Strongest semi state

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traditionally people just count up the number of state placers and determine from there which semi-state is the toughest.  Thats a quick and simple way of comparing semi-state talent.  But as far as depth and over all strength of each semi-state goes I would say it is better measured by the talent level of those at semi-state who end up not making it to state.  Certain semi-states may produce a few state placers at a weight but have no other real studs to talk about. While other semi-states have a few state placers and several other top guys not even make because of the meat grinder that occurred in the first two rounds of semi-state.

i think Evansville is the best semi-state year in and year out

Really?  Last 10 years ya think so?  Are we talking most state champs, most top fours, most top eights?  Either way you slice it, don't know how you can make this statement with the success of the Region.  I don't think Merrillville is toughest this year but year in and out they have been pretty tough for the last 10 years.  

Year in and year out?  Are you serious? I gotta believe that Merrillville has produced the most state champs in the last 10 years.

REALLY!!! Kinda close this year. Hate to be the one to break it to ya, but the last 5-7 has been owned by Mville. So saying year in and year out is... well..... wrong.

I wonder why no body has mentioned new castle because they have has the toughest in the past couple years i mean look who has come out of our semi state mullins phillips keiffer brothers sorry if spelled wrong boston in past  had lance ellis reece humphery those are important names

I've researched this stuff for 20 years.  It evolves over time.  Until last year, Merrillville far and away dominated the state finals on every level for 7 or 8 years (total placers, total finalists, total champs, total "team points", everything).  Before that, Evansville was the strongest for about half the years from '92 to '02.  Fort Wayne and New Castle were always very near them and shared some turns at #1, while Merrillville was usually the weakest of the 4.  There's no one semi-state that can lay claim to always being the best.  There's great wrestling at all 4, and it really does go in cycles.

It seems to me that the Merrillville Semi-State was the strongest for the past ten years and that most of those wrestlers making it so were also frequent participants in the Region Elite wrestling practices. Recently I would be compelled to give the edge to the New Castle Semi State. With that being said, I wonder how many of those top wrestlers in that Semi-State attend CIA.

It seems to me that the Merrillville Semi-State was the strongest for the past ten years and that most of those wrestlers making it so were also frequent participants in the Region Elite wrestling practices. Recently I would be compelled to give the edge to the New Castle Semi State. With that being said, I wonder how many of those top wrestlers in that Semi-State attend CIA.

If this a sown year for the region, I'll take it we are still going to have a 3x and 4x out there. With a tough freshman and sophomore class the future looks bright hopefully we can create some depth. 

If you add the sectional multipliers from the Duals State Championship Scoring System for each semistate, you get

Evansville  8.47

New Castle 8.32

Fw 7.93

M'ville 7.32

This would give you a top to bottom view for each semistate.  thoughts?

If you add the sectional multipliers from the Duals State Championship Scoring System for each semistate, you get

Evansville  8.47

New Castle 8.32

Fw 7.93

M'ville 7.32

This would give you a top to bottom view for each semistate.  thoughts?

I thought evansville was the strongest surprised to see merillville last

Weight                New Castle                                Evansville                          Merrillville                                           Fort Wayne

106                  Boston                             Kennedy                                    Micic                                                       Lee          

113                       James                                      Schoettle                               Brooks                                            Phillips

120                   Todd                                   Welch                                      Petrov                                                   Bevans

126                      Phillips                                 Vanhook                               Ayersman                                     Crume  

132                      Mckinley                             Molloy                               Mchugh                                                     Batt      

138                       Farrell                                       Lannert                                Griffen                                               Jackson

145                        Tatom                                    Montgomery                             Tsirtis                                              Faurot

152                   Mullin                              Richey                                       Brown                                                     Bradley

160                 Harvey                           Underwood                                 Steveson                                             Goodnight                          

170                   Willis                                Mappes                                  Crocker                                                   Adams

182                     Schaeffer                                 Bradenstien                             Lynde                                                  Busse

195                       Sliga                                   Mauer                                      Berry                                                 Raybole                                    

220                         Kinney                                     Knura                                Kral                                              Biberstine                                    

HWT                    Bernard                                  Suter                                  Hall                                                     Stauffer

6 favorites                                    3 favorites                                2 locks                                                       1 favorite

2 favorite                                                  

Weight                New Castle                                Evansville                          Merrillville                                           Fort Wayne

106                  Boston                              Kennedy                                    Micic                                                       Lee         

113                       James                                      Schoettle                               Brooks                                            Phillips

120                  Todd                                   Welch                                      Petrov                                                   Bevans

126                      Phillips                                 Vanhook                                Ayersman                                     Crume   

132                      Mckinley                              Molloy                               Mchugh                                                     Batt       

138                       Farrell                                       Lannert                                Griffen                                                Jackson

145                        Tatom                                    Montgomery                             Tsirtis                                              Faurot

152                   Mullin                               Richey                                       Brown                                                     Bradley

160                  Harvey                            Underwood                                 Steveson                                             Goodnight                           

170                    Willis                                Mappes                                  Crocker                                                   Adams

182                     Schaeffer                                 Lynde                                Huford                                                   Busse

195                      Sliga                                   Mauer                                      Berry                                                 Raybole                                     

220                         Kinney                                     Knura                                Kral                                              Biberstine                                     

HWT                    Bernard                                  Suter                                   Hall                                                     Stauffer

6 favorites                                    4 favorites                                2 locks                                                       1 favorite

1 favorite                                                   

solid picks lynde is in the merrillville semi state so who do you see winning the evansville at 182???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.