Will dual meets lose luster?

Smooth34

Why would they lose luster? 

With no more team tournament?  I'm guessing most teams will wrestle super duals because you get more matches than tournaments.  Just wondering if there's a possibility teams go away from duals/super duals. Team records will be irrelevant.  I guess I don't remember wrestling before the team tournament

With no more team tournament?  I'm guessing most teams will wrestle super duals because you get more matches than tournaments.  Just wondering if there's a possibility teams go away from duals/super duals. Team records will be irrelevant.  I guess I don't remember wrestling before the team tournament

But, team record were not really a factor that helped going into sectionals or even team regional.  It did help teams promote themselves though to their youth program, school, and community.

Not seeing much change in schedules due to the change in format.  Only thing you may see is a few coaches trying to get into one extra tournament each year.  Logic being that if your team has traditionally preform poor in tournaments you can get them one more experience of how it feels prior to walking into sectionals.  But I wouldn't call adding one extra tournament a big change is scheduling philosophy.   Unless they change wrestling to be a completely Open format where kids enter events at will (ie like USA Wrestling) the team aspect will always be a fasset of our sport to the coaches that make it one.  You still need a solid team performance with several placers not just finalists to win or be runner-ups team wise sectionals so coaches will probably keep pushing that.  Its not really until regionals or Semi-state that the stud factor really comes into play to determine the tournament team champion.  This why some teams don't finish top two at sectional but will be in running for top two througj the rest of the tournament system using that scoring system.  Coaches that don't emphasize team wrestling in the new individual scoring system probably didn't under the team state system anyways.

Ya know, wrestling teams did thrive in Indiana long before the team tournament existed.  The Cathedral vs Delta matches of the mid 1980s are proof of that.  Of course I am sad to see team state go, but the sport will thrive, and we will once again find excitment in team scores, bonus points, heros, and spoliers at the state meet.  I know it isn't perfect, but it will be fun in a different way.  

Ya know, wrestling teams did thrive in Indiana long before the team tournament existed.  The Cathedral vs Delta matches of the mid 1980s are proof of that.  Of course I am sad to see team state go, but the sport will thrive, and we will once again find excitment in team scores, bonus points, heros, and spoliers at the state meet.  I know it isn't perfect, but it will be fun in a different way.  

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.