Strongest semi state

This is the winning answer right here!

One side note however, Evansville SS proved to be the strongest last year with total # of champs & placers.

I've researched this stuff for 20 years.  It evolves over time.  Until last year, Merrillville far and away dominated the state finals on every level for 7 or 8 years (total placers, total finalists, total champs, total "team points", everything).  Before that, Evansville was the strongest for about half the years from '92 to '02.  Fort Wayne and New Castle were always very near them and shared some turns at #1, while Merrillville was usually the weakest of the 4.  There's no one semi-state that can lay claim to always being the best.  There's great wrestling at all 4, and it really does go in cycles.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

solid picks lynde is in the merrillville semi state so who do you see winning the evansville at 182???

Yeah at first i left Lynde out some how  just over looked him some how.... Fixed now...

BTW those wernt my pics just those who I thought were the favorites to win.... I like picking upsets!!!!

Also out of the 14 weight classes I think New Castle will have the most runner-ups as well

New CAstle

113  James

126 Phillips

132 Mckinley

160 Johnson

182 Schaeffer

HWT Bernard

All with the exception of James and most likely Mckinley (cant count out a returning champ thou) have a legit chance to win....

Dis has to be one of da silliset subjects - humm where has everyone been da last ten years ?

By da way Indy would not be as tough if i wasn't for our boy comin down dare showin you all how to wrasle.

Sorry man, I respect your opinion and every other little piece of insight that you or anyone else may have, but please learn to spell before posting something on here. It hurts to read that.

Sorry man, I respect your opinion and every other little piece of insight that you or anyone else may have, but please learn to spell before posting something on here. It hurts to read that.

I see you never met Regionrat before, hes a good guy. And I 100% agree with his opinion, I dont believe it to be a coincidence after a coaching genius left to Indy some of the best wraslin now takes place down there. Still take our boys from up North though. Not too many weight classes that coming from Mville Semi State that dont have a legitmate shot at taking the crown. I mean cause at the end of the day thats whats its about, people may get better draws, people may have an off day. But I find it farcical to say that Mville is the weakest Semi- State when you looking at possibly 50% of the state titles going to guys coming out of the Mville Semi State.

Also out of the 14 weight classes I think New Castle will have the most runner-ups as well

New CAstle

113  James

126 Phillips

132 Mckinley

160 Johnson

182 Schaeffer

HWT Bernard

All with the exception of James and most likely Mckinley (cant count out a returning champ thou) have a legit chance to win....

No way james is beating brooks

He has a chance... Brooks is beatable

I'll give you that, everyone's beatable, but after watching Brooks wrestle, he's so confident and so dominant in all phases that it's going to be a long shot to take him out. I'm not saying that it's not possible, it's just next to impossible.

He has a chance... Brooks is beatable

Everyone is beatable. But, to say it would be a big upset is a huge understatement. James is a stud and a redshirt fresh  so he has some extra maturity as apposed to a true fresh. that being said, James most often has an explosive edge on his opponents, that won't be true should he meet Brooks. It seems to me Brooks has the edge in every aspect and from every position, and a strength advantage. James is most vulnerable from bottom and Brooks is a hammer on top. So I think Brooks wins the battle on their feet and from top position. That's two out of three, game over. Should be entertaining though. JMO

BTW

-Merrillville

-Evansville

-New Castle

-Fort Wayne

To me the question, "which is the strongest semi-state?," means how tough is it to advance on to the state finals from it. Not how well did those kids advancing, perform at the finals.

This year, same as the last few years, the New Castle SS has many more ranked wrestlers in the majority of the weight classes (read the previews, if you don't want to take my word for it). So, I feel that makes the NCSS, the strongest.

Dis has to be one of da silliset subjects - humm where has everyone been da last ten years ?

By da way Indy would not be as tough if i wasn't for our boy comin down dare showin you all how to wrasle.

Which boy would that be?  I can't think of any big transfers from the region to Indy. Am I missing something.

I've researched this stuff for 20 years.  It evolves over time.  Until last year, Merrillville far and away dominated the state finals on every level for 7 or 8 years (total placers, total finalists, total champs, total "team points", everything).  Before that, Evansville was the strongest for about half the years from '92 to '02.  Fort Wayne and New Castle were always very near them and shared some turns at #1, while Merrillville was usually the weakest of the 4.  There's no one semi-state that can lay claim to always being the best.  There's great wrestling at all 4, and it really does go in cycles.

I think you at least have to stretch that time frame for Evansville to include '03...MD alone took 10, placed 8, had 7 in the top 3 with 4 champs that year...and I know that other guys from our semi-state placed high that year as well (at least one Bloomington South wrestler finished 2nd to Tsirtsis that year)....

I think this year I have to give the nod to Evansville, it's a grinder - some unbelievable ticket rounds...but Merriville has been tough the last few years...and New Castle always has some studs as well

With the sheer talent across the state, not only will the Semi-States be chock full of great wrestling...the State Finals next week-end should be UNFORGETTABLE!!!

To me the question, "which is the strongest semi-state?," means how tough is it to advance on to the state finals from it. Not how well did those kids advancing, perform at the finals.

Really? So that would mean advancing to the finals carries more weight than actually placing at the finals??? Your going to have trouble selling that.

There could be a weight division out of any semi-state that doesn't place a single wrestler. But at that semi-state all wrestlers in that weight division were very even, making it tough to advance. And another semi-state has two dominate wrestlers that both easily advance and place at the finals. Which semi-state is better in that division?? The one with the placing wrestlers of course.

Since all semi-states advance the same number of wrestlers the only objective way to determine is placers at the finals. Anything else is subjective and a matter of opinion.

Someone should come up with a points system to rate each semi-states performance at the state finals.  Award points to placers in each weight class, add them up at the end and you have your winner.

Could go something like

1st -  30 points

2nd - 24 points

3rd - 19points

4th -15 points

5th - 12 points

6th - 9 points

7th - 7 points

8th - 5 points

You could tweak the numbers, but you would have a more objective way of determining the top semi-state each year.

Really? So that would mean advancing to the finals carries more weight than actually placing at the finals??? Your going to have trouble selling that.

There could be a weight division out of any semi-state that doesn't place a single wrestler. But at that semi-state all wrestlers in that weight division were very even, making it tough to advance. And another semi-state has two dominate wrestlers that both easily advance and place at the finals. Which semi-state is better in that division?? The one with the placing wrestlers of course.

Since all semi-states advance the same number of wrestlers the only objective way to determine is placers at the finals. Anything else is subjective and a matter of opinion.

I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, as I stated that is how I interpret the question. What your last statement doesn't account for, but my angle does, is give credence to the talent of those 3 or 4 ranked wrestlers (in several different weight classes) at the New Castle SS who won't have a chance to compete at the finals. Why?.....Because they had the misfortune of having to go through the actual toughest semi-state. Also, your point is subjective as well. Those placers you mentioned, from other SS, might've been in the same boat, if their SS had 7 or 8 ranked kids at their weight class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.