Reasons for a class system for team state

youngone

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I didn't care about it, I wrestled in the system that was presented to me and had no control over things like class, wrestlebacks, who my coaches were, etc..  I have stated in the past I was a single class supporter through and through until coaching at Northrop(2000 students) and Garrett(550 students).  I have also stated as a competitor I love the single class format, but as someone that cares about the sport as a whole I see a class format as something that would be good for the sport.

I do understand where you're coming from. We all better hope that we still have wrestling teams in the near future. Budget cuts suck. The only reason I asked about Wilks is I would imagine he would tell you what you wouldn't want to hear.

I do understand where you're coming from. We all better hope that we still have wrestling teams in the near future. Budget cuts suck. The only reason I asked about Wilks is I would imagine he would tell you what you wouldn't want to hear.

Jimtown, Y2 would counter Wilk by saying that Wilk wrestled and coached at two large schools. However, he did wrestle at the tiny little university called Anderson Univeristy (Anderson College back then). That isn't a knock on the school though, I went there myself.

Out of curiosity, why do you think Wilk would be a supporter of single class wrestling? I personally have no idea what he would think.

The only reason I asked about Wilks is I would imagine he would tell you what you wouldn't want to hear.

Many large school coaches agree that class wrestling would be a positive development.  Wilk went to a large school and coached at an even larger school so it wouldn't be a huge suprise if hadn't thought a whole lot about wrestling at small schools.

I wouldn't mind discussing it with him, it would be fun.  When I on a rare occasion have been interviewed I try to be professional and not start a fight with the interviewer.

Yeah Northrop has all the advantages thats why they finished below Whitko, Bishop Dwenger, Churubusco, Columbia City, Garrett, amd Carrol.  All of which are smaller then Northrop.  Garrett the last two year (at least) were better then any Northrop team you were a part of.  You make stuff up.

Jimtown, Y2 would counter Wilk by saying that Wilk wrestled and coached at two large schools. However, he did wrestle at the tiny little university called Anderson Univeristy (Anderson College back then). That isn't a knock on the school though, I went there myself.

Out of curiosity, why do you think Wilk would be a supporter of single class wrestling? I personally have no idea what he would think.

I beat him too it.  Does Henry feel cheated because he was not able to compete against the big boys in college?

I doubt he does.

I beat him too it.  Does Henry feel cheated because he was not able to compete against the big boys in college?

I doubt he does.

No one who goes to Anderson would ever feel cheated for anything. Cause AU is that AWESOME!!!!!  ;)

It is easy to set back and say no to class wrestling and ignore the problem or claim no problem exist. So I offer an option.

Obviously the IHSAA would have to approve. As they would with Class wrestling.

If a small school has or wants to have a wrestling program but does not have the support via funding or numbers. It petitions the IHSAA for a "Joiner Waiver" (call it what you want).  If approved the IHSAA assigns the school a partner school for a period of time, say 3-5 years. The Partner school must be geographically close and have a Wrestling program itself.

The small school uses it's existing funding to set up a transportation system (school system 15 passenger van or short bus) and provides transportation to the partner school for practice and events. Also, pays the fee for an assistant Coach chose jointly by the Partner and small school. And provides singlets.

Wrestlers from the small school are full members of the Partner school's team. They practice , and compete as full members. However, they wear the colors of their school.

So Eastern Green County partners with Bloomington South. If a EG team member earns a varsity spot or wrestles JV the points go to South but they wear a Eastern Green County Singlet.

Effect-

High level competition for small school wrestlers

Exposure for school- If you win at any level you win in the small school singlet

Access for family friends of EG wrestlers to access a club for local young members

Lower cost for small school

Increased involvement will come with exposure and individual success

Program can build on the success of larger school

Once the 3-5 year time period is up the small school can assess if it has the makings of an individual program or request a 2nd waiver.

Hey you can pick this apart but it will obtain each goal that you on the class wrestling side have stated.

Thoughts?

How would this help the overall participation numbers?  I am curious how this would help get more kids out for the sport if they have to go way above and beyond what the other sports in the school have to do to participate.  Also, how does having less varsity positions help get more kids out for the sport.  Addition by subtraction is not the way to do it.

Here is a general breakdown of costs of gasoline and someone to drive the bus.

1-Nov-09 Start date

2/15/2010 End Date

106 Days

30.28571429 subtract weekends

76 Total days

76 hours of driving(30 mins each way)

227 hours of driving plus hours at practice(2 per day)

$1,817.14 Pay for a driver at $8 an hour

151 hours of driving for two trips per day, to drop off or pick up

$1,211.43 Pay for a driver at $8 an hour

20 miles per trip one way

25 miles per gallon

1.6 Gallons per day

121 Gallons total

$363.43 Total Cost at $3 a gallon

$1,574.86 Total Cost

$2,180.57 Total Cost

It would be between $1500-2000 to pull this off and that is as much as some small school's coaching budget for wrestling.

Umm seeing as Anderson would more than likely get hammered by any D1 program in every sport except maybe baseball, I think they are ok with it ;-) Anderson isn't really known for it's athletics.

Oh wait our rugby club defeated the Notre Dame Rugby club a few years back

Stupid arguement.  College is classed by talent.  You may call me out and get technical, but when it boils down to it the best in the sport get picked up by D1 schools.  

I was being silly with my posts btw, but on a somewhat serious not, anderson is a D3 college, so not only are they smaller than many D1 colleges, they also are not allowed to offer "athletic scholarships." However, any other scholarship which might only be available to give to athletes but not called an "athletic scholarship" is allowed. ;-)

Umm seeing as Anderson would more than likely get hammered by any D1 program in every sport except maybe baseball, I think they are ok with it ;-) Anderson isn't really known for it's athletics.

Oh wait our rugby club defeated the Notre Dame Rugby club a few years back

Why can't they compete? The tennis court is the same size in D3 and D1? The golf course is the same for D3 and D1. 

Ahh now you have stepped into a bad realm Y2,

D3's really can not compete with D1's for 3 reasons

1) Athletic Scholarships are not legal ;-)

2) Practice and training time for D3's is limited much more than D1

3) Recruiting, most d3 colleges can not even compete with NAIA schools when it comes to recruiting athletes. Why? Because NAIA schools can offer scholarships, NCAA d3 is not "allowed" to.

(BTW, number 3 was straight from the horses mouth of a D3 VB coach)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.