursday - Friday clinic:

Thursday - morning clinician session 9-11 - lunch with business meeting 11:15-12:15 - afternoon clinician session 12:30-2:30

2:30-6:30 break to check in hotel, relax and eat dinner - evening session 7-10 rules meeting, round table, etc.

10:00 Coach's Social

Could have the Thursday evening session and social at the host hotel like we did in the past.

Friday - morning clinician session 9:30-11:30

This gives everyone time to get back for games and still have your weekend.

I don't think Thur. evening/Friday or Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday will be well attended.

I'll attend whichever format we go with, but I think Thur./ Fri. has worked out the best over the years.

Thursday/Friday includes 2 full days off of work.  I can't imagine that being well attended.  I know I wouldn't make it.

With basically being a Lay Coach, I already take anywhere from 3-5 days off of work for wrestling related reasons.  It's hard for me to justify any more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.