IHSWCA New Proposal for a new Team State

Darrick Snyder

I think the coaches association should have a make up meeting to vote on the issue of class team state.  It is obvious that many of the coaches were not informed there would be a vote of this porportion at the meeting.  Lets do another meeting 2 Sundays from now to get all voices heard on the matter.  Also lets get more coaches involved in the structuring of the tourney.  Any Indy area coaches with 3 gyms come in and try and host the event.  Lets not talk on here lets get involved thats the only way to get the association to move in the right direction.  If McCormick can not make it thats fine this is an association of the coaches.  So set your calenders lets do this two Sundays from now lets talk with ADs and come together for once to grow the sport.  Whos with me on giving a little more effort to get this done?  It will suck for a season but then all the chips will fall into place.  A little sacrifice for a big time event.  All coaches who want to attend lets get in contact with McCormick today.  If you will attend let the wrestling community know on here. 

The next IHSWCA meeting is December 4th.  They are open to anyone in the association not just officers and regional reps.  I dont see where this idea that the IHSWCA is an "old boys club" comes from.  If you are in the association and want a voice then go to the meetings.  How is it an "old boysclub" if any member can attend most meetings.  If you want a say than go to the meetings.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next IHSWCA meeting is December 4th.  They are open to anyone in the association not just officers and regional reps.  I dont see where this idea that the IHSWCA is an "old boys club" comes from.  If you are in the association and want a voice then go to the meetings.  How is it an "old boysclub" if any member can attend most meetings.  If you want a say than go to the meetings.

Does the Director of Communications for the IHSWCA email all current member as to time and place?  Does he attach a meeting agenda?  Does the IHSWCA actively try to increase attendance?

Does the Director of Communications for the IHSWCA email all current member as to time and place?  Does he attach a meeting agenda?  Does the IHSWCA actively try to increase attendance?

Good point.  The information about the last meeting was put on this site, and the information about dates and times that the IHSWCA meets can be found on the ihswca site as well as on handouts given out at the state coaches clinic.  I would agree though that this is an area where the coaches association could get better and is attempting to.  At the same time though it is not like they are hiding this information.  A coach who wants a say could find this information, or could email the officers and I am sure they would provide them with a timely responce.

Hey Karl there is a meeting December 4th tell your buddy Y2 and maybe you two can quit crying like babies on the internet and actually try to do something to help.  Oh nevermind that would be to logical.  You just want to pick out any flaws in everyone else's stuff but when the time comes for leaders to step up your no where to be found.  Thats fine with me since one person shouldn't be allowed two votes.  (Since you just agree with anything Y2 says.  You and y2 back each other like 2 freshmen soriety girls on hell week.)  That being said we need leaders to step up.  No more excuses were going to loose any chance at team state if no one steps up.  

I bet Karl was making the same suggestions 10 minutes after you told him about it, but just out of curiousity whatwere your suggestions?  

The pot shots aren't necessary.

I suggested that if a kid were to wrestle in the IN/IL All-Star meet that his head coach MUST be a member of the association.  The same goes for the Scholastic Duals.  This would add value to being a member and if a kid is not allowed to compete in one of these events the parents will be hounding the head coach as to why.  

I also suggested setting up an online form via GoogleDocs and setup a PayPal account for people to become members of the association.  Currently the only way to become a member is by snail mailing your registration along with a check.

Those are two simple things that could help drive up membership and make it EASIER to become a member.  I personally do not want to print off a form, find a stamp and mail it out, but it would take me 5 minutes to fill out an online form and pay via PayPal.  

I bet Karl was making the same suggestions 10 minutes after you told him about it, but just out of curiousity whatwere your suggestions? 

If you would like you could PM me your email address and I can attach the outline of specific ways the IHSWCA could  be improved that I presented in a meeting with a former president.  Interestingly they none of my suggestions are the same as Joe's.....

