Cathedral @ Perry Meridian - Wednesday, January 13th

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that's a shocker! Not that Cooper won, but it sounds like he won pretty handily. HUGE swing match.

Could have somethin to do with Buchanen reportedly weighing in @ 245 few weeks ago... Maybe the cut took it out of him, i think this was first time he made 215.

I am not sure how far they will move up.

I have a hard time moving them past Roncalli and Reitz after they lost to both of them over the holidays. I know it was an individual tournament, but they still have the loss to Lawrence North, but I am thinking they were missing a few guys in their lineup that day. Someone help me out.

They have losses to Portage, LN, Reitz, Roncalli, and PM.

Best team that they have defeated is a tossup between Munster, Westfield, HSE, and North Central.

I have absolutely no idea where Cathedral belongs in the Top 20.

Toss out any information that may help me out.

This was a great dual match. Buchanan was at 215 last weekend at North Central. That was the biggest win of the night for Perry in my opinion. I am still shocked at how bad he beat Buchanan. Lots of strategy involved. I was looking forward to a Harvey McKinley match which didn't happen. Willis is an absolute beast of a wrestler. I think he is going to be giving McMurray a run for his money this year. Gillum looked good down at 135 for Cathedral. Oskins was a very small 140 for cathedral....he wrestled well and almost didnt get pinned. Johnson looked pretty solid. Smart move on Cathedrals part to ff to Tonte. Neighbarger wrestled well and got a big win for the Irish. Cathedral wrestled well and made the match a lot closer than I thought it would be. Again a great match. Can't wait for Roncalli vs Cathedral next week!!

Really good matches    Catherdal bumping kids around  really helped them out.Gillium looked real good at 35  Harvey looked big at 19  Neidbarger did well wrestled smart at 60  Willis is just throwing people to their back and with his strenght is holding them down  Andre a close match Logan Cooper did real well against Buchanon putting him on his back  Venezia and Bova was a good one Bova rode him out for about a period and a half but in ot venezia hit a pretty quick takedown  Mckinley wrestled very well

What a great dual. Perry is a smidge deeper than Cathedral right now. Congrats to the Falcons on a hard fought win.

The Good:

* McKinley, Bova, Cooper, Johnson, Venezia, Harvey, Gillum, Neibarger, Willis, Stringfield

* The crowd - I would guess somewhere close to 500. A damn good Wednesday night crowd. Regular crowd shuffles in.

* Coach McGinley couldn't have crafted a better gameplan. Cathedral had Perry on the ropes from the start.

* Perry's alumni - not very pretty, but a nice group. Get Frank Hammond, Gill Journey, and the Dibberns and you have quite a wolfpack.

* Perry's numbers - Must have had 70 participants in uniforms.

* Cathedral's underclassmen - best in the state. 6 of their top 7 weights are frosh and soph.

The Bad:  

* Not getting to see Jacob Tonte wrestle. Strategy and a good one. But, always want to see the action from a rock star like Tonte Jr.

* The freaking color guard/synchronized gymnastics between J/V and varsity matches. Disgusting.  

* The lighting. If you are going to dim the lights for effect, make sure you know how the gym lights work.

* The clock. If you have problems with your own clock operator, don't bitch about it. Fix it.  

* Men in Black. Coach's Black shirt, black tie, black pants. At least get the blacks to be match, gents. You can do it.

* Cathedral's JV team. Not ever very relevant, but damn. What an ass whipping.

* Coach Pleak's hair. Not sure how you have a wife.

The 215 match was what decided it. Hats off to a nice victory by Cooper. Big fall by Gillum at 135 for Cathedral. Big fall by Johnson at 140 for Perry. Big win for frosh Neibarger over the senior at 160. Big win for Venezia over Bova. Can't ask for more than 7 - 7 heads-up.

And for Cathedral's #17 ranking, that is fine. This is the second outing for the full squad at weight. You can take the Connersville loss and see if we can avenge it next week. Roncalli vs. Cathedral next Wednesday, January 20th at CHS. Then, one last showdown with the foot stomping, mustache-bash in Bloomington to see if we are worthy of a top 5 -10 ranking for the tourney. We are young as hell, but improving drastically.

Congrats, Perry. Hope we see you again at CG.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.