State Final Memories

My favorite would probably have to be the decisive 7th match of the Eric McGill/Brennan Cosgrove saga in the 2007 state finals. The two were split evenly at 3 a piece heading into the match under the lights when announcer Kevin Whitehead delivered a line something like "call it game 7 of the world series"

there are so many moments and matches... the Wright/Eppert Trilogy... watching returniung state champs the year before get beat on friday... The 3 years of Dominance of Andrew Howe.. But my fav match was at my 1st trip to conceco when David Zimmer wrestled Caleb Scmitt the best match i ever saw and has motivated me for a while as well as my younger brothers

Caleb Schmitt match was awesome  for me as well.  Watched it from their family's suite.  He had a great career, but tough luck in the tournament every year.  Two older brothers that wrestled were in there and to see the family get to experience this was unbelievable.  We met the Zimmer family afterward and they were great people.  I remember that he beat a sophomore Sandefur earlier in the day and said that he would win a state championship.  Caleb had never placed at State and won the championship.

Caleb Schmitt match was awesome  for me as well.  Watched it from their family's suite.  He had a great career, but tough luck in the tournament every year.  Two older brothers that wrestled were in there and to see the family get to experience this was unbelievable.  We met the Zimmer family afterward and they were great people.  I remember that he beat a sophomore Sandefer earlier in the day and said that he would win a state championship.  Caleb had never placed at State and won the championship.

I was actually in the same suite as some of Zimmers family/friends during his times at state.  I found myself cheering for him by association the first time through.  It was hard to watch him fall short his senior year, but afterward he took it in stride and was rightfully awarded the Mental Attitude award at the end of the competition. 

Going to the state finals with my dad for 18 of the last 20 years. The best were in Market Square when we would go over to the market and get some food. I always got out of school a half day to go down with him and the wrestlers, when there were some to take, and I felt cool hanging out with high school guys. Looking back they must have thought I was just some annoying little kid who was so excited he never stopped talking.

Oh man, too many to remember them all. I don't know if I can do them all justice. Here are a few that stand out...

MD's Greg Schaefer- his two titles and his epic battles with Vega

Happe vs McDonald for like the 100th time

Hardy PR finally beats Willams HA

Jankowski loses to Tabor, then avenges the loss at Team State

Watching Mitch Napier pin a dude in a cradle that had his OWN leg in it!

Fryar's throw to beat Wagner

MD's run of champs in 03

Ruggerri's run of throws on his way to a title

Hobbs (BG) hit a tilt as time expired to advance

And how about the longest name in State Finals history...Sunungura Rusunungukooo!!! Whitehead LOVED saying his name!

I agree that MSA will hold a warm place in my heart. I loved that place! (Remember when shaved ice was $1.75?)

Too many to to recall I love this sport.

I remember going to MSA to watch my older brother, who was the first state qualifier from our high school, wrestle his final match of his high school career.  He lost to Marty Troiani from Terre Haute  South who went on to win it all that year.  I also remember watching David Palmer from Delta put on a clinic during the whole tournament.  That guy was a total beast.

Watching Ray Shepard from Western win his state title.  He had a sweet trow at the end to win it.

I also remember going to the finals to watch my teammates compete.  One was undefeated going in and was winning his first match by at least 10 pts and got to high and got stuck.  The champ that year in his weight had two losses.  Both to him.

My first ever state championship experience was i believe 94-95 when Matt Deters of Castle won it against Mater Dei, he did a back flip afterwards.  I still get chills thinking about the atmosphere at MSA I will always remember it.  That is when I really fell in love with Castle wrestling and wrestling in general.

Eric Keith from Portage in 2OT with 2 seconds left goes out of bounds.  Then when they come back to center, he bolts out and get the escape to win state.  It's why you pay for the 2 day pass every year! 

What about the chills we all got when Jason Cook finally got to the top of the podium with a win? 

Portage folks got chills when Eric Keith finally got to the top of the podium!  Amazingly, he was ranked #1 his first three years of high school and lost friday night.  He finally got it done, and I don't think he was even ranked #1 that season!   That's the best example my coaches have ever used to explain that the rankings don't mean squat!!

Delbert Parham's progession to a State Championship.  I was a junior high student watching my first  Wrestling State Finals.  Delbert's physical appearance made him one of the most unlikely individuals to appear in a State finals event let alone win it all.  He had one weapon, a mean farside cradle.

My best memory of the state finals is my overtime victory over Aaron Sessa, i was just on fire that day techfalling cosgrove in route to the championship.

i am sure that if i were you those would be my favorite memories of state too! 

be careful over there williams!

my top three memories

1)Gavin McGinley vs Young and me telling my family im gonna be the first state champ McGinley

2)When Reece Humphrey was break dancing on his head

3) When Angel Escabedo got taken down his senior year and everybody stood up in Conseco i couldn't see anything everyone was in my way 

Last year, during the 112 finals Kieffer vs Hawkins. I was sitting with Kieffers dad Kevin and when Josh just about had a  take down to win it I about tackled him, Sorry Kevin ;D I will be ready for some more of the excitement from the boy's.  P.S Hope you guy's have been brushing up on your ping pong skills I am ready for a rematch.  Best match I have ever seen!!

Could you be a little more specific?

Lafayette Jeff ?

Bloomington ?

Southport ?

Market Square Arena ?

New Castle ?

Conseco Fieldhouse ?

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

ANSEWER !

Three parts.

1. The fist one I saw

2. The last one I saw.

3. The next one I see.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Hope to see you all Feb  19th

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.