Super Duals vs. Tournaments

Smooth34

Super Duals vs Tournaments:

Which do you prefer?  Which do you feel is more beneficial?

Please don't make this a class argument.  I understand smaller schools that can't fill an entire lineup probably don't prefer Super Duals where they have to take a lot of forfeits all day.

Not having ever been a coach of a team, I would say that super duals would be better for overall team building and amount of matches for all kids on your team, but that tournaments would be better for the studs on your team to get them ready for the state series.

Not having ever been a coach of a team, I would say that super duals would be better for overall team building and amount of matches for all kids on your team, but that tournaments would be better for the studs on your team to get them ready for the state series.

Actually, a tournament can be beneficial for the weaker guys as well.  Let's them know that, say 6th place still scores points and can still help the team in the overall. 

Trinedad hit it on the head.  They both obviously serve a purpose that is good for your team.

Super Duals offer more mat time for everyone on ythe team which equal more experiance for each individual.

Tournaments get your individual wrestlers more comfortable and prepared for what the state tournament series will be like.  The talented ones get top notch mat time against a few more good kids than can fit in a normal Super Dual.  The lesser skilled kids don't get much time but at after the first round they may face at least somone closer to their level before being done.  The guys who mess up early on learn even if individually they may not have had the best day they can still help their team score points in each round of wrestle backs..

Each team will be different in which they may need more of and when they need each in their schedule during the season.

A perfect schedule would have a nice mixture of both....

I second this.  I personally feel super dual after super dual can get monotonous for wrestlers, coaches, officials, and fans (tourneys are typically much more engaging and climactic as a viewer).  It's nice to have a mix of both on your schedule...for all the reasons outlined above by others. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.