If you are more interested in creating drama by calling me names, go ahead with that as well, what ever floats your boat.

I Agree with your suggestions.  If you look at the minutes from the last association meeting it looks like the first idea is heading that way.  To coach in an event you must be a member, but I totally agree with you that would be a good way to increase membership.  How many times did you bring up these ideas?  I think sometimes the little stuff gets pushed to the back burners because they are trying to get big stuff through, but those seem fairly easy to accomplish and would make it a lot easier to join.    

The pot shots probably are not needed, but lets get real you two are the two biggest downers on this site.  I mean if the system is broke lets fix it, and if you don't want to fix it then don't beat down people that are trying to get results.  If the coaches assoiciation fails then it hurts everyone so you as coaches need to step up and not continue to act like it doesn't matter what you do.  If thats your attitude then you deserve the representation you get.

Good point.  The information about the last meeting was put on this site, and the information about dates and times that the IHSWCA meets can be found on the ihswca site as well as on handouts given out at the state coaches clinic.  I would agree though that this is an area where the coaches association could get better and is attempting to.  At the same time though it is not like they are hiding this information.  A coach who wants a say could find this information, or could email the officers and I am sure they would provide them with a timely responce.

I would guess that not all coaches who are members frequent this site or attend all clinics.  An email with an attached agenda sent to all members is not an unreasonable expectation of a coach's association.  Especially when major decisions are going to be discussed, it should be incumbent upon the association to attempt to communicate as directly as possible with its membership.  When major decisions are made by very few without attempts to survey the membership, the perception of being the 'old boys club' quickly develops.

The pot shots probably are not needed, but lets get real you two are the two biggest downers on this site.  I mean if the system is broke lets fix it, and if you don't want to fix it then don't beat down people that are trying to get results.  If the coaches assoiciation fails then it hurts everyone so you as coaches need to step up and not continue to act like it doesn't matter what you do.  If thats your attitude then you deserve the representation you get.

I was pointing out the lack of communication much as you have done, not trying to be a debby downer.  

If you would like you could PM me your email address and I can attach the outline of specific ways the IHSWCA could  be improved that I presented in a meeting with a former president.  Interestingly they none of my suggestions are the same as Joe's.....

If you are more interested in creating drama by calling me names, go ahead with that as well, what ever floats your boat.

Karl would you be willing to share those ideas on here?  I would love to hear them.  I don?t disagree that the IHSWCA needs to improve at all and would be interested to see your thoughts on it.

I think that the ideas that Y2 listed are very good and need to be looked at again by the association.

With this all being said I still think a lot of the blame falls on the coaches who don?t make the effort that is needed to join the association to help and make our group stronger and our sport better.  We need more participation in the association, but what reason is there for a head coach in the state NOT to join the association?  I mean just take the junior and senior academic all-state, you need to be a member to have a wrestler recognized for this.  What coach, or athletic department could really feel that they are doing their kids justice if they don?t join to have their wrestlers recognized for this alone.

The next issue is that the cost for a coach to join the association is probably free.  I would bet that nearly all, if not every athletic director in the state would pay the dues for the coach to join the association.  I mean really all you have to do is go in and tell the AD that you would like to join most will pay for it, seriously what AD would not pay for it if your wrestlers could be recognized for academic all-state, let alone the other programs that the IHSWCA offers. If the group is going to get stronger coaches need to start caring about the sport more. To be frank there are too many head coaches that apparently don?t care enough about the sport to help make it better.

First thing First we need to have a complete list of every Head Coach and there school and email and phone contact for them.  That should be the first step then we can go from there to increase membership and attendance to meetings.

Karl would you be willing to share those ideas on here?  I would love to hear them.  I don?t disagree that the IHSWCA needs to improve at all and would be interested to see your thoughts on it.

I think that the ideas that Y2 listed are very good and need to be looked at again by the association.

