Oliver Richmond and the 2 second takedown

theckman

Sounds like the title of a great wrestling story, doesn't it?

"I don't disagree that it is unlikely a takedown will happen but it can happen, as I posted earlier on this topic, I am pretty sure Oliver Richmond scored a takedown in the state finals with 2 seconds left, starting in the neutral position.  Can someone confirm the Oliver Richmond situation, I am really curious.  Thank you."

Since the topic where this comment was posted is locked, I'll respond here.  I remember seeing that match also.  I thought it was a reversal but maybe I'm wrong (Lord knows I'm wrong often enough).  In the 1985 state tournament, Oliver Richmond of Ft. Wayne Elmhurst defeated Tom Magiera of Merrillville 7-5 (thank you, TAE, for your book).  I remember the score being tied with very little time on the clock.  The whistle blew and the next thing you knew, Richmond was on top of Magiera, scoring the winning points.  I think all the air was sucked out of MSA as the entire crowd gasped in amazement.  Not sure I've ever seen anyone move that fast since then.

I can remember it like it I can remember what I had for dinner 2 1/2 weeks ago.....(I don't remember what I had last night) I was thinking it was at New Castle.  I guess this is how stories change over time...haha.  I was thinking they started neutral and at the whistle Magiera took a shot and Richmond just jumped around behind and got the take down.  One of the most amazing state finals I ever saw.........I think...haha.

My details are fuzzy but along the same lines I remember at one the middle rounds of state a few years back a quick tilt for backpoints to win/tie the match up.  I can not recall who it was but basically the top guy had 1 second to start getting back exposure after teh refs restart whistle in order to get the points needed to win/tie the match.  I was watching the match thinking  "their is no way this kids is getting the turn let along the backpoints from that top position."  However, he somehow managed to jump sides, suprise his opponent with the move, and pulled his opponent into a tilt so quickly that he got the point needed.    Quickest turn for points I had ever seen.

My details are fuzzy but along the same lines I remember at one the middle rounds of state a few years back a quick tilt for backpoints to win/tie the match up.  I can not recall who it was but basically the top guy had 1 second to start getting back exposure after teh refs restart whistle in order to get the points needed to win/tie the match.  I was watching the match thinking  "their is no way this kids is getting the turn let along the backpoints from that top position."  However, he somehow managed to jump sides, suprise his opponent with the move, and pulled his opponent into a tilt so quickly that he got the point needed.    Quickest turn for points I had ever seen.

I believe the tilt in question was done by Nick Hobbs (Beech Grove) to beat Jeremy Brown (Fremont) 6-5.... story I have is there was 2 or 3 tics left and Hobbs was down 5-4, hit the tilt and got the 2 count as time expired

Sounds like the title of a great wrestling story, doesn't it?

"I don't disagree that it is unlikely a takedown will happen but it can happen, as I posted earlier on this topic, I am pretty sure Oliver Richmond scored a takedown in the state finals with 2 seconds left, starting in the neutral position.  Can someone confirm the Oliver Richmond situation, I am really curious.  Thank you."

Since the topic where this comment was posted is locked, I'll respond here.  I remember seeing that match also.  I thought it was a reversal but maybe I'm wrong (Lord knows I'm wrong often enough).  In the 1985 state tournament, Oliver Richmond of Ft. Wayne Elmhurst defeated Tom Magiera of Merrillville 7-5 (thank you, TAE, for your book).  I remember the score being tied with very little time on the clock.  The whistle blew and the next thing you knew, Richmond was on top of Magiera, scoring the winning points.  I think all the air was sucked out of MSA as the entire crowd gasped in amazement.  Not sure I've ever seen anyone move that fast since then.

It was the year that the State Finals were held in New Castle due to the them being postponed the week before because of a state wide blizzard.  It was actually brought up twice Sunday at MS State.  I think once when I was talking to Tont Abbott who was in those Finals, and the other time with Chris Lynch when I jokingly mentioned that if we got all of the snow they were predicting we might be able to have the finals here again.  When I mentioned it Chris said, "Two second takedown."  I remember I was simply amazed at the quicknees of Oliver Richmond's movement.

