What happened to you? You used to be garbage, but you're lookin' pretty hot now.

maligned

Turnarounds.

What causes them?  Is it coaching?  Do new, talented kids move in?  Does it just go in cycles?  

I'd love to hear from some of the programs that are currently rated well in the Indianamat.com rankings or the Genius ratings that have seen a revival in their programs recently.  How did it happen?  Tell us your secrets!  Here are 5 that were dogs at least for a period (or always were), but are at about the strongest point I can remember them for  8-10 years or more:

Jeffersonville

Roncalli

Huntington North

Munster

Pike

Now, obviously some of these teams had success some years back--but they all experienced significant dips or have always been "middle-of-the-pack."  What happened to you?  Why do you look so good now?

I have to say in so many cases it is simply a matter of putting the right coach in place.   I never believed that until I watched so many schools fall apart when X left, and then they found the right man with the character, understanding, modesty, and belief to make a strong program.  I have rarely seen a coach do poor at one school, then create a powerhouse at another.  BUT I have seen a coach create a powerhouse at one school, move another, and then create another pwerhouse out of nothing.  I guess we can all remember coaches with all the  credentials in the world who led programs down the drain too. 

Coaching has had a definite impact on most of the schools listed.  The biggest impact is most likely the off season investments of those coaches.

I've also seen coaches who couldn't build a program at one school and then have success at another.  Communities have a personality and sometimes it takes finding a coach whose personality matches the community.  I think that's why you see a lot of coaches going "home" to build successful programs.

At Roncalli I think it is mostly attributed to the coaching (the Kieffers migh have helped some LOL), and it has as much or more to do with the time that those coaches put in building the club program as it does teaching the current wrestlers. The amount of time and dedication put forth there amazes me.

Speaking about Pike since i have watched the develop the last few years since I moved here they all seem to have been working hard in the room coach spence has been building up this class for the last 4 or 5 years just getting kids that are dedicated I think that D'marcus making it to the state finals last year is what got a lot of these kids believing in what the coaches are doing have made them bust their butts to get an keep something good going around the middle schools also are starting to get good feeder programs now

I will attempt to make it short, if coach Ellis hears me giving any secrets away I will hear it. At Roncalli I think its a combination of factors. My phrase I love to refer to is " Success breeds Success". Surround yourself with good people.  At Roncalli, the main ingredient is dedication.

I will attempt to make it short, if coach Ellis hears me giving any secrets away I will hear it. At Roncalli I think its a combination of factors. My phrase I love to refer to is " Success breeds Success". Surround yourself with good people.  At Roncalli, the main ingredient is dedication.

How True ;)

I would say Penn has to be in this list too. A couple of years ago they weren't all that good, and now they have become a powerhouse. I would attribute the change to new coaching. Coach Harper has done great work over there. I look to see them continuing to improve as a program in years to come.

I wasn't really looking that far back Y2. I only meant that recently as in the past few years since Harper has been aboard that i have noticed a significant improvement in the team. More so in just watching the way in which their guys wrestle. Every kid seems to have that "go getter" mentality. Not gonna see a lot of stalling out of those guys. Just fun to watch. I could be wrong though. I only see Penn at Al Smith and Semi state. Anyone else agree with me?

DGelarden at Munster started a club program about 10 years ago.  He and his assistant coaches have put in countless hours over the past 10 years, much of it on a volunteer basis,  to build the program.  Ten years of work are now paying off with their 3rd straight sectional title and all 14 wrestlers through to the regionals.

I agree that alot of success comes with the coaches. I've seen alot of changes cause of that. Examples Snider and Northrop were good in the late 80's and early 90's and now thay struggle to win duals. Eastside had a good program during the same time period and they now can barely have a full squad. Columbia City also fell into the category of not being that great than Coach Kirby changed that program around and now that he is gone they fell to that category again, but could come up again so I mean no disrespect to the new coach. Also during that time Garrett was in that category, but look at them now. It's about good coaching and what they teach not to mention the respect they get from their kids. I believe feeder programs play some but I lean more towards having a good coach that can motivate that kid to push to reach for something the kid don't realize he has. That's just my opinion as I'm sure everyone has their own on this subject.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.