Upsets??

ontherise219

Are there any upsets in the final weekend before sectionals? I saw Davenport Ben Davis beat Rattay Lawrence north

Wouldn't call it an upset, he got lucky and caught Rattay with a head throw in the last seconds of the match and stuck him!

well thats kind of the definition of an upset

No, an upset is when a guy comes in under the radar and works hard and wins by working hard, like Andrew Rattay did filling in for Robert Boston at 119 today, if you are loosing the whole match till the last 10 seconds and get the pin, thats not an upset, thats plain lucky!

No, an upset is when a guy comes in under the radar and works hard and wins by working hard, like Andrew Rattay did filling in for Robert Boston at 119 today, if you are loosing the whole match till the last 10 seconds and get the pin, thats not an upset, thats plain lucky!

yeah, i think you are severly lacking on the definition of an upset, and you have some sour grapes to air on this board.

yeah, i think you are severly lacking on the definition of an upset, and you have some sour grapes to air on this board.

Yes, I agree, that by definition an upset is anytime a lesser opponent defeats another that is considered to be better.  But, I don't think that the Bed Davis kid won, so much as the LN kid let his guard down and lost.  Thats all I'm trying to say.

Concerning the Davenport and Warner Matches.No luck involved in both of these matches. These were well thought out moves by both wrestlers you have mentioned. There was a set up and an execution that these boys, I am sure, had worked on many times. That is called "preparation". Both boys are just as equally athletic as their "favored" opponent and displayed a never quit attitude that indicated that they were "mentally" always in the match. That is why they won. And Yes they were upsets because the higher ranked wrestler got beat in these matches, by Unranked opponent. So much for ranking. All wrestlers can learn a lot from these two matches. To quote Tony Dungy "No Excuses No Exceptions". Wrestle, Learn and Get Smarter.  

I hate when I see a wrestler I a rooting for get head locked or thrown to his back to lose, but it isn't luck.  Most of the time that is the only way the kid could win.  The wrestler with the lead knows the other guy is going to try it.  The head lock should never happen when you know its coming.  No luck involved in a good head lock...ask Kinser or some other masters of this awesome art.

what was the score of the match when rattay got thrown?

It was a latteral throw not a head lock and it was perfectly executed. The score was something like 9-5 with less than :30 secs. Not real sure. If you know how physical Davenport is ( Exceptional Athlete) you would have seen this coming ,as I did, from the stands.

Davenport only needed a take down to tie the match at the end of the third.  Rattay will be better for the tournament next week due to this loss.  He and the LN staff will make sure of that.

Davenports no chump.  He's beaten 2 ranked opponents and only lost to ranked opponents.  

Again, another guy getting lucky, and sticking a better wrestler who let his guard down...

This kid is the equivalent of Baby Face Nelson of Bonnie & Clyde fame. Don't let the face fool you. This kid is loaded with athletic skill and a wrestlers mantality. NO FEAR and NEVER QUIT!!! Rock a bye Baby........ The Cradle will ROCK!!!! ;)

This kid is the equivalent of Baby Face Nelson of Bonnie & Clyde fame. Don't let the face fool you. This kid is loaded with athletic skill and a wrestlers mantality. NO FEAR and NEVER QUIT!!! Rock a bye Baby........ The Cradle will ROCK!!!! ;)

Agreed.  This isn't the first ranked wrestler that Brock has taken down.  And to boot, he also took #5 Mike Smith in the finals to his back.  He lost 8-12.  Not too shabby for an unranked baby face.  ;D

There you go again the Mofield match was 9-1 Mofield , when the head lock got thrown. Domination by Jeff until  they threw the desperation card.  Too eary in the tournament to throw that because now these wrestlers who had it do to them will not let it happen again.  You will lose next time.  Remember what doesn't kill willl only makes you stronger.

Unfortunately Mofield still makes a few mistakes from time to time. His overall wrestling style has cost him a couple of matches this year. He is not satisfied with a win but continues to aggressively look for the pin. This can sometimes be a bad quality. Not that I dislike this because as wrestlers we should look for the fall, just as in boxing the goal is to knockout your opponent. I know as a wrestler, coach and father I have been displeased with not achieving a fall when I thought that it was within reach. I still need to learn and be happy with any win we get. A 1-0 win is still a win just not in a dominating style.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.