I believe the tilt in question was done by Nick Hobbs (Beech Grove) to beat Jeremy Brown (Fremont) 6-5.... story I have is there was 2 or 3 tics left and Hobbs was down 5-4, hit the tilt and got the 2 count as time expired

Thanks.  I don't recall it being Hobbs, but it may have been since he was one of the wrestler I would have made a point to watch during the course of the days matches.

myself,  never qualified for state, went on to wrestle JUCO, usually was a mat mop and  2 and BBQ at most the tourneys I wrestled at. at a home triple dual, I wrestled a kid who was a state placer in Kansas, who had beaten my brother (2 time SQ). we were back abd forth all over the mat..... 4 seconds to go, and we were neutral, Im down by 1.  All I remember is my coach saying "D@mn it Josh, if you do anything this season, beat this kid" or something along those lines (I think my only wins to that point were forfeits). We stepped to the line, I shoot on the whistle, this diving Shoe lace double, stepped up to a tight waisted duckunder.... needless to say the few remaining fans went ape, and I had my sportscenter highlight. The Kansas State wrestler went on finish 5th in the nation that season (NCWA). I told my coach after the season, and after seeing the kid had been a AA, and after being blasted every match after that, inclding two TFs at Regionals, that maybe we should reconsider dropping to a club program, maybe we could have had some AAs and a Natl Champ. But At least I beat that kid  :-\ :)

My details are fuzzy but along the same lines I remember at one the middle rounds of state a few years back a quick tilt for backpoints to win/tie the match up.  I can not recall who it was but basically the top guy had 1 second to start getting back exposure after teh refs restart whistle in order to get the points needed to win/tie the match.  I was watching the match thinking  "their is no way this kids is getting the turn let along the backpoints from that top position."  However, he somehow managed to jump sides, suprise his opponent with the move, and pulled his opponent into a tilt so quickly that he got the point needed.    Quickest turn for points I had ever seen.

Was it Salas/McGinley on Friday night in 2005?  For some reason I am remembering that as Salas winning at the last second.  

I was thinking of that match the other day, must have been the snow. It was 1985 at New Castle. Somehow the score was tied, they went out of bounds and came back to center with about 2 seconds left. Oliver hit a duckunder and came up with his finger pointed up in the #1 position. Everyone thought it was going overtime and it ended in a flash.

Another great match was when the team title came down to the match between Bellmont and Cathedral. If I remember right Paul Gunset of Bellmont cut the Cathedral kid late in the match several times to tie it and then as time was running out cut him again for the takedown to win the individual as well as Team State title. That was when we still kept team score on the big scoreboard(at MSA) and everyone knew what was going on. Too bad we still don't score individual state like the old days. In fact I think the 1985 title came down to the finals match between the kid from Delta and the kid from Muncie South.

Another great match was when the team title came down to the match between Bellmont and Cathedral. If I remember right Paul Gunset of Bellmont cut the Cathedral kid late in the match several times to tie it and then as time was running out cut him again for the takedown to win the individual as well as Team State title. That was when we still kept team score on the big scoreboard(at MSA) and everyone knew what was going on.

My memory is fuzzy, but I think Gunsett beat Sean McGinley something like 8-5, with Gunsett having 4 takedowns and McGinley having 5 escapes.  The match was for the 1988 team title and was set up by Paul Baker's last-second granby/peterson for the win over Tony Abbott the match before.  

If you're sure you were thinking of a Bellmont guy, you might be thinking of Greg Krider's match in the quarterfinals in 1987.  He let a guy up with around 10 seconds left in a tie match to get the go-ahead takedown.  

Kudos to Coach Harmon, that's some amazing memory there. When you hear people talk about the fastest this or that in wrestling, time seems to embellish some memories.  Elmhurst started to return wrestlers back to the state tournament in the late 90's-early 00's  so when Coach Sherbondy asked, "You guys want to see what is probably the fastest takedown ever in a State finals match?" we were skeptical.  He dusted off the tape around Semi-State/State week and sure enough he did not lie to us.  The old timers are right, it was literally one of the fastest takedowns I have seen at ANY level.  Heck, I was just telling my buddy last week that I thought I remembered it was a snap down, but Coach Harmon's description is correct.  Imagine a duckunder so quick it looked like a snapdown, finger point and all. Man I love this time of year!!

I was thinking of that match the other day, must have been the snow.

It would be nice to keep a running Coaches Trophy top ten posted at the end of each round on the central TV.  I think it would add a little more to the days activities even if it thoses scores are not officially counted towards the Team Championships.

I think it would aslo be nice to have up on the central TV a scrolling list of the kids who have won throughout the day so fans can keep up with who is advancing.  They would just need to update the list as the day goes on. 

For a super fan friendly idea I always thought it would be nice to post the name of the kids wrestling in each match and the colors (red/green) they are for easier identification.  Not a running score but just an identification, but to me that would still be a good amount of work to keep up with compared to the other two suggestions.

Was it Salas/McGinley on Friday night in 2005?  For some reason I am remembering that as Salas winning at the last second.  

Salas won that match in OT on a penalty point.  Full nelson if I recall correctly.  cbarnett may have the answer to that cause I think he was officiating.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.