Question for the Officials

Drooke

I'm gearing up for state by watching some of my old finals dvd's...I'm currently on 2006. I have a question for the officials. What is your most memorable match...due to close calls, intensity by the wrestlers, atmosphere, just plain crazy bout, or...?

We always hear the opinions of the folks in the stands...now it is your turn.

Haha...thanks Stick.

This isn't related to officiating either but it is a great quote that  a friend told on another wrestling board and I found it amusing....the individual involved in the story is Steve Fittery...American University's #1 Div 1 ranked 157 lbr that is a noted devout christian who often speaks of his faith.

My best friend goes to Messiah college a small d3 christian school. Well they had a wrestling camp w/ Fittery as a counselor. This is the story he told me.

There was a kid who placed fairly high at sophomore nationals who was beating all the HS kids and was holding his own with some d3 guys. Well the camp director decided to send Fittery against him. Fittery of course is destroying this guy to the point that the camp director said "Take it easy on him." Fittery in a serious tone said

"Jesus didnt take it easy for our sins" and went back to kicking butt.

I recently moved to Alaska after teaching and coaching in Indiana for three years. I was running a kids camp in my village (22 miles south of the Arctic Circle, 130 miles from Russia, and 100% Eskimo) and two boys were putting on quite a show during their match. They both wanted to come out to music and be introduced like their WWE idols. Anyways, by the 3rd period one of the boys hit a nice double leg and the other went crashing to the mat. After going belly down, the kid looks up at me and says, "He can have the belt!" and promptly tapped out. I was seriously in tears laughing so hard. Only in "Bush Alaska"...

Last night coaching a middle school meet.  One of our newer wrestlers is trying to fight off of the bottom and is near our corner facing myself and the other coach.  He looks up and states, in the middle of the action, "I don't like crossfaces".  My co coach and I looked at each other and began laughing,  it was difficult to stop. 

My teaching position was cut at Southmont and trying to find a social studies job in Indiana was like a needle in a haystack so my wife and I decided to take on an adventure. The culture shock took awhile but it has been an experience I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I've even managed to get some kids interested in wrestling (basketball reigns king in the Eskimo villages) so that was an added bonus. The Iditarod is coming up which should be fun and we've had two polar bears in our village this month so that alone was worth the move. I'd still love to be at Conseco next weekend though, that's for sure.

Kevin Wilkinson

Shishmaref, Alaska

Last year I was officiating a freshman match between Carmel and Brownsburg.The Carmel wrestler locked his hands I immediately gave the "locked hands' signal and waited for the delay call (to see if the Brownsburg wrestler could escape). Finally when he did not get the escape I blew the whistle and called the Carmel wrestler for locked hands and awarded the Brownsburg wrestler the point. At this time the Brownsburg wrestler looked at me and told me that the Carmel wrestler did not have locked hand that he had a hold his hand.

I was giving him a point and he was arguing the call with me. Had to laugh

My teaching position was cut at Southmont and trying to find a social studies job in Indiana was like a needle in a haystack so my wife and I decided to take on an adventure. The culture shock took awhile but it has been an experience I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I've even managed to get some kids interested in wrestling (basketball reigns king in the Eskimo villages) so that was an added bonus. The Iditarod is coming up which should be fun and we've had two polar bears in our village this month so that alone was worth the move. I'd still love to be at Conseco next weekend though, that's for sure.

Kevin Wilkinson

Shishmaref, Alaska

They may actually have more snow in your home land, Crown Point, than you have up there, and this morning it's a blustery  minus 4 in the region!  :)

Back on topic... I flipped the disk for the captains at the start of the match and when I asked the team that won the toss to choose odd or even, they deferred. I advised him that he could not defer, so he chose neutral   ???

My Junior year I was wrestling in the Twin Lakes invite in a consolation match at heavy. I was wrestling a kid from Turkey run I believe, this kid was short and stalky I was 6'3" and around 260 and this kid locks up with me and then takes 1 arm through my legs and picked me up and put me on his shoulders like I was a 103!!!! I had never had this done before and was very shocked as the kid set me down completely under control I said I have never been that effin (but dropped the real f-bomb) high before in my life. Tom LaDow was the official and went to my coach laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes. Only time I have witnessed an official laugh that hard on the mat.

Back on topic... I flipped the disk for the captains at the start of the match and when I asked the team that won the toss to choose odd or even, they deferred. I advised him that he could not defer, so he chose neutral   ???

That is one of the funniest stories I've ever heard.

A random crazy finish to a regional first-round match I remember:

A heavily favored kid in a pairing I'd officiated a few weeks earlier is winning 9-3 with 15 seconds to go.  The kid losing tosses him to his back for a 5 count.  The kid on bottom panics and rams his hands into the top kid's face full throttle.  I stop the match for the illegal hold.  The top guy gets 2 takedown, 4 nearfall, and 1 penalty point to take a 10-9 lead.  There are 2 seconds left and he rides out the win while the favored kid goes home.

Greco Ref can tell this story better than I can, but...

At the Olympic Team Trials there were two seasoned athletes that starting slapping each other with some heavy handed tie-ups right off of the whistle.  The action prompted the official to interrupt the match immediately and warn them both.  The official, feeling very satisfied with his decision, then backed away as if to restart the match.  The most decorated of the two athletes who had listened attentively to the warning looked at the official in the eyes and said, "It ain't a freakin' pillow fight!"

Everytime I see two guys tuning each other up off the whistle I think of that line!  Probably will get a chance to yell that line at Jimtown tonight  ;D

Similar story (on a much lower level):  I was 20 years old officiating sectional in 1998 after having worked only a couple very low-quality varsity duals and a bunch of JV meets all year.  I called an illegal hold on a Franklin kid because of how he ripped on an armbar to take a kid to his back.  Bob Hasseman races to the table, yelling, "wait a second!  this isn't tiddly winks out here!"  Baptism by fire, baby.  I love that guy.

When I was much younger the General would take me with him when he had varsity matches in the Region.  I would do the JV matches. 

The first time I was ever there I called the top man for an illegal cross-face/unnecessary roughness at the start of the second period.  As I started to signal the penalty someone from the crowd behind me yelled, "You ain't gotta call that!"  I actually glanced over to see where it came from b/c it seemed to come from the side of the gym that was with the team that was AWARDED the point.  As I started to get them reset to resume the match I heard the same voice say, "We'll get it back."

At the start of the 3rd period the wrestler that was on bottom and took the blow from the cross-face that I penalized decided to choose top.  To my surprise, when I blew the whistle he lunged forward off his knee and delivered an equally, if not worse, blow with a cross-face to the kid who popped him at the start of the second.  I again began to signal the penalty for the top man when the same voice from behind me yelled, "See!  I told you we'd take care of it..."

Gotta love the Region  :D

Story our coach got from this weekend....

Buzzer above mat goes off, not the clock for that mat.... top wrestler stops wrestling, bottom guy gets up and faces him... ref gives a point.... top guys' coach questions the call, but not really argues...  ref goes to table, comes back and takes point back.  Bottom guys' coach then ask the ref what the heck is going on, the ref says "buzzer interference"  to which c0ach says, " I didn't know that was a rule"...  the ref then replies " It isn't, I just made it up" 

Buzzer interference... now that is a good one coming from a ref who is supposedly qualified to do matches that determine who advances in the state finals.... smokey this is regionals, not nam... there are rules here, there is no oops sorry you stopped the buzzer mustve interfered with your ability to keep wrestling....  no worries, we'll fix it rule.  Am I Wrong?!?

But it made for a good laugh on the way home.  Luckily it didn't cost the kid the match. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.