Cathedral @ Perry Meridian - Wednesday, January 13th

With the weekend competition over, it seems that the time is right to discuss the meet of the year in Indianapolis coming to us this Wednesday, January 13th between the County Champion, Perry Meridian, and the City Champion, Cathedral Irish.

Facing the #2 team in the state of Indiana in their own gym with a capacity crowd, it looks to be an insurmountable task for the Irish. With the If You Ever Wrestled for Perry Meridian Million Man March, the histrionics of the blow-up doll/daunting Falcon, and the overall class exhibited by our southside brethren, how could the Irish ever feel we could compete.

The youth of the Irish and our #17 state ranking should be a sizable disadvantage to the juggernaut that is the Perry Meridian program. Despite the glaring defeat to the Mishawaka Cavemen today and the potential subsequent drop in the rankings, I would suspect that the Irish are just hoping to be competitive with the powder blue. If anyone has some match-ups that they think are worthy to compare, please feel free to itemize the massacre this Wednesday. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cathedral definitely has the upper hand in this match-up. The Irish have beaten the Falcons the past 2 years and seem to have their number. The Irish sport 11 city champions compared to only 4 county champs for Perry Meridian.That, combined with the humbling loss to Mishawaka may prove to be too much for the weary Falcons to overcome. It should be a great dual meet (as it has been the past 2 years), but in the end it just seems like a very tall mountain to climb for the Falcons.

Well played, Thornton.

So, anyone have any thoughts on these marquee match-ups?

103 - Bova vs. Venezia

112 - McKinley vs. Harvey

140 - Johnson vs. Gillum

152 - Tonte vs. Neibarger

Stud v. Stud. Should be the difference makers in the dual . .

103 Venezia cath (dec)

112 Mckinley pm (dec)

119 clem pm (fall)

125 simmons pm (dec)

130 stringfield cath (dec)

135 harris pm (dec)

140 johnson pm (dec)

145 harz pm (dec)

152 tonte pm (fall)

160 willis cath (fall)

171 cath ???? (fall) pending cj status

189 richards pm (dec)

215 cooper pm (dec)

289 buchanan cath (fall)

perry meridian 33

cathedral 24

just my opinion should be a great dual though

Cathedral definitely has the upper hand in this match-up. The Irish have beaten the Falcons the past 2 years and seem to have their number. The Irish sport 11 city champions compared to only 4 county champs for Perry Meridian.That, combined with the humbling loss to Mishawaka may prove to be too much for the weary Falcons to overcome. It should be a great dual meet (as it has been the past 2 years), but in the end it just seems like a very tall mountain to climb for the Falcons.

how can you compare the city tournament to the county? no comparison...falcons will definitely come out on top in this one

perry is OVERRATED , again . just like every year , if this was a grade school tournament perry would hands down win , the feeder program down here is amazing but as for high school , seems the coaches just cant get it done .

You must be one bitter SOB.  Were you not able to crack the varsity lineup at Perry is that why your so bitter or are you just that stupid.

Though the County Tournament seemed weaker this year by a long shot that most years, the City Tournament can't hold the County's jockstrap. I wish it was different, but it is not. One day we will all be one happy family within Marion County when the County schools and IPS merge. Until then, we will just have to honor our commitment to the ArchDiocese.

No line-up breakdowns? C'mon. That is the least you can do if we are cracking on each other's programs. I think Perry wins by 15 or so. They have much more depth than the Irish. Tonte, McKinley, Bova, Johnson, Cooper. Wow. 

Who has Perry lost to in the last 2 years?  Cathedral and the eventual state champs.  Mishawaka & CP.  These are not the same teams on either side.  No "murderers row" for Perry this year.  I think both teams are down a bit.  Should be a great match up though.  Good luck to both teams!!

I feel like there have been two different Cathedral teams this year. The team at Traicoff was missing several guys, and then they looked like a Top 10 team again for a while, and then they finished 3rd place, behind Roncalli in a recent individual tournament.

Perry Meridian definitely has some weak spots in their lineups, but I am not sure Cathedral has enough horses to win 7 matches against Coach Tonte.

This is using the line ups from that I could find:

Cathedral                               Perry Meridian

103: #6 Mike Venezia vs #16 Nick Bova

112: #8 Brian Harvey vs #6 Jared McKinley

119: John Hummel (city champ at 112) vs Michael Clem

125: Alex Collignon vs Jason Simmons

130: John Stringfield vs Joey Klinesmith

135: Sam Oskins vs Kenny Harris

140: Gino Gillum vs #14 Kirk Johnson

145: Max Hamm vs #10 Derek Harz

152: Austin Niebarger vs #3 Jacob Tonte

160: #2 Tyler Willis vs Nick Witten

171: Casey Devlin vs CJ Martin

189: Steven Hackle vs Andre Richards

215: #5 Jake Buchanan vs #15 Logan Cooper

285: Wesley Stokes vs Devin Schaefer

If there are any changes, please let us all know. Should be good!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.