With this all being said I still think a lot of the blame falls on the coaches who don?t make the effort that is needed to join the association to help and make our group stronger and our sport better.  We need more participation in the association, but what reason is there for a head coach in the state NOT to join the association?  I mean just take the junior and senior academic all-state, you need to be a member to have a wrestler recognized for this.  What coach, or athletic department could really feel that they are doing their kids justice if they don?t join to have their wrestlers recognized for this alone.

The next issue is that the cost for a coach to join the association is probably free.  I would bet that nearly all, if not every athletic director in the state would pay the dues for the coach to join the association.  I mean really all you have to do is go in and tell the AD that you would like to join most will pay for it, seriously what AD would not pay for it if your wrestlers could be recognized for academic all-state, let alone the other programs that the IHSWCA offers. If the group is going to get stronger coaches need to start caring about the sport more. To be frank there are too many head coaches that apparently don?t care enough about the sport to help make it better.

What is the benefit of being a member?  If my kid qualifies for the IN/IL All-Star meet, I don't have to be a member for him to go.  The same goes with the Scholastic Duals.  The ONLY thing that would be good about being a member is a junior or senior academic all-state.  Being a member doesn't get me any notifications of future meetings, meeting agendas, meeting minutes.  Heck it doesn't even get me information on the Hall of Fame dinner that supposedly is the best thing since sliced bread.    

I Agree with your suggestions.  If you look at the minutes from the last association meeting it looks like the first idea is heading that way.  To coach in an event you must be a member, but I totally agree with you that would be a good way to increase membership.  How many times did you bring up these ideas?  I think sometimes the little stuff gets pushed to the back burners because they are trying to get big stuff through, but those seem fairly easy to accomplish and would make it a lot easier to join.   

It shouldn't take four years for a suggestion like that to be instated, it should be fairly simple for the people at the meetings to vote on it.  Adding value to being a member will always increase the membership.  There were only two meetings a year and I did not attend any last year due to having a child, but I know I brought it up and it was acknowledged by the president and vice president.  Neither went any further than being acknowledged as "an idea."

The pot shots probably are not needed, but lets get real you two are the two biggest downers on this site.  I mean if the system is broke lets fix it, and if you don't want to fix it then don't beat down people that are trying to get results.  If the coaches assoiciation fails then it hurts everyone so you as coaches need to step up and not continue to act like it doesn't matter what you do.  If thats your attitude then you deserve the representation you get.

If the coaches assocation fails, it doesn't mean wrestling is this state will come to a screeching halt.  The IHSWCA has very little influence on the coaches in this state at the present time.

P.S. I inquired about updating the website, but was told that it was not a priority.

What if the teams dropped duals for the "State Series"? Top 8 teams in each class.

Example:

Quarterfinals take place on Wednesday of Week 1 in January. Top four teams in each class host.

Semis take place on Wednesday of Week 2 in January. Top 2 teams left host.

Finals take place on Wednesday of Week 3 in January. All 3 classes wrestle the Championship round at the same venue.

I think it would be easy to get teams to drop duals than tourneys. Most teams see their duals opponents in a tournament somewhere along the season. Thoughts?

So students, parents, friends, relatives, etc.  travel to Indianapolis on a Wednesday night for the State Championship?  No one will show up.

I have to agree my pot shots don't do the subject any justice.  I will continue to fight against Y2 on most issues, but this one is too big of an issue for me to waiste my time razzing Y2 and Karl.  I think we need come together as a wrestling community to make the team state happen.  That may mean comprimising with some of the ideas that we think are the best way to do team state.  I for one use to be an all in tourney type of guy, but  now see that this will not be available at the inception of the tourney.  I still like the all in format, but would be willing to compromise at the start as long as we work towards it eventually.  If the team state takes off I think it will naturally create a dead week in the season when the tourney is being held.  This I think could eventually help the IHSWCA  have the all in tourney in a weeks time, but thats down the road. Lets work together and all sacrifice a little for something that will help promote the sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.