Poor decision

anchorwrestler

Saturday at the East Noble Inv., tourney directors allowed a #1 seed that was overweight, move up to the next weight. They rearranged the  original weight class, but not the new weight class. He was placed in his schools spot against the # 3 seed at new weight and his teammate was not allowed to wrestle. Fair or unfair

Depends on what the tournament rules said about moving wrestlers.  But it may just show unorganization between weigh-ins and starting more than anything else.  These type of problem are usually addressed and taken care of in pre-event coaches meeting, but I'm sure sometimes issues like this slip by if someone isn't looking over everything closely.

This would never happen with our team.  Our team rules state that if a wrestler fails to make weight he not only will not wrestle at that event he will run 30 laps as punishment.  If he fails to make weight a second time he is forced to move up to the next weight class at the lowest rung on the ladder. 

I think this is an issue of discipline more than that of fairness.

Saturday at the East Noble Inv., tourney directors allowed a #1 seed that was overweight, move up to the next weight. They rearranged the  original weight class, but not the new weight class. He was placed in his schools spot against the # 3 seed at new weight and his teammate was not allowed to wrestle. Fair or unfair

His teammate would have been overweight also if he went down to the vacant class, correct? Or are you thinking the teammate should have been able to go up a weight class also? Sounds like the stud was overweight and should have been taught a lesson, but that's just my opinion...

Here is what happened.

Coach A told his kids they got an extra 2lbs allowance for the tournament.  Coach B called Coach C(the coach of the host team) and said we couldn't have practice on Friday, we should get the extra pound.  Get to the tournament and no one knows anything, Coach C did not relay the message to the other teams.  So after long discussion they gave all the kids 1lb.  Coach A still had some kids overweight(obviously). 

Now to the other issue.  Coach A's #1 seed was overweight, he was then allowed to bump up and be unseeded.  He ended up winning the tournament. 

Also note that this tournament does not have a formal seeding meeting. 

Our coach was told at the coaches meeting "we want everyone to wrestle". What about his teammate, what about a seeded wrestler not supposed to be able to change weights, tournament officials allowed it to happen

I guess it means if the kid is good let him wrestle, if he is not, who cares.  As a coach, you need to punish each kid the same.

But wasn't the wrestler in question underweight by the information that was given to him by his coach? The way I understand it, the coach told him you get two pounds, and they only got one. Is this the case? It's hard to punish a kid if he went by the info his coach gave him. I'm not familiar with the situation or if he would have made weight with the extra pound.

Ya, I definitely understand the problem. I was just pointing out that if a kid is told you have to make 173, and he makes 172.8 for example, it's not all his fault. The coaches and tournament directors have got to communicate better because someone gets the short end, even though both wrestlers followed the rules as explained to them.

Everyone was given an extra pound plus the states 2 lb allowance, wrestler in question was 1 lb over that. where they thought an extra 2lbs was allowed nobody knows. Anyway the 3 seed lost to him first round, and still finished 3rd. Still not the point, fair is fair. They seed their own tourney and have guidelines, but don't always hold true to them.

Ya, I definitely understand the problem. I was just pointing out that if a kid is told you have to make 173, and he makes 172.8 for example, it's not all his fault. The coaches and tournament directors have got to communicate better because someone gets the short end, even though both wrestlers followed the rules as explained to them.

We were in a similar situation last year where the weigh change was not communicated correctly.  We agreed through the event host allow all the teams the 2 pounds since according to the rules that should have occured.  If that is the same case they should have just agreed to an extra 2-pounds across the board and whoever doesn't make weight doesn't make it.  If on the other hand the 2 pound should not have been give and the coach incorrectly made the judgement without talking to the event host then they would just need to deal with the weight problem.  If the event says a seeded wrestler can not be moved then per the rule they would have to deal with that in the case of the coach being at fault in my view.

I don't know if it fair or unfair, I do know that when I wrestled if you didn't make weight you didn't wrestle.  In fact if you wern't within 1 pound the morning of a match the coach automatically took you off the roster for that event.  My coach wasn't going to be humiliated by having his wrestlers run before weigh ins.  Maybe that wasn't fair but it did create discipline and we never had anyone not make wt.  By the way my coach wrestled at Yale and his only loss his senior year was to a man named Mike Sheets of Oklahoma State whom eventually wonn the NCAA"S that year.

I think it is wrong. Its not fair to the wrestler who worked all week and made the weight. There coach is saying that one  kid is more important than the other and that is wrong. It doesnt matter how good you are, that good wrestler should show  some dedication to the sport and most of all to his team and team mates.

Hmm, sounds like a tough situation. I mean if it was lack of communication between the tournament officials and the coach of the team, then I can understand letting the wrestler bump up, especially if no formal seeding meeting was allowed. I mean if what Y2 said is true, then it as hardly the kids fault and I could see him being allowed to wrestle.

Now, IMO (which means nothing) I think individual style tournaments should tell teams to fax them their roster a few days before the tournament, and barring a doctor's note, the people you enter are the people who have to wrestle that tournament. I remember as a wrestler their was nothing more annoying that waiting over an hour after the tournament was supposed to start to begin wrestling. And yes, I am pretty sure some of the Mishawaka Invitational re-bracketings took over an hour to redo on the morning of the tournament. Atleast it seemed that way.

As for coaches keeping their kids on weight, my hs coach went by this philosophy and handled it this way. He wasn't going to watch you and make sure if you made weight personally. However, if you challenge for the spot the day before, and win it, and then can not make weight for the meet/tournament the following day, say goodbye to that weight class the rest of the year. As far as I can remember we never had anyone who couldn't make weight at weigh-ins. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.