Lance Ellis Vs. ANYONE 119lb or below

BestSportEver

OK, I'm just saying, I don't know the year because I was only 11 or 12 BUT I believe Gabe Zerkalbach (from EMD) wrestled for Purdue and beat Lance in a college match. I don't know the details or the score. Gabe won state for MD as a senior I think in 88 I'm not sure what weight, Lance in my opinion is Indiana's greatest high school wrestler he had a flawless career. It just goes to show how much different highschool is from college. Debate on!

I forget which year but Zirkelbach decisioned Ellis 13-7 at the Big Ten meet in the match for 3rd-4th.  Zirkelbach was a year ahead of Lance at the time, winning a high school state title for MD at 103 in 1988, while Ellis was a 4x from 1986-1989 (98, 112, 112, 119).

Ellis had the same dominating presence then as Tsirtsis today.  Lance was more physical than Tsirtsis but less polished.  Huge thrower.

So, you think that technique hasn't developed at all since the 80s??

I would have to think that a single leg, double leg, half nelson, chicken wing, turk, hammer lock, set out and turn in, stand up, switch or a head lock and several others haven't developed much if any since the 1980's but way before that then the 80's.  I am pretty sure that they have been around since the beginning of man wrestling at the first Olympiad.  Technique may have gotten a little better but why is it that the basic fundamentals of this sport still wins over and over?  Look at our newest 4 time State Champ.  He has just mastered the basic's....

I would have to think that a single leg, double leg, half nelson, chicken wing, turk, hammer lock, set out and turn in, stand up, switch or a head lock and several others haven't developed much if any since the 1980's but way before that then the 80's.  I am pretty sure that they have been around since the beginning of man wrestling at the first Olympiad.  Technique may have gotten a little better but why is it that the basic fundamentals of this sport still wins over and over?  Look at our newest 4 time State Champ.  He has just mastered the basic's....

I agree that using fundamental basics are the key to winning, and I also agree that the single, double, etc. haven't changed. But, the details of the setups and finishes and defending have changed dramatically. In my opinion, these details are the difference between a regional qualifier and a state champ.

If you think technique hasn't changed, watch some film of Dan Gable wrestling. As great as he was, it looks very sloppy compared to today's wrestlers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.