The IHSAA Survey

tskin

Well got the email today from Bobby Cox about their survey.  States all principals, AD's, and head coaches have recieved a link for this survey.  Make sure you talk to them about what you want as a coach before they take the survey.  On a side note I clicked on the link to take survey and it popped up saying "thankyou for completing this survey"  so not sure what is going there since I never took it.

Well Mr. Cox has replied to me and told me I have already filled out the survey?!?!  He gave me a list of answers.  So no clue what questions are but if this is how survey will be running I fear the results are already decided.  I never got a chance to take survey!

Let me know if you guys felt the same way, but I had a small panic attack when I saw the questions on the survey.

Why is there not an option to vote for Classing the Team Tournament?  The options that the survey gave us were to keep it the way it is, eliminate it, or change the dates that it is run.  You can also post suggestions, but I can't believe that classing it was even an option on the survey...............

I just finished taking it and there was not an option for classing team state, but there is a comment box at the bottom where I wrote a personal message to Mr. Cox on this matter.  At least the IHSAA is taking the time out to entertain the wrestling community.  I hope it will make a difference...

I went over the survey with my Principal and I thought it was a pretty misleading survey if you just go over it quickly.  Make sure that you post comments as there is no option to class the team series.

Guys I finally got on to take it and here are my answers.  enjoy.

1. No

2. No

3. No

4. I would like to to see a classed Team State.  Per the IHSWCA survey conducted earlier this year over 75% of coaches would like to see the Team Portion Classed.  Now I answered No to question three because I wanted to give my perspective on classing Team State since it wasn't provided as a question.  I feel moving dates to better fit a classed team series would be a idea the IHSAA could look into.

5.  I feel the additition of Team Tourney has been a great addition to wrestling.  I know a few coaches have made bad choices with sending JV wrestlers on to regionals in hopes of protecting them for the individual series.  I don't agree with this practice at all but having been a Head Track Coach this isn't much different to when a coach will have a athlete qualify for multiple events for regionals or State and then scratch them from one event to save them for their showcase event at the next level.

Thanks

Tyson

1. Are you in favor of continuing the IHSAA team wrestling tournament series in its current format and time schedule?

Yes or No

2. If you answered "No" to Question #1, are you in favor of determining the IHSAA wrestling state championship team from the individual state finals tournament results? (Return to format used prior to 1996)

Yes or No

3. If you answered "No" to Question #1, are you in favor of conducting the current team state format at another time during either the regular season or tournament series?

Yes or No

4. If you answered "No" to Question #3, what format would you like to see used in determining the team champion in wrestling?

5. Comments or Suggestions:

Here is my educated guess on the situation.  

The IHSAA has made their decision on what will happen and this survey is a formality.  The answer to the first question will be overwelmingly no( > 70%) and thus the IHSAA will state that the coaches, ADs and principals want change.  Thus they will inact their plan they had from the beginning.

Unfortunately our coaches and the coaches assocation have allowed this to happen and now we are being reactive instead of proactive.  I surely hope my prediction is wrong, but in the end this can make our coaches and coaches assocation get better organized.  Sometimes you need to be punched in the mouth in order to wake you up and this is the wake up call the coaches and coaches assocation needs at the present time.

Not sure how we as a coaches assot. are being reactive when we initiated a survey over what we wanted months ago.  The IHSAA does not care to see our results that is why they are conducting there own survey to get the answers they want.

Tyson

1. Are you in favor of continuing the IHSAA team wrestling tournament series in its current format and time schedule?

Yes or No

I'm guessing most who answered NO to this meant they still wanted a Team Tournament, but with changes.

The IHSAA will interpret a NO as meaning they don't want the Team Tournament to continue at all.  With the way it is worded, a NO answer can mean so much more.

Please make sure you take some time immidiately to talk to your principal and AD about holding off on the survey until you can talk to them soon. 

Unfortunately, if the data is mixed with no answer being overwhelming the IHSAA will say the survey was inconclusive and say that is a legit reason to take it upon just themselves to decided what to do.  Making sure your principals and AD are informed of the details of the state tournament series by you so you have a better chance that they will go into it voting the same way as you (the wrestling coach) did.  Reguardless of what your stance it this is a much better way of voting to help your school out than them voting quickly before you can speak with them.  If not we are letting people have little to no clue about the details of the tournament series have 2/3 of the opinion on it.  This will no doubt help to add more mixed data and a inconclusive result.

Not sure how we as a coaches assot. are being reactive when we initiated a survey over what we wanted months ago.  The IHSAA does not care to see our results that is why they are conducting there own survey to get the answers they want.

Tyson

The IHSAA for about five years has stated they do not like the team state series.  Two years ago they changed the format to only sectional champions advance and they have made other small changes in the past five years.  Many people before me were calling to class at least team state and it fell on deaf ears.  We should have been making a movement for change BEFORE the IHSAA stated there was going to be change.  Instead the coaches assocation has been happy with the status quo and not done anything in terms of the state series. 

I answered yes.  Reason posted in the comments section:

Classing the team state tournament without classing the individual state tournament makes no sense.  What's fair for the team is fair for the individual.

I believe that from looking at the questions on this survey we will be determining our Team State Champion via the Individual State Tournament next year.  I'm usually not a Debbie Downer, but that is the feeling I have.

I wahoo you just for the debbie downer reference......great sketch on snl.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.