IHSWCA Team State Thoughts

I wanted to throw some thoughts out regarding Team State.  First off, as I have mentioned numerous times, the Mishawaka Wrestling Program's entire focus is centered around Team State.  Again, I think losing Team State as the determination of our true State Champions is a HUGE step backwards.  We had a down year this year...however, despite the fact that we only talk about Team State we have won 4 titles at Individual State in the last 6 years.  Our individuals trained harder and got to the next level because of our focus on the team.  Ohio is going to a team state and we are going away from it...dumb

Done with my rant...

Anyhow, I think the IHSWCA Team State could be a great experience if we get it right...Mishawaka will particiapte in the IHSWCA Team State almost no matter what the format is, but I have some concerns...

1.) The IHSWCA Team State MUST be classed.  I am not sure how many classes we should have...or how we handle a team that may want to bump up, but classing it should not even be a debate.

2.) I like the idea of an all in tournament, but I am not sure if it would be as easy as some of us might wish it would be.  If we can't do an all in tournament, we MUST come up with an effective method for teams that qualify for Team State.  In my opinion, NOTHING should be based off the previous year.  That has no influence on the current year.  Case in point - last year we had 9 state placers and were ranked 14th in the country...this past year we had one state placer and were no where near as good.  Why should my team this year get to go based off of last year?  Why would my team next year be punished for what the team the year before did? 

I don't claim to have all the answers, but if we do not work out an all in system we can NOT determine who qualifies based off of the previous year.  That makes no sense.  We are smarter than that and can come up with something better. 

Just some of my thoughts.

Snyder

Coach Snyder,

I just want to say you do a tremendous job as a coach and educator.  I also want to say from what I have seen on here and heard from other people, most everyone wants there to be a team state.  The only thing people are complaining about is the best way to get it done.  That can be a good thing.  On the board I have seen 5 or 6 different options to get things done and all of them are classed in some way, shape, or form.  There are several different logical options and they all end up with a team state title.  I hope the IHSAA lets the coaches association do an all in format, but if they don't it would not be devastating for an invite only.  Main thing is get something on paper and stick with it.  Make whatever the coaches assiociation comes up with the best it can be.  If you like my idea from an earliar post i can do some more leg work on the 8 way qualifier locations just send me a message.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously,...... I think the Conference Team Championships should be the qualifier for an All-In Team State Tournament. How many Conferences are there?

What about schools not in a conference?  I believe Cathedral does not have  a conference and possible Roncalli too.

Seriously,...... I think the Conference Team Championships should be the qualifier for an All-In Team State Tournament. How many Conferences are there?

I'm not so sure about that some conferences are pretty tough and u also go back to the tourny format to determine who goes to the state which most didn't like

I like the all-in tournament idea, with qualification through conference tournament championships. As for the teams that do not have conference, there could be an independent conference qualification. The all-in, larger scale tournament would be exciting and I would be supportive.

I like the all-in tournament idea, with qualification through conference tournament championships. As for the teams that do not have conference, there could be an independent conference qualification. The all-in, larger scale tournament would be exciting and I would be supportive.

Using a Conference Tournament as a qualifier is not workable at all since most Conference Tournaments are either the week before Sectionals or two weeks before Sectionals so there would not be any time left to have a Team Tournament after the Conference Tournaments are held.

If we were to do the Conference route there would need to figure out a things:

1. Is a class system worth establishing. If so conference alignment won't work to determine the winner since each conference is a mix of classes. But a class group could be established and take on the same characteristics as what is mentioned below about the conference set up.

2.An early season conference team competition (multi-dual), team tournament, or a dual meet system (basically like college football conference standings) established.  That way we can determine the winner outright without the individual tournament moving or playing a factor.

3. A way to determine how non-conference teams can fit in. Through there own competition or dual meet criteria.

4. Is it worth having a few at large bids in case of tough teams in the same conference.  Or are those just the breaks just like what sectional or regional you happen to be in.

Can someone show me in an IHSAA meeting where it is stated that  the team state tournament is over after this coming year. Not saying it's not, I just want to see it for clarity.

I'm not sure they made it official yet. However, the IHSWCA board was told by the assistant commissioner they will be discontinuing it after this year.  I would say if he canals that statement  it's safe to say the IHSAA board has the votes they need.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.