SIAC thoughts so far.

niceshot

Now that we have seen most of the teams in the SIAC what are some predictions now that we know the weights of the studs?

103:

1st Kuhn ®

2nd Vibbert (MD)

3rd Aldridge (N)

4th Brown (CA)

112:

1st Goebel (MD)

2nd Johns ®

3rd Turi (CE)

4th Meiering (CA)

119:

1st Wedding (ME)

2nd Welch (CA)

3rd Van Hook ®

4th Pierre (MD)

125:

1st Moody ®

2nd Henderson (MD)

3rd ??? (CA)

4th Oakley

130:

1st Brown (CA)

2nd Mangold (MD)

3rd Schnarr ®

4th Petrig (ME)

135:

1st Schroeder (MD)

2nd Dowdy ®

3rd Bevers (ME)

4th ???

140:

1st Rueger ®

2nd Lannert (MD)

3rd ???

4th ???

145:

1st Weinzapfel (MD)

2nd Whetstine (ME)

3rd Chamberlain (CE)

4th Appell ®

152:

1st Welch (CA)

2nd Prasek (ME)

3rd Raben (MD)

4th Garnett (CE)

160:

1st Simms (MD)

2nd Welch ®

3rd Campbell (N)

4th ???

171:

1st Brandestein (MD)

2nd King ®

3rd Miles (ME)

4th ???

189:

1st Boots (MD)

2nd Sandwith (ME)

3rd ???

4th ???

215:

1st ???

2nd ???

3rd ???

4th ???

285:

1st Mattingly (ME)

2nd (MD)

3rd ®

4th ???

Mater DEi, Reaitz, Castle, and Memorial will battle it out for the SIAC crown again. I see it being:

MD

ME

CA

R

CE

N

B

H

• 3 weeks later...

i think Wedding and Welch will be tight but i still like Welch

I really dont think Sims will beat Welch at 160. The boy is a monster already and when they hit tournament time Welch is firing on all cylinders. I really wish these two wouldve wrestled at the 5-Way

anybody else have any predictions?

I would think Centrals 140 (B. Kelley) could crack the top four.  I recall he beat the Castle 140 at Mooresville tournament in a close match.

I think Simms over Welch is doubtful at best.  His injury flared up at MD once he faced stiff competition.  He can probably coast past most wrestlers, but Welch is not most wrestlers.  It would have been a tall order if healthy.  They may be on similar skill level, but Welch has more gas in the tank.

My picks with a chance to win.  If I only list one - they're my clear favorite. 

103:  Kuhn R - Vibbert MD

112:  Goebel MD

119:  Wedding ME - Welch CA - VanHook R

125:  Moody R - Henderson MD

130:  Brown CA

135:  Dowdy R - Schroeder MD

140:  Rueger R

145:  Weinzaphel MD - Whetstine ME - Appel R - Chamberlin CE

152:  Welch CA

160:  Welch CA - Simms MD (only if COMPLETELY healthy) 

171:  Brandenstein MD - King R

189:  Boots MD

215:  Schnaar R - Wright MD

285:  VanWinkle MD

Now that looks like the championship of the SIAC. There may be 1 or 2 upsets but that is pretty well the way I see it. and if there is an upset it will be between the ones you have listed.

Kelley from Central wrestled at 130 against Schnarr and lost in a close match. His skill level is very high and good cardio as well. Only thing that will hold him back a little is the fact that he is a freshman. However given his skill set he could do very good up to semi-state maybe beyond but thats a long ways off.

Kelley from Central wrestled at 130 against Schnarr and lost in a close match. His skill level is very high and good cardio as well. Only thing that will hold him back a little is the fact that he is a freshman. However given his skill set he could do very good up to semi-state maybe beyond but thats a long ways off.

lol....man, if we keep lowering this kid's wt. class, he'll be a 12 lber. in a few days!!

I agree.  He has very good skills, especially for a freshman.

I think you are overlooking some very good kids. Johns and possibly even Turi could challenge Goebel for the 112 title.

I agree I overlooked some very good kids.  These are just my picks as the favorites in the weight class.  As far as 112, we could add Johns, Turi, and Mastison in the mix also.  I like several kids on Memorial, most notably Sandwith at 189.  However, I think Boots is a clear favorite.  Could Sandwith win, absolutely!  Same goes for 140, Lannert is definitely capable but I think Rueger is the favorite.............

Obviously, I think 119 and 145 are up for grabs.  My most anticipated match will be Moody and Henderson.

Brendon Kelly has wrestled 130 all year for Ev. Central. His only two losses of the year are Schnarr from Reitz and Chambers from Jasper(Which he later beat). Quality wrestler, with wins over Brown of Castle and Chambers of Jasper. Brendon is the real deal, freshman or not.

Rumor has it Chad Welch hurt an arm and may be out the rest of the year. I personal hope it's not true because he is an outstanding wrestler and young man. Would really suck for this to happen in his senior year! Has anybody else heard this?

Chad Welch is one tough hombre. Broken nose, busted arm, it doesn't matter--he won't make any excuses.  Not too many wrestlers out there as tough as the Welches.

i remember those boys coming into wrestle with the us in high school when they were in 8th grade. You couldnt scare them off then. They are gonna be a force when they are in college.

Now think about how rough its been for Luke Welch growing up with them AND being only 119 haha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.